Ok, here are our amps:

Me (bassist) - 300 watts
lead guitar - 120 watts
rythym guitar - 100 watts
drums - so far, we've only been using one microphone by the bass drum

With this gear, about how many people approximately do you think we'd be able to play in front of and still be heard well? (assuming we're spaced out well and the audience isn't too cramped)

Thanks!
Tube or SS, MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
a medium sized showroom or bar. if you want to be loud, your drummer will be drowned out. definately get more mics for him
Depends. Tube watts are much louder than SS watts. 100w tube can get u enuff volume for a stadium. 100w SS can get u enuff volume for a decently larger club maybe.
Almost any decent venue will have the equipment to mic you up, so it doesn't really matter that much. If you're doing a a house party or something where you don't have a proper PA you'll be fine with that wattage.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
i recon youve got almost a perfect amount of wattage. i think i read somewhere that bass amps need to be more watts than the guitars, but im not sure. id say ur looking at playing to anything up to 100/200 people..........without a PA system inplace. any venues or music events that would facilitate more than 200 people would definately have their own PA, in witch case you can just mike up ur amps and the skys the limit depending on how powerful the pa is and the speaker situation. in my profesional opinion you have a very comfortable amount of wattage amungst you, and even at high volume you shouldnt worry about drowning out the drums.

peace.
Quote by qotsa1998
Depends. Tube watts are much louder than SS watts. 100w tube can get u enuff volume for a stadium. 100w SS can get u enuff volume for a decently larger club maybe.

WHAT???? 100 watts is 100 watts.. Tube or SS it doesn't matter. That myth of "tube watts are louder than SS watts" is just that. A MYTH.
Quote by Rb123
WHAT???? 100 watts is 100 watts.. Tube or SS it doesn't matter. That myth of "tube watts are louder than SS watts" is just that. A MYTH.

No it isn't. Tube amps are perceived as being louder by the human ear because of the harmonics pushed tubes produce. Tubes also have a more useful power range (tube amp clipping v. solid state clipping). While the power consumption and output of solid state and tube amps are the same (100 watts), a tube amp will be heard as louder depending on the type of power tube used.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 6, 2007,
Tube amps are perceived as being louder by the human ear because of the harmonics pushed tubes produce. Tubes also have a more useful power range (tube amp clipping v. solid state clipping). While the power consumption and output of solid state and tube amps are the same (100 watts), a tube amp will be heard as louder depending on the type of power tube used

EXACTLY.. Key word here would be "perceived as being louder".

My original statement stands.. 100 watts is 100 watts is 100 watts. Doesn't matter what the transport is (Tubes/SS). As for "perceived as being louder" by what? 3 dB. I dare say human hearing can only distinguish 2 Db difference minimum and then only slightly. As you correctly pointed out it is the difference between even-order/odd-order harmonics and the way human hearing interprets those.

EDIT:: As for a "more useful power range before clipping".. I'm not sure about that (have to go back to my RCA book) but, again, it's perceived by the harmonic structure.
SS clipping is harsh but the power range is more liner than tube.
Last edited by Rb123 at Nov 6, 2007,
Quote by werty22
If it's louder to the human ear, isn't it louder in a practical sense?

Perhaps but, my point is there is no such thing as "tube watts" .vs. "SS Watts". A watt is a watt is a watt.
You're being pedantic yet ignoring the distinction at the same time? Fascinating.
Hi, I'm Peter
Back on topic, TS why wouldn't you mic you amps if your playing a bigger venue?
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Quote by werty22
If it's louder to the human ear, isn't it louder in a practical sense?

haha yeah louder is louder, louder is a subjective term. a watt is a watt is a watt but tube amps are louder than solid state, think about it practically. hmmm what would you say is "louder" a 100watt Marshall JCM 800 or a 100 watt Marshall MG100DFX? im pretty sure if you are even close to being a guitar player you realize a JCM 800 may be the loudest thing created by man. So the question at hand was does tube or solid state matter, yes. but thanks for clarifying a watt doesnt change.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Last edited by hoondog at Nov 6, 2007,
You're being pedantic yet ignoring the distinction at the same time?

Dirk, perhaps..(but an interesting discussion eh?) :-)

but, back on the Original Topic.. I do agree why couldn't you just mic the amps if you believe them to not be loud enough?
My friend had a 60 watt SS and we played in our schools auditorium (which is huge and it wasn't even on max volume or mic'ed)
Last edited by OpposingForce at Nov 8, 2007,
you will never have a problem. honestly, the only thing you need from an amp is for it to be loud enough to overcome the drums. if you're ever playing anywhere that involves micing the drums (and that'll be the vast vast vast majority of venues), you'll be micing the amps anyway.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
im pretty sure if you are even close to being a guitar player you realize a JCM 800 may be the loudest thing created by man.

Not even close. Marshall 200 watt heads, for example, my 130 watt Peavey MX for another, 120 watt Peavey Butcher... Two guys with 100 watt Marshall stacks have tried to drown the MX out, I was still playing clean leads on top of both when they couldn't turn the knobs any more. It's 130 watts. Never got the volume knob over 7 or so.

Anyway, solid state amps are not as loud as tube amps. No matter what you call the watts, a 30 watt solid state amp will get lost onstage with a 30 watt tube amp every time, I've tried it. Years and years ago, but yeah the tube amp will be louder. As far as the volume level you hear goes, you'll need a 100 watt solid state to match the volume level of a 50 watt tube amp.

Back to the topic though, the amps the thread starter listed should handle anything up to a large stadium, outdoor, whatever. I've seen big name touring bands using 50 watt half stacks at huge stadiums, I've used my 45 watt Super Reverb for outdoor gigs, you could use a 10 watt practice amp for that matter, and mic it into the PA. As long as you have a decent PA you can play anywhere with those rigs. Get some more drum mics for larger halls.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by OThugSd
Tube or SS, MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.

Are they really going to have 520 watts combined of tube?
what's the minimum wattage you would nedd to play in gigs anyway?...like parties or bars
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by tincho729
what's the minimum wattage you would nedd to play in gigs anyway?...like parties or bars

as a really bare minimum 30watts tube/50 watt solid state would be enough for basic gigs (but as i said, basic, your clean channel probably won't be perfect)
It depends on the PA system. I use a 50 watt combo and have never had to push the volume over half at a gig (even in really big venues, since they usually mic the amps). I honestly think you have too much wattage, but that's just my opinion.
Originally posted by Neon Knight
Ramco i worship you and your awesome comment \m/