Page 1 of 3
Well the singer in my band wants to play guitar as well making it three guitarists and everyone else in the band is ok with it except the bassist. I'm ok with it for some songs but he wants to do this with all of our songs and he wants to be lead guitar. I was just wondering how many bands have the singer play lead guitar when there is another guitar in the band. I'm pretty sure Dave Mustaine is Rhythm guitar.
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
just play both. If he has a cool solo, let him play it.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy. Actually he's the only guitar in the trio and damn is he ****ing sick. Dare I say one of the best shredders going right now?
Children of Bodom.

and Mustaine does solo's too IIRC
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Sounds like an egomaniac to me.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Mustaine plays some lead as well.
Paul Gilbert sings sometimes and plays lead guitar.
Muhammed Suicmez from Necrophagist sings and plays lead.
Billy Gibbons in ZZ Top does it as well I believe.

There are tons of people who do it, if he wants to and your band doesn't mind then go for it.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Hendrix was the only guitarist and singer in the Experience (with the exception of back-up vocals and a few songs done by Mitch and Noel). He did fairly well at playing both lead and rhythm while singing.

(Not saying he sang particularly well, but he still did it.)
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Three guitars together can sound a mess or make it sound heavier than you ever imagined possible. Let him do it for a while, and if it doesn't work out tell him to stop and focus on singing. Most vocalists are restricted by their guitars anyway, no point having that if it doesn't even make a difference musically.

Oh, Josh Homme. Lead, and damn good at it.
Last edited by red157 at Nov 5, 2007,
Mustaine is the only one I can think of right now who sings and does half of the solos
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Little-know Adrian Smith and Project did that w/ Adrian Smith (from Iron Maiden) on lead guitars and vocals. Same for his band the Untouchables.. and others he's been in.

And of course Satriani's done it on a few tracks

PM if you'd like to collaborate on any rock/hard rock/metal stuff
      Quote by Side Effect
      Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy. Actually he's the only guitar in the trio and damn is he ****ing sick. Dare I say one of the best shredders going right now?

His songwritings bloody brilliant, but I have to say he's pretty sloppy, and his music is most definitly not considered shredding.
      Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
      Carvin CT-4
      Ibanez TS-9
      Carvin Quad-X
      TC Electronics G-Major
      Mesa/Boogie 2:90
      Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
      Muhamed from Necrphagist.
      Akelfeldt from Opeth.
      Mark Knophler frm Dire Straits.
      Quote by DieGarbageMan
      can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
      usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
      Matt Heafy, he's the secondary guitarist but he does have some seriously tricky stuff to play whilst singing.
      Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
      Add!

Quote by marko'd
      dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
      + MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
      Alexi laiho from children of bodom. 'nuff said. but i guess what really matters here is if the singer guy is any good at guitar. cuz if he isnt then there isnt any point in having him play lead
      dude my friend and i had an argument about not having a rhythm guitar in a band at all...i say there is a need for a rhythm guitar
      Hawthorne Heights, there main singer plays guitar, making it a 3 guitar outfit.
      Quote by demoniacfashion
      Is there any black people on UG?
      I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
      they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
      Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
      Eric Clapton
      Quote by Skraeling86
      That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
      Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

When the lead singer plays lead guitar, no one in the audience pays any attention to anyone else.
      Creedence Clearwater Revival
      Allman Brothers (When Dickey Betts Sings)
      Beatles
      Pink Floyd (When Gilmour sings)
      The Who (When Townshend Sings)
      And Who can forget ERIC CLAPTON?
      Quote by Metalology
      Muhamed from Necrphagist.
      Akelfeldt from Opeth.

Quote by Side Effect
      Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy.

Ooooo yeah!
      Nuno Bettencourt in Dramagods. He's got a damn good voice too!
      Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
      Quote by AvengedThrice
      True that. True that.
      Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
      Starscream
      p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
      Johnny Thunders (from Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers) played lead and sang. He was definitely right to do it. And personally, I notice the other members of the band, even if they're not the singer or lead guitarist. That's like saying that if the singer isn't playing lead, only the singer and lead guitarist are noticed. Not true.
      DOWN&OUT
      There's plenty of bands that just have one guitarist who sings as well...and some of them do it really well

But in all honesty...your singer just sounds like an egomaniac
      Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
      Billy Corgan-smashing pumpkins.....duh
      PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
      Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
      Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
      Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
      Did Dissection?

I've recently gotten into them, and only the album Reinkaos, at that, which is a farking masterpiece.. shame the dude was a buttnugget.

PM if you'd like to collaborate on any rock/hard rock/metal stuff
          Rivers Cuomo, simple leads, but still leads.

anyway, maybe u and ur other guitar player can learn some lead, so the singer
          can focus on singing.
          rhythm guitarists = same thing bassist plays.

they're completely useless unless the lead guitar is seriously ALL LEADS.

Alexi Laiho obviously
          Dave Mustaine shares lead/rhythm with Glen Drover just like MKH shares with Corey Beaulieu
          Necrophagist
          7th Son

but the thing is, all lead singer/lead guitarists SHARE the lead, they don't keep it...except for alexi laiho...because he's cool like that and owns your face
          Quote by !@#$
          When the lead singer plays lead guitar, no one in the audience pays any attention to anyone else.

yeah, i'd totally ignore Roope Lavtavla (sp?) if I had the chance to see Children Of Bodom live
          Quote by Skippy_McNutty
          Well the singer in my band wants to play guitar as well making it three guitarists and everyone else in the band is ok with it except the bassist. I'm ok with it for some songs but he wants to do this with all of our songs and he wants to be lead guitar. I was just wondering how many bands have the singer play lead guitar when there is another guitar in the band. I'm pretty sure Dave Mustaine is Rhythm guitar.

well if hes good theres no reason why you couldnt use three guitarists like maiden do but to me he just wants to be the centre of attention. as a general rule most people in the audience will be looking at the singer most of the time and then the lead guitarist during a solo, as far as i can tell he wants to be looked at the whole time. he sounds like a fag actually you should kick him out
          Quote by Side Effect

STFU, he's so much more creative that 'shredding', ghostships ftw, and yeah he is pretty sloppy but can you blame him?
          Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
          rhythm guitarists = same thing bassist plays.

I am disgusted and inulted by your ignorance and stupidity.

Firstly, you assume the bassists and the rhythm guitarist just play root notes and power/bar chords respectivly.

Secondly, they have completely different tones and ranges of pitch, so what sounds good on each is different.

And to the TS, yes three guitars can work (Iron Maiden), but he soundsl ike he just wants to do it to look cool. Tell him to focus on his singing, as unless he is an awful singer or a brillant guitarist, it is better that two guitars play and he sings to the best of his ability.
          Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
          Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
          Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
          gm jack knows everything
          +1
          Page 1 of 3