will the peavey 6505 combo sound basically the same as the 6505 head? will there be a difference in sound other than volume? and is the 5150 the exact same as the 6505? does the 6505 have more gain?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
1. Not entirely sure. But I remember someone saying that Peavey made the combos to sound like the heads.

2.Probably not.

3.No the 6505 and 5150 have the same amount of gain.\

But look for the mother of 6505 and 5150 thread next time.
yea, i have a 5150 head n the 5150 cab, with a marshall 1960 cab, and my friend has the 6505. We went amp to amp, and IMO my 5150 with the 5150 cab, sounded better then just the 6505 combo. But some people say the combo is better then 1/2 stackz. Go try some out before you buy tho.

and yes the 5150 are the same, execpt the name.

IF you like Metal, GET IT.
was it much better or just a bit better?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
with the combo you get limited sound projection and im guessing, greater low end from the two speakers.

with a head/cab setup you also have the tonal qualities of the cab plus wider sound projection, especially if the cab is angled - like the 1960A
The only difference between the head and combo is that the combo comes biased a bit warmer which should make it sound slightly better (that is if you pretty a warmer, more dynamic tone). Im a halfstack guy myself, but the 5150 combos are very good.
The only difference between the head and the combo is the combo is biased warmer, giving it a slightly better tone (imo). The 6505+/5150 II's gain also sounds slightly smoother to my ears and not as harsh as my 5150 does.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The only difference between the head and the combo is the combo is biased warmer, giving it a slightly better tone (imo). The 6505+/5150 II's gain also sounds slightly smoother to my ears and not as harsh as my 5150 does.

Its been said brother. *post #6* Jk. But Im glad someone else agrees with me that the combo sounds a bit better than the head!
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Its been said brother. *post #6* Jk. But Im glad someone else agrees with me that the combo sounds a bit better than the head!

Haha yeah I guess I didn't refresh
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
was it much better or just a bit better?

But you could always buy a cab and it'l go with your combo, thats what Matrix does i take it.
I just like a 412 better then a 212, not that its bigger, or looks better, i just simply like the tone more. And it's not a big differnce, but as stated before about sound projection. (read the quote below, good job Haz.

with a head/cab setup you also have the tonal qualities of the cab plus wider sound projection, especially if the cab is angled - like the 1960A