I found a half stack Crate thats only 398 dollars new on musicians friend. But I'm just wondering, are they quality amps?

heres the amp... link

BTW my price range is from about 300 dollars to 600 dollars. I want something that I can start gigging with.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Nov 5, 2007,
Crate solid state amps - not good
Crate tube amps - yes, some of them are good

The 398 dollar half stack probably belongs in the first category.
some have really impressed me in the past, theyre ****ing bulletproof too, if you need a workhorse amp
Yeah, kyrreca is right.

But I have a solid state CRATE, and I love it lol.
It's a process, not an event.
Everyone always knocks on them and I can't figure out why. I just got back from my first band practice with my new one and it was perfect. I got a great deal on it too. Crate rules, IMO! I can't say over time w it will perform. I'm sure its no marshall, but I'd get it if I were you.
How long have you been playing guitar? Are you in a band? Do you gig? What's your music style
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
You're better off buying something like the valveking. Any half stacks under $800 are pretty much junk.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
I've played through a lot of Crate amps and I haven't found any I liked. The sound is too muffled and weird. Not a fan of it.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']You're not done being flamed in your other thread yet

My guitar was here first so lay hands off my soul.
it's either the Crate or the Marshall MG250DFX.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
You know you don't need 100 watts or a half stack just a nice simple tube combo schools all of them.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Quote by FMNStratGuy
How long have you been playing guitar? Are you in a band? Do you gig? What's your music style

I've been playing for almost four years. I'm not in a band, but I plan on being in one soon. I play a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers (I prefer playing the old chili Peppers). But I play blues, metal, funk. I play a lot of styles.

I have a Crate something or other. Its outer shell is tough, but the electronics inside went to **** like 5 years ago. It still works great tho, just gotta pound it a couple of times.
i havent had any exerience with that particular amp, but i have played on crate amps before. they dont really sound that good, but are decent for the money.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Quote by Mental Hop
I've played through a lot of Crate amps and I haven't found any I liked. The sound is too muffled and weird. Not a fan of it.

Same here, I hate the tone. It's only high point is the high gain, but that's it. Crappy Crate.........
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Any other amps you guys suggest that would be within my price range and be around 50 watts?

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
it's either the Crate or the Marshall MG250DFX.

DO NOT buy the crate GT or the marshall MG. you'll hate yourself forever. i have the crate, i bought it when it was $500, instead of $398. either way, it sounds terrible.

if you're looking for a good blues crunch tone, all it offers is fizz. it's either super clean, or high gain fizzyness.

god i wish they would just discontinue those amps and put them out of their misery.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I freakin' love Crate amps, and am a diehard Crate fan, BUT, I wouldn't buy any of the new ones. Anything with the new Crate logo is made in China and is a complete peice of crap. I own an old Crate GX-212+ that was made in the US and it's awesome. Great lead channel and super clean cleans. I also have a PowerBlock that is just kind of ok. The distortion sucks and the stereo out is broken, but it's good enough for demo recording and live shows with a pedal infornt of it. Besides, it only cost me $70 and it's 150 watts.
Signatures are overrated.
my crate bass amp is nice

ive been wondering how the new crate tube amps are though
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Any other amps you guys suggest that would be within my price range and be around 50 watts?

Crate V32 Palomino would be god like compared to the 2 amps you mentioned

but..other suggestions would be:

LC15
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laney-LC15-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481329

Crate V50 1x12
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

Crate V18 2x12
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

Fender Blues Junior
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480512

Vox AC15CC
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15CC1-Custom-Classic-1x12-Tube-Amp?sku=482625

Crate V32 2x12 Palomino
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V3212-30w-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=480987

Peavey Classic 30
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

and there are more variations of the crate combos to look at as well.

with that budget, you have a good selection of good tube combos that would put those half stacks in their place easily.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I bought a crate a while ago for 500 wit celestions and it sounds better then the marshall i played at guitar center which was a $900+ half stack. So idk but there pretty badass.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
DO NOT buy the crate GT or the marshall MG. you'll hate yourself forever. i have the crate, i bought it when it was $500, instead of $398. either way, it sounds terrible.

if you're looking for a good blues crunch tone, all it offers is fizz. it's either super clean, or high gain fizzyness.

god i wish they would just discontinue those amps and put them out of their misery.

That's weird, i read some reviews of the Total Guitar magazine they made of the Crate GT series (15, 30 and 65) and all received 4/5. Its highlights were the crystal clean and wide range of tones that you can get from it.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
That's weird, i read some reviews of the Total Guitar magazine they made of the Crate GT series (15, 30 and 65) and all received 4/5. Its highlights were the crystal clean and wide range of tones that you can get from it.

When was the last time you read a poor review of something in a guitar magazine?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
If you must buy a solid state Crate go used. They can be had anyday for $50-150 USD. The older the better.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77

Those ones are some good ideas.
If you can find an old vintage club 50, they're pretty nice.
However, for that price range, I'd look at a Peavey classic 30, a hotrod deluxe and also some Traynor tube amps (don't know these particular models).

They'll give you a much better alternative for the price.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by El Cumanés

i doubt they'd say anything bad about it. in all actuality, it's decent for practicing at low volumes, but the money spent on it can be used on something so much more worthwhile. ask anyone whose had it for a while... they probably hate it too.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by jimbob78
If you can find an old vintage club 50, they're pretty nice.
However, for that price range, I'd look at a Peavey classic 30, a hotrod deluxe and also some Traynor tube amps (don't know these particular models).

They'll give you a much better alternative for the price.

Ah, yes, a used Traynor YCV40 or YCV50 Blue would be just fine.
I was looking played a Crate 50 watt V Series 2x12 amp this weekend and it sounded great, but has ne1 had any experience with the 33 watt version?
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
Quote by UnsignedRecords

Bloody hell, man, thank you for saving this thread.

TS, you should look into a Peavy Classic 30 or 50, a Crate Palomino V33, or perhaps a Carvin Bel Air.
Crates are ok amps. I own an XT120r, made in china of course, I used to own a GT212 back in the 80's, and the two sound nothing alike. The older amp had a way better lead, but the newer one has way better cleans. I just replaced the crap speakers in the one I own now with some Eminence Texas Heat speakers. WAY better tone, it's amazing what a set of speakers and some good efx can do for a mediocre amp. But a good tube combo like the ones mentioned above is still the best way to go. I'm hanging on to my Crate till I save up enough cash for a Krank Rev100, or Engl Invader, not that I really need a half stack, I just want one. Look for a Crate Stealth 50 head, them bad boys are awesome, if you can find one in decent shape, I've seen them go for about 250-350 on ebay.
Crate XT120R w/Eminence Texas Heat speakers
Randall V2 Head(stolen)
Randall 2x 12 1x15 cab(stolen)
LTD EC500 w/Rockfield SWC's(emg sux)(stolen)
Jackson KVX10 King V w/Rockfield Fatass/Mafia P'ups(stolen)
M100FM(ESP/LTD); Rockfield Fatass p'ups
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Bloody hell, man, thank you for saving this thread.

TS, you should look into a Peavy Classic 30 or 50, a Crate Palomino V33, or perhaps a Carvin Bel Air.

Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by _KurtCobain_77

+ millions and millions