Hey guys. I've been trying to get the right sound for weeks, but I can't get it. My question is: are there any specific techniques or ways to getting a good prog rock sound?
polyrhythmic stuff, often times jumping between keys in a seemingless sporatic order, ie, it doesnt fit theory wise, like raising a major key up a half step, or jumping from C major, to G minor, or something along that sort

using un-uniform groupings, ie, quintuplets, groupings of 7, 11, etc

also just a structure of a song, there is no verse and chorus, only a few riffs may be repeated, and each of those riffs will have several break downs, but its not a matter of trying to make a complex structure, its more of listening to where the music wants to go
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
polyrhythmic stuff, often times jumping between keys in a seemingless sporatic order, ie, it doesnt fit theory wise, like raising a major key up a half step, or jumping from C major, to G minor, or something along that sort

using un-uniform groupings, ie, quintuplets, groupings of 7, 11, etc

also just a structure of a song, there is no verse and chorus, only a few riffs may be repeated, and each of those riffs will have several break downs, but its not a matter of trying to make a complex structure, its more of listening to where the music wants to go

that's much more songwriting, not guitar techniques, although great advice none the less.

Progressive music is much too vague and vast in order to pinpoint what techniques you need. Anything goes really, legato, alternate picking, sweeping, tapping, tremolo picking.. anything. A prog sound is much more defined by the songwriting techniques the EZLN laid out.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
arpeggiated chords, mix intervals (ie a major or minor interval in imply chordal movement) dual guitars / unison leads can help. learn and use the modal system and some theory. thats the most basic and general of suggestions.
prog guitarists usually play very light (touch the strings as little as possible)
it will get you to sound waaay more fluent, furthermore, you want to swap between legato and picked pieces of phrases, for example not picking the accents and picking offbeat notes (still picking very lightly) will absolutely do the trick.. watchout for the awkward meassures here though, or you'll sound too chaotic, you want to keep it clean

but just techniques won't get you completely there, be sure you have a small amount of delay, a compressor, a high mid, and a relatively low high on the eq,

also, in a prog setting, i like to do this thing with a phaser, i use it mostly in fills, or building up this raise.. not sure how to call it, it's like an ascending sound getting louder, and at the top you can throw it in to a descend or whatever.. i'll try to explain how to do it, see for yourself.
so you don't really want a line, but a sound, you can modulate it with your master volume on the guitar (make sure the phaser is set at a high volume, and keep the master volume on the guitar around the middle.. the sound can come from stringskipping (one note per string ideas, or changing between one and two notes per string (like 1 2 2 1 (the bold ones being on one string, the normal ones on any other) ) but delaying yourself on releasing the notes, so they blur. at that time i like to go into an arpeggio, tapping some to harmonics, and raising the volume to get that phaser - wave

but thats not what you wanted to know just read the first bit again or something..
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
doodleface, true, didnt think of that

unless you think of it in terms of theory techniques but i know thats not what he was lookin for

what the above have mentioned is good
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.