Page 1 of 2
ok so i have been playing bass for about 4 years, then in the last year i started playing in the youth band at my church and we play a lot more frequently than i used to which has cause an extreme amount of pain for my fingers.

i try playing with picks but thats more tiring and doesnt sond as good to me.

my fingers have like gigantic blisters on the tips and i need some advice for finger safety lol
Happiness is like peeing your pants

everyone can see it but only you can feel its warmth
lolllllllllllllllll

um tape? lol.. you should be used 2 it damnit! GET THOSE CALICES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Dude are you serious? your a bass player for 4 years and u didnt develop catalysts? u must've played for like an hour every 3 weeks... anyways its gunna happen, thats being a bass player...

I wish I could develop catalysts on my fingers...
eventually your fingers will be hader on the ends, the only way to get them that way is to get some B-A blisters, let them pop, and then they'll become calises, which are hard.
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
do they mean CALLOUSES?

hmm
4 years and no callouses?
well, either put summat on ur fingers, use a pick, or dont complain
[=
I'mma FIIIIIRIN MAH LAZ0R

(Shoop da Woop)
Quote by The Pickle Man

haha that cracked me up too when i read it.

But yeah for those of you who have no idea whats going on, he meant calluses....

As to the answer, take a brake for a day or so, and then keep playing. It may hurt for a week or two, but after that you will develop calluses(parts of the finger that are less sensitive so they don't hurt as much), and you will become a much better player
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Quote by The Pickle Man

hahahahahahaha
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Dude are you serious? your a bass player for 4 years and u didnt develop catalysts? u must've played for like an hour every 3 weeks... anyways its gunna happen, thats being a bass player...

edit: **** i meant calices...

haha you still can't spell it right after editing your own post

ITS CALLUSES!!!!!
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Catalysts? This isn't science class.
I don't have any blisters and so forth but my hands are already used to it, maybe go down in string gauge?
I usually play for a few hours every day and iv'e never had a calluses, but my finger tips are harder than they were before I started playing.
no for some reason my finger are stupid and they dont get rough skin. and it sounds like im a complete noob but like a layer of skin will seriously just peel off and its gross
Happiness is like peeing your pants

everyone can see it but only you can feel its warmth
Make sure you aren't pulling the strings and are just kind of running your finger past them.
I've only been playing like 7 months and I have pretty good callouses...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
do they mean CALLOUSES?

hmm
4 years and no callouses?
well, either put summat on ur fingers, use a pick, or dont complain
[="[/QUOTE"]
sore fingers are a part of playing bass. when you get blisters, leave them alone for a couple of days, then you can drain them, but DON"T peel the skin away. thats what forms the, listen up people, Callouses. you can use tape, or a thin layer of super glue
(cynoacrylate), but be careful not to glue your fingers together. fingernail polish remover(acetone) will dissolve super glue, in case you do. lol
soaking sore fingers in pickle juice will speed the process, something about salt and vinegar, but it works. every bass player in this room has gone through this break-in
period. i can pick up a hot coal, with my fretting fingers. hang in there. we did!
Ive been play 2 and a half months and my fingers are solid. Though i do play like 2 or 3 hours a day at least.

Just rock it out so hard that eventually your fingers will either hurt so much that'll you'll never touch your bass again, or they develop them, i cant spell so im not even gonna try lol
lol i get huge blisters on my fingers all the time.. for some reason when i started i had pain but it never really like got to me like i dont feel it. same with acoustic guitar when i started i didnt feel much pain. mm idk but just keep going it'll be gone. i had practice almost everyday for one week for my church for anniversary and my fingers wre in like pain but not when i played idk how to explain lol
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
sore fingers are a part of playing bass. when you get blisters, leave them alone for a couple of days, then you can drain them, but DON"T peel the skin away. thats what forms the, listen up people, Callouses. you can use tape, or a thin layer of super glue
(cynoacrylate), but be careful not to glue your fingers together. fingernail polish remover(acetone) will dissolve super glue, in case you do. lol
soaking sore fingers in pickle juice will speed the process, something about salt and vinegar, but it works. every bass player in this room has gone through this break-in
period. i can pick up a hot coal, with my fretting fingers. hang in there. we did!

I still go through it every two days with upright. I can't seem to form upright calluses.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I still go through it every two days with upright. I can't seem to form upright calluses.

I think flatwounds are horrible for developing callouses. When I play flats, my fingers start to blister and go smooth instead of rough and hard (Entwistle said something similar on his Hot Licks DVD).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quit for a couple days. My fingers don't even feel hard but they don't hurt when I play. When I trim the nail too short though. ****!!!
I have calloueses from playing the double bass.I can even play Stainless steel rotosounds without my fingers hurting.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I have a question. Why are Rotosounds the example everyone judges by? Are they tougher than the average stainless steel string?

Yes.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
too bad jewish people dont have bands in rthe temple lol, and really i play 2 years never had blisters nd i didnt feel pain in my fingers
when i first started it was hell on my figners, but if you keep playing despite the pain it wont be long till you have callouses.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Callouses. you can use tape, or a thin layer of super glue

To the superglue I would also add "liquid skin". But make sure you remove it each day, because while it helps with the blisters, it can inhibit forming callouses in the long run. Keep playing and the callouses will come in time.

And I am the only one at work that seems not to need coffee sleeves. And I find the more I play bass, the less use I get out of potholders in the kitchen.
Quote by Subguy
too bad jewish people dont have bands in rthe temple lol, and really i play 2 years never had blisters nd i didnt feel pain in my fingers

I know for a fact that the Synagogue down the street from my school has a band that plays.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Ok call me odd, but Ive never had blisters.
I had 3-2 hours of rehearsal with the band ,Ive played a 1 hour gig playing some metallica and few originals and I practice daily, my fingers feel sore sometimes, but never had blisters.

When I started slapping, it did hurt, and my teacher said I'd get blisters, but I never did.
6 months have passed since I started slapping, and I never got blisters.

Is this somewhat odd, or should it still eventually come?
Me 2 I guess im some kind of freak aswell. I seem to not get blisters as well and I've been playing for 3.5 years. The skin just gets rough if anything it dosent build up or anything. And its just at my fingertips and not on my whole digit, Eh i dunno go figure.
The only pain I've ever really had is because I had horrible posture that ****ed me up. Oh and not to long ago the skin on my ring finger got ripped off, because I started doing a lot of sliding with it.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

Also, after you've drained a blister you can put some rubbing alcohol on it. this will dry it out quick (and disinfect it) and the skin will harden faster.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I've been playing for 6 years, went on a vacation for a week, came back, played a 4hrs rep. and had a blister. It's part of being a bassist.

If you can't stand the pain, go play the guitar
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
Quote by bassburton
Quit for a couple days. My fingers don't even feel hard but they don't hurt when I play. When I trim the nail too short though. ****!!!
I have calloueses from playing the double bass.I can even play Stainless steel rotosounds without my fingers hurting.

You have just figured out for me why my thumb nail hurts SO ****ing much.

Nail to short.
Hero lol
Quote by Mongoose87
I know for a fact that the Synagogue down the street from my school has a band that plays.

nice, but im hardcore jewish guy
Quote by TGM
Also, after you've drained a blister you can put some rubbing alcohol on it. this will dry it out quick (and disinfect it) and the skin will harden faster.

Yes, rubbing alcohol for the win. But if you don't have any of that around, you can use surgical spirit instead.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Hammett5
lolllllllllllllllll

um tape? lol.. you should be used 2 it damnit! GET THOSE CALICES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate using tape...I'd rather have it hurt...I think it sounds terrible...Maybe I did it wrong, I was only playing for two years or so I think at the time, but I'm not doing it again. It feels weird too.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Codeman26

my fingers have like gigantic blisters on the tips and i need some advice for finger safety lol

ive had them recently. burst them with a clean needle, then rinse and clean with antiseptic cream. Keep them clean but in the air. Let the outta skin peel off naturally and you'll be left with hard caluses.

Its worked wonders for me.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Didn't someone suggest setting their fingers on fire with lighter fluid a while back?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I only had blisters for like one day, I say suck it up. Dont waste your time with any glue, or any gimmicks.
Page 1 of 2