http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP127-Split-P-Replacement-Pickup-for-Fender-P-Bass?sku=302265

Though I always planned on getting a Jazz bass if I were to ever get a Fender bass, this pup looks pretty sweet. Does it give your P-bass for versatility or would it still be a one trick pony?

Also, what would be a good Jazz bass pup that isn't terribly expensive?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Nov 5, 2007,
Most modern Fender MIM bodies (and probably MIA, for that matter) have the ol' hybrid swimming pool route under the pickguard. That means if you can get a new pickguard, you can put a P-bass pickup at the neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Most modern Fender MIM bodies (and probably MIA, for that matter) have the ol' hybrid swimming pool route under the pickguard. That means if you can get a new pickguard, you can put a P-bass pickup at the neck.

Sorry what? I don't think I understand.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
^It means that they just route away a big section under the pickgaurd instead of the rough shape of the pickup so they can mass-produce the same body for multiple bass models.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I've got these pickups in my P-Bass...

I'm not too sure if I like it. I find that it's making my P-Bass quite... bassy. But I do need to upgrade the bridge and put some new strings on it.

It's a pretty good pickup. I think. I can't really be sure.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I've got these pickups in my P-Bass...

I'm not too sure if I like it. I find that it's making my P-Bass quite... bassy. But I do need to upgrade the bridge and put some new strings on it.

It's a pretty good pickup. I think. I can't really be sure.

ha okay? God forbid a bass to be bassy

So I get the impression you don't like it. Would you say its versatile?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
I love it to death. When I built my P-Bass I used this pickup. It's perfect, even combined with my sub-par Behringer amp it cuts right through all the guitars and drums and even the 2nd bassist when I play. It's a pickup that's engineered to be perfect for either finger or pick attack which makes it very versatile. I don't think it makes my bass sound too bassy, but it does amplify the lows (it may have something to do with it being ceramic, but I'm not sure). It's a great pickup for the price, I say you should get it.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
ha okay? God forbid a bass to be bassy

So I get the impression you don't like it. Would you say its versatile?

I think, judging by Flummery's post, that my P Bass is a bit screwed to be honest.

I'd go with what he said to be honest.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

if you want versatility i subjust EMG P (active) or a duncan Quarter Pounder. it is obvious the split P is made to be agressive. it probably could get a wider veriety of sounds tho maybe enough for you but not the same amount as the pickups i listed formerly.

the increased bass response comes from the pickup becoming a humbucker. instead of single coil.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by thefitz

I think it was either Chris or Sinan or Bales who opened up their MIM and there is a little swimming pool but not big enough to fit a P bass pickup in without extra routing.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
I think it was either Chris or Sinan or Bales who opened up their MIM and there is a little swimming pool but not big enough to fit a P bass pickup in without extra routing.

I never mentioned it, but mine was P-Bass sized route.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!