Ive got this guitar right and it has been mostly sanded down

the body is two pieces of wood. But what type of wood do you think it is? i was thinking a
alder

would be great if you could help out
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
lol 50p means 50 pence you yank. And knickers are panties.

And over here our overweight is your average.

Fender Classic 50`s strat
Epiphone DR-200CE
Korg AX3000G
looks like plywood or some other fake-wood.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Maybe Agathis (not good). How much does it weigh, and what is the body from?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Doodleface
looks like plywood or some other fake-wood.

No it doesn't. Quit talking out yer bum. Also, plywood is not fake.
Quote by Pikka Bird

+1. anyway, to me, it looks alderish.
EDIT: Btw, it also looks 3 piece to me.
2-3 kilos

it came from a grx40 ibanez
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

Epiphone DR-200CE
Korg AX3000G
Quote by CJRocker
+1. anyway, to me, it looks alderish.
EDIT: Btw, it also looks 3 piece to me.

yeh actually it might be. but it seems to blend in as you go up the body
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

Epiphone DR-200CE
Korg AX3000G
so would it be an alder/agathis body?
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

Epiphone DR-200CE
Korg AX3000G
Quote by croc76
so would it be an alder/agathis body?

Could be 3 pieces of alder. It seems pretty consistent with Alder I've seen. I've never heard of agathis paired with alder. Also, the specs say alder.
Yup it's agathis, you can tell by the yellowish tint and the darker grain. Alder is a lot lighter in both grain and wood color. Alder should also have a straighter, more consistent grain. The wood in the picture is too dark to be alder.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by ML_Guitar09

yeh weird i kno...

i think it depends on what year it was.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

Epiphone DR-200CE
Korg AX3000G
Quote by AlGeeEater
Yup it's agathis, you can tell by the yellowish tint and the darker grain lines. Alder is a lot lighter in both grain and wood color.

Dur @ looking up the wrong model GRX. Thanks for clearing that up.

EDIT: Ok, now I know I was looking at the right thing. TS, that seems alder to me based off my experience with my Tele
Quote by Pikka Bird

+2

Hmmm.. I don't think it's agathis, agathis has a lot less contrast in it's grain.. well, lets use the process of elimination.

Its a light wood, which gives us things like Alder, Ash, Basswood, or Poplar (Aspen).

2-3 kilos is 3-7 pounds roughly (I think) so, a relatively light weight. Well, all of the woods I ahve listed are about that weight. Now it's down to grain patterns. That is not ash for sure... It doesn't seem to have any defects or oddities, alder usually (but not always) has some kind of knot or grain imperfection. Basswood is nearly featureless, and Aspen is nearly bone white.

I'm going to make an educated guess of alder, which often used in 2-3 piece bodies.

EDIT: Just read Algee's response... Now I'm stupid
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
you should probably dunk it in water so we can get it's volume, too

Ya know...to be safe
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
you should probably dunk it in water so we can get it's volume, too

Ya know...to be safe

Weight is a big factor in determining what species of wood and guitar is, I don't understand the uneducated, smart-ass response from you.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
It's been said a few times now, but I'm going to say it too... It is agithis
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CJRocker
Dur @ looking up the wrong model GRX. Thanks for clearing that up.

EDIT: Ok, now I know I was looking at the right thing. TS, that seems alder to me based off my experience with my Tele

I've never seen alder with such dark grain like the body in the picture. Alder and agathis look very much alike, hell I used to confuse my alder and agathis body blanks all the time. I didn't make my decision based off what some website said, I made my decision based off my experience of the two woods.
Once again, AlGee pwned us all.... so sad. +1, I love you.

In a platonic, no homosexual way?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Hello there.
While we're at it, would you woody wizards have a look at this:

Picture of finished wood

The dark streaks suggest basswood, but I don't know enough about any species of wood to tell for sure. Any wisdom?
Basswood? In my experience thats nearly featurless... Well I guess its all about grain patterns on this go hey? Do you know what kind of guitar it is? i.e. Make, model, year

P.S. I just farted and it smells like ice cream. Can any of you analysis experts tell me wtf THAT means?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
to me it looks like a 3 peice alder body every camera takes pictures a little dif color as for agathis i never seen that wood can you even buy a body blank made of that
Quote by Øttər
Basswood? In my experience thats nearly featurless... Well I guess its all about grain patterns on this go hey? Do you know what kind of guitar it is? i.e. Make, model, year

Yeah, I've seen some that's all gray and non-distinct, but I've seen some with streaks like this as well... And it's a 2005 Tokai Hardpuncher (Precision bass copy). I haven't been able to find any specs on it.
Ohh k. Ya well judging by the grain shape and appearance I'd go with alder.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by copperhead
to me it looks like a 3 peice alder body every camera takes pictures a little dif color as for agathis i never seen that wood can you even buy a body blank made of that

If you go to the right lumber yard you can buy a lot of 12/4 boards of agathis and virtually anything else you'd need.

It looks faintly like alder or poplar to me, but it's hard to judge something when there's a finish on top of it & having a crappy picture.
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by AlGeeEater
Weight is a big factor in determining what species of wood and guitar is, I don't understand the uneducated, smart-ass response from you.

uggh

yes, weight is a big factor, but you don't know how much wood you're dealing with. There's no way to tell the scale and overall size of the guitar he has. The only way to do that is to find it's volume. Then you can put it into more manageable terms. I expect better from you AlGee
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
It's safe to assume the guitar is (or about) the size of a standard strat body. Looks like it to me. I doubt the guitar would be twice the size of a strat body, cause thatd be a big overall guitar.
Fuzzycows5157: Well, you can make a rough estimate harnessing the power of the human brain. Dunking an unfinished body in water might not be recommended, you know.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
And the second one is more than likely Alder, but as AlGee said, it could in fact be Poplar.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
The coloring is similar to poplar but poplar has a more defined grain pattern. Alder has less defined grain and different coloring. The guitar is agathis.
Not taking any online orders.