Hey, ive only been playing about 2 and a half months but im in a Progressive Speed Metal band and was wondering..

Finger picking Metal? May be a stupid question..but i know other Bassists in the scene here and they all use picks, but i cant play with a pick, i find it pretty much impossible for metal.
I know the bassist from As Blood Runs Black plays with his fingers but hes all ive really picked up on that does it.

I just want to know what you guys think.
use three fingers, and always remember, if the guitarist(s) are playing sixteenth notes at 240 bpms, it doesn't mean you have to.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The bassist from Cannibal Corpse uses his fingers as far as I know know, and I'm pretty sure he's quite the bass player.
just adapt your style to sound metal while not playing as many notes. Not nessecarily slower, just fewer notes
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
I can play all the notes, have the speed behind it and have better timing than our Guitarists. But as i said ive been playing for 2 1/2 months. Just wondered if there was anything wrong with it.
Guy from Opeth uses his fingers.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
gobs of metal guys (probably the best ones) all use their fingers. I do, but I also use a pick for a few things as well. But my metal is 97% finger-generated.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by In_This_Moment
Hey, ive only been playing about 2 and a half months but im in a Progressive Speed Metal band and was wondering..

Finger picking Metal? May be a stupid question..but i know other Bassists in the scene here and they all use picks, but i cant play with a pick, i find it pretty much impossible for metal.
I know the bassist from As Blood Runs Black plays with his fingers but hes all ive really picked up on that does it.

I just want to know what you guys think.

You obviously don't listen to much metal

Dan Briggs (BTBAM)
Steve DiGiorgio (Sadus, ex Death, lots of other bands)
Tony Choy (Atheist)
Sean Malone (Cynic)
Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse, Hate Eternal)
John Myung (Dream Theater)
Paolo Gregoletto (Trivium)
Orion (Behemoth)
James Macdonough (Megadeth, ex Iced Earth, ex Nevermore) he plays with both pick and fingers, but is proficient at both
Juan Alderete (not quite metal, but Racer X and The Mars Volta)
etc.

It's very possible to play with fingers - some of these bassists play extremely fast with fingers. You just need to practice.
^ Charlatan_001 is spot on, the best of the best Metal Bassists use Finger-Style, more importantly dedicate your self to learning the 3-Finger Style.

It's not the smoothest style in some situations/time sigs, but comes in handy for straight runs/ triplet runs.
ahh i play funk metal and im slapping all day and fingers, and i play punk with pick, but is ur choice, everyone who uses a pick says that it gives u speed to songs but i bullcrap

and srry if my english is wrong im from Azeroth
You're playing speed metal after 2 months of playing. Nobody teach you the art of taking it slow. You can **** yourself up pretty bad if you go to fast with the experience you have.
The jazz student
Quote by jazz_croatia
You're playing speed metal after 2 months of playing. Nobody teach you the art of taking it slow. You can **** yourself up pretty bad if you go to fast with the experience you have.

+1

But if you're timing is good, it doesnt have to be a problem. Like said, he can play 8ths in stead of 16ths.
Don't rush yourself, play only if youre enjoying it, not just to be in a band.
Maybe a stupid question, but what makes playing with a pick on a bass so hard? Is it because of the habit of playing with your fingers or something?

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
i play primarily metal and play with my fingers, it just takes practice and then your fine, also if you can do two or even three figners you will have no troubles keeping up.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Charlatan_001

Juan Alderete (not quite metal, but Racer X and The Mars Volta)
etc.

If he can play Scarified with his fingers, it is proof that fingers can play pretty damn quick. Purely a matter of practise.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
If he can play Scarified with his fingers, it is proof that fingers can play pretty damn quick. Purely a matter of practise.

Ive actually seen him only use picks, you sure he plays fingerstyle?
Quote by Waters?
Ive actually seen him only use picks, you sure he plays fingerstyle?

I know he uses picks occassionally, but I could swear I saw they play that songlive and he was using fingers. (goes youtube hunting)

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by mountaindew88
gobs of metal guys (probably the best ones) all use their fingers. I do, but I also use a pick for a few things as well. But my metal is 97% finger-generated.

+1...I play less metal than I used to though. But most of the best metal players, in my opinion are fingerstlye players.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
You have been playing for two and a half months and you want to play prog speed metal? Aren't you forzing yourself a little bit? Even if you got the speed, do you have the stamina?

Sorry, but I had to ask.
Quote by watchingmefall
You have been playing for two and a half months and you want to play prog speed metal? Aren't you forzing yourself a little bit? Even if you got the speed, do you have the stamina?

Sorry, but I had to ask.

I do have to agree. Speed isn't instant, it comes from years of accurate playing with proper technique.

Focus on accuracy and precision now speed will come in time.

For example, today, out of the blue I could play the main riff to YYZ almost perfectly at full speed, while two months ago I gave up at just over half speed.

Let speed come, don't rush and become sloppy.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I do have to agree. Speed isn't instant, it comes from years of accurate playing with proper technique.

Focus on accuracy and precision now speed will come in time.

For example, today, out of the blue I could play the main riff to YYZ almost perfectly at full speed, while two months ago I gave up at just over half speed.

Let speed come, don't rush and become sloppy.

There is something that concerns me more than just speed. And that is stamina. Stamina at high speed. And that takes ages to develop.
Quote by watchingmefall
There is something that concerns me more than just speed. And that is stamina. Stamina at high speed. And that takes ages to develop.

Definitely. I can play pretty fast for maybe 15 second bursts, but then I'm done and my hand seizes up.

And Juan Alderete plays almost exclusively fingerstyle in the Mars Volta, and they've got some pretty crazy **** going on so..
Ohkay to answer most of it...

Im playing this type of Music because i enjoy it, not because of the band. I was practicing one time at school and one of my mates saw me and asked me. And i could already play the stuff they wanted to do so i was set.

And i dont know if this is odd but i have no problem with playing fast for long periods of time..i play Speed Metal because its fun, if it wasnt then i wouldnt be playing it or be in the band.

And taking it slow, yeah i dont know quite how to reply to that, i know what you mean and i get the reaction alot. Just something ive done, its worked out well.

And as i said..alot of the people in the metal scene HERE [New Zealand] Havnt seen many use fingers..

Cheers
Quote by In_This_Moment

And as i said..alot of the people in the metal scene HERE [New Zealand] Havnt seen many use fingers..

Cheers

You have the internet - there is no excuse!
Quote by gm jack
I know he uses picks occassionally, but I could swear I saw they play that songlive and he was using fingers. (goes youtube hunting)

to my knowledge, he never played with fingers before TMV.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by NokturnalRedEyz
As long as you can keep time it don't matter how or what you use to play

+1

and if you want to practice speed try doing scales and increase your speed every time you do them
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by UtBDan
to my knowledge, he never played with fingers before TMV.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isFPCMAcPZM

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1