A slang term for playing a lot of stuff very fast. It's not really a style of music or anything.
Search youtube for Paul Gilbert, that should get you to a textbook example of shred.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
francesco fareri. go to his website and look at his self posted videos. francescofareri.com.
the fastest guitarist i have ever seen.
Quote by ElBarto2811
you can really egsagorate (how the hell do you write that word??) the motion.

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD
Ibanez RG220B w/Dimarzio Tone Zone & Air Norton
Fender Deluxe PowerHouse Strat

Amp:
Marshall MF350 half stack
Quote by misterspiffy
francesco fareri. go to his website and look at his self posted videos. francescofareri.com.

But he's awful, he represents every argument that anti-shredders use and his music is terrible. Go with Paul Gilbert instead.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Definitely look up Jason Becker to see some swift shredding successfully s-executed.

Because it's that damned good.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
But he's awful, he represents every argument that anti-shredders use and his music is terrible. Go with Paul Gilbert instead.

well this isn't a "who's better" thread. they are both shredders. all he wanted to know was what shredding is.

listen to some buckethead too. the guy is fast as hell and is amazingly melodic in the process.
Quote by ElBarto2811

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD

Amp:
yeah, i would have to agree with the bucket head

try listening to jordan WITH the solo, it is pretty amazing
they call og or nothing at all!!
The favorite definition I've heard for shred is having no physical limitations to what you can play...if you can think it, you can play it.
Quote by chuck953688
The favorite definition I've heard for shred is having no physical limitations to what you can play...if you can think it, you can play it.

yeah...no.
128th note sweeping arpeggios at 300 bpm?
thats a terrible definition.

also. check out shane gibson at shaneguitar.com
he is a berklee grad.
Quote by ElBarto2811

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD

Amp:
Quote by misterspiffy
well this isn't a "who's better" thread. they are both shredders. all he wanted to know was what shredding is.

listen to some buckethead too. the guy is fast as hell and is amazingly melodic in the process.

I know it's not aq whos better thread but I would rather that someone be introduced to shred by someone who uses it well than one of the most tasteless guitarists I've ever seen. +1 on the Buckethead though.

chuck953688: I believe the quote (attributed to Guthrie Govan as far as I know) goes something more like: "At it's best, shred is complete freedom of musical expression on guitar."

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
YJM Yngwie Mamlmsteen, youtube it NOW XD

listen to trilogy, far beyond the sun and apreggios from hell
Quote by Second Rate
It's not really a style of music or anything.

Not at all
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Yngwie and Buckethead are my favorites.....Buckethead is a little strange but the songs grow on you...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

chuck953688: I believe the quote (attributed to Guthrie Govan as far as I know) goes something more like: "At it's best, shred is complete freedom of musical expression on guitar."

That's what I was trying to remember thanks
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I know it's not aq whos better thread but I would rather that someone be introduced to shred by someone who uses it well than one of the most tasteless guitarists I've ever seen.

there is a common argument. "who is better: steve vai or joe satriani?"
a lot of people say joe satriani because they find steve vai to be boring. i understand that. because satch writes beautiful songs and steve vai's songs, overall, are him just wanking on his guitar for 5 minutes. but it would be absurd for me to say he isn't a good guitarist.
francesco fareri's songs are more boring than steve vai's songs. i don't dispute that. at all. but to call him talentless is just freakin silly.
Quote by ElBarto2811

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD

Amp:
Quote by misterspiffy

Shred doesn't mean to play as fast as you can.

Shred(verb, tr.)

1. To tear or cut into shreds esp. small strips; to reduce to shreds

2. The play the crap out of an electric guitar; to display a level of cirtuosity that tears the audience a new arsehole; to devote your life to this, to the exclusion of all else.

The goal of shred is to play guitar with ferocious speed, deadly accuracy, piercing tone and crushing intensity.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by misterspiffy
steve vai's songs, overall, are him just wanking on his guitar for 5 minutes. but it would be absurd for me to say he isn't a good guitarist.

have you listened to him?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg

these are some essential "shredder" (though I despise this term):
- Joe Satriani
- Steve Vai
- Guthrie Govan
- Yngwie Malmsteen
- Eric Johnson
- Paul Gilbert
- Jason Becker
- John Petrucci
- Steve Morse

Some proto shredders:
- Eddy van Halen
- Ritchie Blackmore
- Lots of Jazz/Fusion players
Quote by misterspiffy
there is a common argument. "who is better: steve vai or joe satriani?"
a lot of people say joe satriani because they find steve vai to be boring. i understand that. because satch writes beautiful songs and steve vai's songs, overall, are him just wanking on his guitar for 5 minutes. but it would be absurd for me to say he isn't a good guitarist.
francesco fareri's songs are more boring than steve vai's songs. i don't dispute that. at all. but to call him talentless is just freakin silly.

Actually I think Satch is better because of his skills as a teacher but from a playing point of view I much prefer Vai and don't consider any of the songs of his I've heard to be nothing but wank, however if you do still think he does nothing but wank then I suggest you check out his album 'Sex and Religion' because it has vocals on most of the songs (done by Devin Townsend if anyone cares).

I can call Fareri talentless all I want and I don't think it's silly in the least he's got technique and that's all in my opinion; anyone, I repeat anyone can develop technique but not everyone can play something meaningful and that is what I class as 'talent'. I believe Fareri has no skill in playing anything that has any meaning thus; he is talentless to me.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.