I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now and am going to start playing a bit of bass

I've got a simple setup but no bass yet and was just wondering if it is necessary to have a bass amp for bass, can you use a normal amp for bass

If so what difference will it make?

Thanks for the advice
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???
ok thanks man

Quote by Tallman

Buy a Crate BT15 if money is a big issue. $70 I believe at GC. I just finally upgraded to a 2x10 stack yesterday, but the crate served me well while I was transitioning to bass. Same situation as you. Don't buy anything else in that price range. The rest is crap.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
ok

i was just wondering because I'm going to get a squire p bass starter pack and was wondering whether to get the pack or just the guitar

thanks for your help

Quote by Tallman

Quote by coolo

I've got a simple setup but no bass yet and was just wondering if it is necessary to have a bass amp for bass, can you use a normal amp for bass
Thanks for the advice

bass amps are "normal" for bass players.
guitar amps are not made to handle the frequencies of a bass. your little Frontman will last about 10 seconds, after you try plugging in a bass. now, run for your life.
'cause here they come! just a little pointer, read the exsisting threads(first 4 pages),
use the search window, and don't use the term normal, as it is relative, to your singular point of view.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
bass amps are "normal" for bass players.
guitar amps are not made to handle the frequencies of a bass. your little Frontman will last about 10 seconds, after you try plugging in a bass. now, run for your life.
'cause here they come! just a little pointer, read the exsisting threads(first 4 pages),
use the search window, and don't use the term normal, as it is relative, to your singular point of view.

totally agree with that last part, you can't come into a bass forum and ask if you can use a "normal amp" i mean of course you can use a normal bass amp, but but no go on a guitar amp, for reasons already mentioned, remember its not a matter of a crappy tone, its a matter of totally ruining your amp
Quote by ihatethischord
yo zorched i feel your equiptment

ya its alright, I'm re planning my guitar setup though. Still working a complete bass rig. Need to upgrade the Ibanez. I'm aiming for a fully gigable setup. I'm very happy with my new GK rig though. Big purchase for me, but well worth it.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308

Gtfo
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
no i dont think a bass amp will blow up my mate has done it before we even had it through a effex pedal

Quote by Tallman

Quote by coolo
no i dont think a bass amp will blow up my mate has done it before we even had it through a effex pedal

Tell me honestly why you think it's called a BASS amp.

And btw, no-one said a bass amp would blow. A guitar amp well could do if a bass is played through it.
Quote by coolo

First off its "effect".

Second of all, if you feel this way, why are you asking us, anyway? It sounds like you have made up your mind that since your mate has tried it, our opinions otherwise are wrong. And did you mean Bass or guitar? Because if you meant guitar.....

Third point. 83LesPaulStudio (and several others on this site) are both guitar and bass players. If you don't believe Rick (83lP) or anyone else, then perhaps you will when the inevitable happens. Which it will because there is a reason why guitar manufacturers make "guitar amps" and "bass amps" (Its not merely to glean more cash from the unsuspecting public...).
ok sorry for the argument ill leave now

Quote by Tallman

Quote by coolo

wow, so stubborn, people nicely offer you advice and yet you don't even take it seriously because "your mate" has done it,

can't wait till the "why did my bass blow my guitar amp?" thread
Quote by coolo

don't leave, we're just jacking with you! stay, look, listen, and learn, about bass!
there was a thread about this YESTERDAY
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Another option would be to go direct through the mixing board of a PA. A DI box would help. It's not the best option but I have had to make due with it a couple times.

When I am at home in my room, I usually just play through my PC.
Quote by coolo

See! See! It's not just me!

But yeah, why do you think they made the distinction between a bass and a guitar amp? Can you put bicycle tires on a car?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
wow cant wait for the next one of these, i think we should just take away the search function all together becasue it must be easier to start a new thread, argue with the answer you recieve and then leave.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by bazz_aaron
wow cant wait for the next one of these, i think we should just take away the search function all together becasue it must be easier to start a new thread, argue with the answer you recieve and then leave.

i say we start a petition to remove the search bar, as it is clearly never used, at all on this forum, when i started to post regularly on here, i thought people were just whining about some insignificant problem, but no, this is just ridiculous