If I replace the speaker in my amp, which is 50 watts (tube), is there any rule about how much wattage a new speaker would need to be? I figure that a lower wattage speaker with a higher wattage amp, like a 30w speaker with my 50w amp, will break up at lower volume that, say, a 150w speaker in my 50w amp.

But that aside, I'm just wondering about how different wattages affects stuff.

unix
50 watts or higher

If you go lower and max your amp out you will stress the voice coil and it with eventually give way either in a big poof of smoke or it will eventually got scrtachy and lower quality till no noise comes out of it
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
Quote by Ashdownlover
50 watts or higher

If you go lower and max your amp out you will stress the voice coil and it with eventually give way either in a big poof of smoke or it will eventually got scrtachy and lower quality till no noise comes out of it

^^^ Yup
I would have personally said about 80w.

Amps have higher output when cranked than what they are rated for. If it's 50 watts RMS, that means that it is 50 watts CLEAN wattage, pre-breakup.

Or something like that. I don't really know the specifics, but you want higher than 50w I think.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile