how do i change tubes on a tube amp? is it hard? what do i need to know before changing the tubes?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Make sure the amp is unplugged and cooled down .

You just pull em out. Wrap it in a towel/cloth something and pull straight out.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
After u change em, take the amp and ask em to rebias the tubes for u. Prevents unnecesarry waer on em, and it sounds better with balanced tubes.
the amp i am looking at getting is a peavey 5150. does it have to be biased every time i change tubes?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
First, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE BOTTOM OF YOUR AMP CHASSIS (where all the wiring is). THERE ARE HIGH VOLTAGES PRESENT, EVEN WHEN THE AMP IS UNPLUGGED FROM THE WALL!
That being said, it's easy to change your tubes--->
Most power tubes just pull straight out. You may have to wiggle them a bit, but GENTLY. You don't want to open up the pin sockets in the tube sockets. Some amps have covers over the pre-amp tubes, so they would have to be removed first, usually a slight twist & pull up gently.
When removing the tubes, note where there's no pin, so the new tube will be properly oriented when you put it in.

If you replace only pre-amp tubes, just plug in the new ones & fire up the amp.
If you replace the output (larger) tubes, it's recommended that you have an amp tech reset the bias on your amp (it's like the voltage through the tubes). The exception to this is if you replace your power tubes with the EXACT SAME BRAND & TYPE of tube. Then you can likely get away without re-biasing, but ideally it would still be recommended.
Edit: Sorry I duplicated what some already stated. I just type too slowly.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011