I have a Epiphone Les Paul and I had a question about chaning strings. I had just bought fretboard polish and I read in the directions that I have to remove all the strings when I apply the polish. Well, how do I do this without releasing the tension completely from my neck? Any suggestions or explanations are greatly appreciated.
i would just restring the guitar completely, unless you JUST got new strings put on it
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
So I should just take the risk? because I read in "taking care of your guitar" lesson and it states that it isn't a good idea to take off all your strings at once. Just curious.
well, it's not supposed to be good for it to do it, but you've got to take em all off once in a while to clean the fretboard, there's not really any way around it without takin the strings off.

i don't really think it's that bad for it, the only time i've had mine mess up on me was when i had my strings off my acoustic for about a month with it layin on it's back and the neck warped a little and i had to adjust the truss rod..... if you're just taking it off to clean it up and then put yor strings back on i think it'd be fine.

edit: is the fretboard rosewood (dark brown) or maple (white)?

if it's rosewood, don't use guitar polish on it.... i found that out the hard way on said acoustic, which is why i had the strings off for so long.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Nov 5, 2007,
Not sure where this dont take all your strings off thing got started. I do it all the time with my guitars. Never have a problem. People take the strings off guitars all the time to put pickups in, replace frets etc.
I am using Gerlitz guitar honey which in the directions it says its made for rosewood and ebony fretboards. I don't think this will rub the dye off though.
oh ok, i didn't know what you were using, i just saw guitar polish, which is normally bad for a rosewood neck. I'm not familiar with that, but if it says it's alright for rosewood it should be fine.

bakc to the point, go ahead and take off the strings, it shouldn't hurt it.
There shouldn't be any dye on your fretboard. Rosewood and ebony are naturally dark woods. I've heard of some guitars having ebonized fretboards (stained to resemble ebony) but I've never heard of a fake rosewood board. If anything, when a different wood is used it's just a different wood (like bubinga or paduak), with its own characteristics of colour and grain. So, no dye will come off your fretboard unless the guitar's one of those cheap toy ones you can buy for 5 bucks.

And taking off all the strings at once won't hurt your guitar in the slightest. That's just a stupid urban myth that must have been invented by some paranoid freak on this or another site. I've been playing 12 years and have always taken off all the strings on all my guitars, and nothing bad has EVER happened. Nor WILL anything bad ever happen, as long as you use common sense and don't leave the guitar in a really dry/humid/hot/cold environment for a LONG time. Even if you take the strings off, eat dinner, go out, get drunk, pass out and finally get around to restringing the next day, te guitar will be fine.

The fretboard conditioner will make your rosewood fretboard look and play better than before. I'm not familiar with that particular brand, but if you just follow the directions everything will be great. Enjoy your cleaner, sleeker and sexier guitar!
Eh, cutting all the strings off the guitar just to polish/clean the fret board wont warp the neck at all. Just dont leave the strings off for too long, since your letting the neck really adjust to the different tension. You gotta do a nice clean but a little quick paced job to the fret board, then begin to re string the guitar.

Good Luck!
However regarding some comments in this thread.
1. There are NO abrasives, or silicones in ANY of the Gerlitz products.
2. They will not damage ANY finish, and are designed especially for use with delicate Nitro Cellulose finishes and untreated wood.
3. The combo of Guitar Honey and 000 grade wire wool is my favourite fingerboard cleaner/fret polishing.

I am the only seller of Gerlitz products in the UK.
www.poshguitars.com

or how to use them at:
http://www.poshguitars.com/poshguitars/In_Use/Entries/2009/6/3_How_I_use_the_Gerlitz_range.html
Quote by POSH Guitars
However regarding some comments in this thread.
1. There are NO abrasives, or silicones in ANY of the Gerlitz products.
2. They will not damage ANY finish, and are designed especially for use with delicate Nitro Cellulose finishes and untreated wood.
3. The combo of Guitar Honey and 000 grade wire wool is my favourite fingerboard cleaner/fret polishing.

I am the only seller of Gerlitz products in the UK.
www.poshguitars.com

or how to use them at:
http://www.poshguitars.com/poshguitars/In_Use/Entries/2009/6/3_How_I_use_the_Gerlitz_range.html

FOR ****S SAKE. it was a 2 year old dead thread i don't think the op would give 2 ****s anymore. and honestly you are ****ing making it seem like you are advertising your product you sell.
i know its alreay been said but i remove ALL STRINGS every string change and have left my guitar stringless for a few hours before with no ill effects at all, i have never did one string at a time even on tremolo or floyd bridges, the like above poster said use common sense and dont leave your guitar in less than ideal conditions.

my friend had a guitar that was stringless for god knows how many years and i strung it up and the neck was still perfect.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
11-27-07, ROFL way to revive a dead thread........
~GEAR~
Dean Vendetta XM
Schecter Damien FR
SD 59/JB
Raven RG100H/RG412
Crate GT-15
Delta Lab Metal Distortion
Boss DS-1
Meastro Overdrive
DOD Tec8
EB STHB 10-52
Dava Picks
I was going to contribute to casual conversation.

But this is a necropost... *walks away sniffling and pulls out a rope*

See what necroposts do to people?!?