Page 1 of 4
Note to mods: please change title to "Progressive Nation 2008 Tour." Thanks!

http://dreamtheaterforums.org/index.php?topic=7048.0

As far is i'm concerned, this is the best tour of 2008, and has the potential to be the best for a very long time. Dream Theater played their last North American tour like they were in their 20's, full of energy and still as technically astute as ever. Opeth are in somewhat of a hot seat, but still have a fantastic back catalog to draw tracks from. I don't know much about 3, but Portnoy has picked great supporting acts so far, so i'm sure they won't disappoint. And lastly BTBAM have released two stellar albums in the past few years, and I am very excited to be able to see them live.

Who's excited?

Dates announced!

http://dreamtheaterforums.org/forum/index.php?topic=10213.0

"DREAM THEATER’S “PROGRESSIVE NATION 2008” featuring OPETH, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME and 3 North American Tour Dates
Tues April 29th - Mexico City, Mexico - National Auditorium
*Fri May 2nd - Los Angeles, CA - Gibson Amphitheater
Sat May 3rd - Oakland, CA - Paramount Theater
Mon May 5th - Seattle, WA - Wamu Theater
Tues May 6th - Vancouver, BC - Orpheum
Fri & Sat May 9th & 10th - Calgary, ALB - Macewan Hall
Mon May 12th - Minneapolis, MN - Myth
Tues May 13th - Chicago, IL - Rosemont Theater
Wed May 14th - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore
Fri May 16th - Columbus, OH - LC Amphitheater
Sat May 17th - Cleveland, OH - Time Warner Amphitheater @ Tower City
Sun May 18th - Albany, NY - The Armory
Tues May 20th - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theater
Wed & Thurs May 21st & 22nd - New York, NY - Terminal 5
Mon May 26th - Washington DC - DAR Constitution Hall
Tues May 27th - Richmond, VA - The National
Wed May 28th - Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
Fri May 30th - Miami, FL - The Fillmore
Sat May 31st - Orlando, FL - Hard Rock
Sun June 1st - Tampa, FL - Ruth Eckerd Hall
Wed June 4th - San Juan, Puerto Rico - Coliseo of Puerto Rico *

* the Mexico and Puerto Rico dates will be Dream Theater with special guests Between The Buried And Me (Opeth and 3 will NOT be appearing on these 2 dates)

New York progressive metal pioneers DREAM THEATER are set to unveil the maiden voyage of “PROGRESSIVE NATION”. A package tour they will headline that will also feature the talents of OPETH, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME and 3.

The tour is the brainchild of DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy who explains: “I’ve been wanting to assemble a package tour like this for many years now. With all of the festivals and package tours that go through America, I’ve been talking with our manager and agent for over 10 years now about doing something that focuses on the more progressive, musician-oriented side of hard rock and metal. I decided it was time to stop talking the talk, lace up and finally walk the walk”

While DREAM THEATER co-headlined 2005’s GIGANTOUR along side MEGADETH, as well as embarking on previous co-headlining runs with both QUEENSRYCHE and JOE SATRIANI and opening slots for YES, DEEP PURPLE and IRON MAIDEN, they have primarily built their 22 year career on the road playing solely to their own audience. Portnoy comments: “I’ve always prided myself on personally hand picking new and exciting opening acts to open for DREAM THEATER in the past. Bands such as PORCUPINE TREE, SYMPHONY X, SPOCK’S BEARD, FATES WARNING, PAIN OF SALVATION and KING’S X. In all of these cases, it was important for me to pick bands that I respect and admire but also ones that I know our fans will enjoy. And I think playing with DT has helped expand all of those band’s fanbases as a direct result. I am hoping PROGRESSIVE NATION will continue to do the same thing in offering an audience for more daring and experimental acts that otherwise may not get the mainstream exposure they so rightly deserve.”

Joining the bill for this inaugural run is Sweden’s legendary OPETH who have been enjoying an ever-growing and expanding audience of their own for many years now. DT’s Roadrunner Records label-mates will be ready to unleash their new album "Watershed" next spring and PROGRESSIVE NATION should be a great launching pad for their next World Tour cycle. Guitarist/Vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt adds: "We're very excited about this upcoming tour with DREAM THEATER. It will be the first tour that we're doing in support of our upcoming record, and also somewhat of a dream come true personally as I've been a fan of theirs for a long time. It's quite intimidating to be on the bill with such amazing musicians but obviously we'll try and give them a run for their money and pull out a few nice licks of our own. I guess we'll need to practice a little bit for this....how boring! Yet, I can't wait for this tour to start and I'm sure we'll have a blast with the DT guys as well as together with the other bands on the bill!"

North Carolina’s BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME are enjoying rave reviews and critical acclaim for their latest CD “Colors” and are looking forward to sharing the stage each night with both DREAM THEATER and OPETH. Vocalist/Keyboardist Tommy Rogers comments: "We are very excited to be touring with two bands that have been such an integral part of our musical upbringing. It is a wonderful opportunity to have our music heard by new ears."

Also on the bill with their unique blend of pop, funk and hard rock is upstate New York’s 3 who issued the following statement: "3 is very pleased to announce its participation in the PROGRESSIVE NATION tour. For well over a decade DREAM THEATER has been the vanguard of progressive rock and we are completely psyched to flex with these heavyweights, playing much of our new record "The End is Begun". This package will rock and awe fans everywhere as one of the most important tours of the year. It's a progressive way of music, a progressive way of life....welcome to the PROGRESSIVE NATION tour.”

DREAM THEATER are currently in the middle of their “Chaos In Motion” World Tour which has already traveled extensively throughout Europe, North America, Asia and Australia in support of their latest Roadrunner Records CD “Systematic Chaos”. The World Tour will continue through March in South America before concluding with PROGRESSIVE NATION in North America.

Portnoy hopes that this first venture of PROGRESSIVE NATION will prove to be a success that can enable himself and DREAM THEATER to continue the package into future years and begin a tradition that musicians and fans alike can count on for quality musicianship and artistic integrity on future tours. ONE NATION, UNDER PROG...www.progressivenation2008.com (coming soon!)"
Last edited by Mr. President at May 18, 2008,
Great lineup.

Europe dammit
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Great lineup.

Europe dammit

+1

To see Dream Theater and Opeth and BTBAM together......*is lost for words*

I just came.

I've been dreaming of a tour like this for the longest time.

I don't care about the price, I'm ****ing going to that ****.
I will start walking now if I have to.
Spiral Out
I got excited and then saw where the tour was for.

What the hell. That's such a perfect line-up. Damn!!
I think the only thing that would make this complete for me is if Tool were also on the tour.

Now THAT! would be a gift from God.
Spiral Out
meh, its an alright tour. I really want to see Dream Theater. Ive seen Opeth 5 times and they bore me live. Btbam are just horrible in every single aspect.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Terror Kovenant
meh, its an alright tour. I really want to see Dream Theater. Ive seen Opeth 5 times and they bore me live. Btbam are just horrible in every single aspect.

How is BTBAM bad? =|

Actually, I take retract my previous post. What the hell do you do at a prog metal show? Mosh during heavy parts, hug each other during the interludes?
Quote by Terror Kovenant
Btbam are just horrible in every single aspect.

lol
Quote by Tehzekester
How is BTBAM bad? =|

because they make horrible music. boring, sissy, core bull**** that morons confuse for metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Should be a damn good show.

This'll be Lucky #7 for Opeth shows under my belt.

I live in Boise, but I'm sure they'll go to Vegas, Seattle, or SLC.
One of the last band that comes to mind when I think of boring, and what's so bad about hardcore? Sure, most metalcore sucks, but BTBAM is wonderful.

Yeah, hardcore never influenced metal. EVER. METAL CAME OUT OF NOWHERE. Ignorant ****.
Quote by Tehzekester
How is BTBAM bad? =|

Actually, I take retract my previous post. What the hell do you do at a prog metal show? Mosh during heavy parts, hug each other during the interludes?

Never thought about that.
Maybe take a breather?
And hell, not everyone moshes. I only mosh to really heavy songs, or songs I really love.
Spiral Out
Quote by Tehzekester
How is BTBAM bad? =|

What you should do during interludes is find a hot chick and start rubbin' up against her ass. Hot chicks show up at Opeth shows... maybe one of 'em will give you an HJ, or maybe even a quickie in the bathroom
Quote by JC13
Good.. It ISN'T just some weird form of Deja Vu. I think someone posted this in the Opeth thread... but yeah, I really want to see some tour dates... Living in an area where North American tours come about 50% of the time really makes you worry until they're released. .

AND YOU STILL END UP WORRYING ABOUT CANCELLATIONS! All the way up 'til you see 'em take stage you're thinking, "****. I'll bet something happened and they're not gonna play tonight. ****."
This looks good, but BTBAM doesn't really thrill me, and I've never heard 3, so I won't comment. To be honest, the only reason I'd really go is for Opeth. That said, I'll probably get tickets, but I'd really rather see Opeth with a different line-up.
Quote by Terror Kovenant
because they make horrible music. boring, sissy, core bull**** that morons confuse for metal.

I've never heard of 3, but it sounds fucking awesome. Three of my favorite bands.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by Terror Kovenant

BTBAM is actually a very talented band. They are one of the only metalcore bands that I think are pretty good and they are more original than any other metalcore band that I have ever heard with the progressive elements they have.

This seems like a tour I might want to go to.
Quote by IronMaiden5
BTBAM is actually a very talented band. They are one of the only metalcore bands that I think are pretty good and they are more original than any other metalcore band that I have ever heard with the progressive elements they have.

This seems like a tour I might want to go to.

I didnt say the werent talented. They can play their instruments well, they just make horrible music.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
I didnt say the werent talented. They can play their instruments well, they just make horrible music.

That's your opinion, so fair enough.
Quote by IronMaiden5
That's your opinion, so fair enough.

i guess you didnt get the memo, my opinions are fact. Accept me as your new god. All your base are belong to me

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Freakin' awesome. Opeth and Dream Theater are two of my favorites. Haven't checked out BTBAM yet.

I've seen 3 live, when they supported Porcupine Tree a few weeks ago. They were great, the singer pulled off a sick guitar solo on the acoustic he was playing. They have one video, for the song All That Remains.
This is going to be an amazing show and I'm going regardless of where they're playing.

I'll have a bourbon.
Quote by Terror Kovenant

+1

I've never seen Opeth live, but I would love to see Dream Theater again. And yes, btbam are complete ****.
Yes, I saw 3 when they toured with Porcupine Tree earlier in the year (they didn't come to San Francisco in their more recent tour, damn them) and they were great. They play really well together. But then I decided to give one of their albums a listen at my local record shop and their recordings sound pretty bad. Ah well
I'd go just to see Opeth and BTAM, I really don't care for Dream Theater. This tour should have Opeth headlining instead of Dream Theater Imo.
I can't wait. I've been longing for a chance to see Opeth and I missed Dream Theater over last summer, so this will be amazing.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Tehzekester
Dream Theater sells more, they organized it, so they headline it.

I know that...
Holy crap. I just heard that band 3 on Music Choice... I hope the Demon of the Fall devours that band. Has Mikael even heard that band? I'd be pissed if I was him. Makes me want to vomit all over my computer screen.
I have never listened to 3 or BTBAM, but Opeth and DT alone have me hooked. I want to see this. It would be my first time seeing Opeth and the other bands, and my second seeing DT (who are incredible live imo). Put Opeth into it, and you've the skillfull, somber, beautiful, and brutal all in one.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
I have never listened to 3 or BTBAM, but Opeth and DT alone have me hooked. I want to see this. It would be my first time seeing Opeth and the other bands, and my second seeing DT (who are incredible live imo). Put Opeth into it, and you've the skillfull, somber, beautiful, and brutal all in one.

You have described Opeth beautifully. And I would say that BTBAM are one of the few original metalcore bands out there.

I'll have a bourbon.
That band "3" sounds like if Geddy Lee joined a folk rock band. Even James LaBrie has more balls than them...

But this tour sounds promising. BTBAM are one of the only "core" bands that can contend with the likes of prog metal gods like DT and Opeth
Quote by Charlatan_001
That band "3" sounds like if Geddy Lee joined a folk rock band. Even James LaBrie has more balls than them...

I think what people don't get about this tour is that it isn't about balls. It's about PROGRESSIVE music, not purely metal.

I think all four bands are great. I'm especially digging BTBAM's "Colors" right now, but what would have made this lineup even more complete would be to have Porcupine Tree in there.

That's something people would be talking about for years...
Last edited by Flibbertigibbet at Nov 6, 2007,
Page 1 of 4