Nope, not the high speed internet! I'm talking about the Marshall DSL100 with the JCM200 head, I'm thinking of getting one since my Fender Frontman 25R isn't that good... So, I'm going to ask a line up of questions that you can copy and paste so it will be easier to answer the Qs!

How well do you like the tone?
Does it still have that Marshall vibe into it?
What are good genres to be played with this amp?
Do you think this is practical for someone who doesn't have gigs and only use his garage for "Concerts"?
Is this overkill for my 220 sq. ft. bedroom?
And are there better stacks for the same price?

Thanks! (Me: ...praises you like a god for answers... )
ERIC CARTMAN MUST DIE!
Last edited by 4pnx at Nov 5, 2007,
Q: Should I get a 100 tube amp in my room?
A: Yes, if you like being deaf and having your neighbors setting your house on fire.

However, you could get an attenuator, or just a smaller amp.
I actually just want that Marshall vibe... I don't get that in the Fender Frontman 25 (it sounds blues like and gets crazily distorted and cracky when you go with a metal sound.)

I like how the DSL looks though and you can't beat that price for the famous look and tone!
ERIC CARTMAN MUST DIE!
Then what do you prefer for me to get? I play punk rock, old skool rock, and a little metal.
ERIC CARTMAN MUST DIE!
The Frontman sounds bad because it's a cheap solid state amp. If you get a tube combo, you'll get much better tone. A 5-15W tube amp is more than sufficient for bedroom practice, and there are lots of other manufacturers than Marshall that are worth a look.
Id only get it (the DSL) if youre planning on gigging often. If youre only gfoing to use the amp as a practise amp, you wont do much except piss off the neighbours.
Is the DSL100 really loud enough to be heard trough insulated walls???

My next choice is a valve junior combo, I like it because it only has 5W but it could power a half cab. Could this be used on gigs also if you're just just a rhythm guitarist?
ERIC CARTMAN MUST DIE!
just get the dsl50 if you want a half stack, no need to spend the extra money on the 100, you wont use all the volume on the 50 in a room anyway
Quote by 4pnx

My next choice is a valve junior combo, I like it because it only has 5W but it could power a half cab. Could this be used on gigs also if you're just just a rhythm guitarist?

Am, yeah it is. Also loud enough to be heard thru sound proof walls too!

get a nice 30/40 watt tube combo.

You want the marshall vibe, so go for a Orange Rocker 30. Pretty versitile with a Od infront and piles of tone.
Quote by 4pnx

YES!!!!!
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by 4pnx
Bump!

Wow a 12 minute bump, Pit dweller?

Anyway I find my 15 watt tube gets noisy very quickly in my bedroom so defiantly DO NOT get anything over 30 watts max, of course you can get something higher if you dislike your eardrums that much.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
Just get the 401. You don't need any sort of stack. The 401 is probably overkill, but a stack for bedroom playing is not a good idea.
100 watts in a tube amp is about 99 more watts than you need for bedroom practice.

I'm just imagining what would have happened if you had gone with the 100 watt tube amp, cranked it, and played a note. broken windows would ensue at least, and also deafness.

when I play my valve junior 5 watt tube amp is less than a quarter turn up and it still is clearly audible 1 floor down.
lol, ive got a marshall jcm 800 100w head with a marshall 1960a cab 4x12 that is 300w for my bedroom. I do gig a bit though in medium sized venues so its not like i just bought it to deafen myself.

If youre not plannin on giggin mate then get a smaller amp, my parents an neighbours hate me if i play my amp indoor.
www.myspace.com/bluecollars

My Gear
Fender telecaster deluxe 72
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall JCM 800 100w head
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
I just sold my DSL401 (yay!) and can tell you that you probably won't turn the master volume past 3 (9 oclock). It's verrrrrrrry loud.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by sidge222666
lol, ive got a marshall jcm 800 100w head with a marshall 1960a cab 4x12 that is 300w for my bedroom. I do gig a bit though in medium sized venues so its not like i just bought it to deafen myself.

If youre not plannin on giggin mate then get a smaller amp, my parents an neighbours hate me if i play my amp indoor.

100W=300W
Quote by sidge222666

The 300w is the peak power handling capability.

The most amount of power that can be put through it before mechanical clipping occurs, if you will.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
get the 401 instead, better for your room

tonewise, it's excellent, very moderd sound (if you're interested into getting vintage tones, stay away from it)
Quote by deluxity
get the 401 instead, better for your room

tonewise, it's excellent, very moderd sound (if you're interested into getting vintage tones, stay away from it)

could always get a vintage od pedal, iv got a behringer to800 vintage and it sound pretty good, although there will be plenty that sound better
dont own one, but play them/use them at work.

How well do you like the tone? (see above)
Does it still have that Marshall vibe into it? sort of. not quite as much as a jcm800 but it still has the characteristic marshall "roar". if you're expecting jcm800 or plexi tones, prepare to be unhappy.
What are good genres to be played with this amp? its suited to slightly higher gain stuff than classic rock. people (at my work) use them for metal and quite happy
Do you think this is practical for someone who doesn't have gigs and only use his garage for "Concerts"? no. its overkill. at most you would need 30W tube, and thats if your gigging
Is this overkill for my 220 sq. ft. bedroom? yes
And are there better stacks for the same price? you dont need a stack. get a small wattage tube combo, and you'll be happy. try a dsl401 or a dsl201 if you can get one (they're not made anymore)
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
The 401 is too expensive though. Checked it out on Musicians Friend and it's 1,140 dollars i think.
::type
wait for the peavey windsor studio!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
get a tiny terror w/ a 1x12. it would be great for that.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
Quote by punkrox101
The 401 is too expensive though. Checked it out on Musicians Friend and it's 1,140 dollars i think.

I just sold mine on Ebay for £285 ($570).

Granted it is used - it sold in 4 hours, I'm thinking I put it on too cheaply! Nevermind I hated the thing....
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
I dont like Orange amps at all but Id say try the rocker 30
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by punkrox101

how the **** is it too expensive if he can afford the dsl100??
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
^ It's overpriced for what it is.

The DSLs have a very modern sound, more so than JCM900s, so if you want that famous 'Marshall tone' that everybody loves stay away. They also sound poor at low levels, which is what you'd be running it at in a bedroom. Additionally, it (DSL401) has the same speaker as an MG100 and dreadful valves.

If you're willing to pay over the top for the name, want a modern style Marshall tone, are okay with it being poor sounding at low volumes, and have the cash to buy a new speaker and new valves, get it. Otherwise, just don't.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Don't think that because an amp is a certain name and so many watts, it's better value. Being 100 watts doesn't suddenly make it worth 2.5 what the dsl401 is and therefore good value.
Buying an amp is about tone. For your uses, even the DSL 401 will never sound that great because it won't be cranked... the speaker is complete arse, and that Marshall 'vibe' you want comes from cranked jcm800's which have been tweaked to buggery after the recording on the studio. I'd say get a Valvetronix or something. Very good practice amp, and ok for jamming in your garage.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.