I need to know what techniques to practice to be able to "shred"
Im not trying to be able to shred to impress everyone or whatever, I just need to bring my playing to a new level.
So what should i practice to improve myself to the "shred" type of playing?

thanks.
Call me Trey.
chromatics, and string skipping are essentials in my books.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
alternate picking, economy picking, string skipping, tapping, sweep picking, scales.. loads of stuff..

learn one at a time though and get each on perfect before moving onto the next one
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by Doodleface
chromatics, and string skipping are essentials in my books.

care to elaborate what chromatics are
Call me Trey.
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
care to elaborate what chromatics are

Chromatics are notes that are one semitone apart, such as B and C or E and F. Chromatic scales basically consist of all 12 standard notes but in terms of practicing what he/she means is that you need to get a metronome and practice playing in 16ths using all four of your fingers in a 1-2-3-4 pattern up and down the neck.

As far as I'm concerned there are 2 techniques that really define shred: Alternate picking and legato (hammers and pull-offs), once you can do those well you can play an aweful lot of things.

Also it's worth noting that 'string skipping' isn't a technique in itself; it's an extension of the concept of alternate picking as is economy picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Chromatics are notes that are one semitone apart, such as B and C or E and F. Chromatic scales basically consist of all 12 standard notes but in terms of practicing what he/she means is that you need to get a metronome and practice playing in 16ths using all four of your fingers in a 1-2-3-4 pattern up and down the neck.

As far as I'm concerned there are 2 techniques that really define shred: Alternate picking and legato (hammers and pull-offs), once you can do those well you can play an aweful lot of things.

Also it's worth noting that 'string skipping' isn't a technique in itself; it's an extension of the concept of alternate picking as is economy picking.

Alternate picking will make your "shredding" slower.... Economy picking is essential, along with sweep picking. Also othewr techniques such as STRING SKIPPING which IS a technique on its own. Legato etc.

cheers x
Work on the speed of your fingers but doing Chromatics, scales etc, work up your picking speed by alternate picking etc. Practice tapping as well, always helpful. Learn "Midnight" by Joe Satriani, good song to learn for it.
Quote by Guitar_Gangster
Alternate picking will make your "shredding" slower.... Economy picking is essential, along with sweep picking. Also othewr techniques such as STRING SKIPPING which IS a technique on its own. Legato etc.

cheers x

1) Alternate picking will not make you slower, alternate, just the same as economy, is as fast as your practice and quality of technique allows it to be and anway, it's just all extensions of the same idea.

2) String skipping is not a separate technique yes you're missing a string but what are you skipping over that string to do? Alternate picking. All you're doing is alternate picking on non-adjacent strings, that isn't a separate technique. I grant you it's advanced alternate picking but that's still what it is.

3) Sweep picking is not essential at all, if you practice you alternate picking and legato then you combine it with skipping strings then you can get the exact same arpeggios and shapes at the same speeds; see Paul gilbert for perfect examples of this (outro to Superheroes, Scarified et al.)
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 6, 2007,