Page 1 of 2
Im sitting here doing my World History homework, and reading about all these wars over religion, and how people used religion to explain the unexplainable. Then it got me thinking, Doens't Science explain what we think (or thought) was unexplainable? I mean, sure, we have "proof", but back then they thought they had proof too...

So, Is science a religion? (no poll )
Sciencism or scientism.
Philosophies have been derived, such as transhumanism.

"Next!"
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Science has evidence to back it up. It isn't something you can not believe in.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Oh my Science!

Do I win?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Science only equates to religion in philosophy, when you can't know anything based on inductive thinking.

For the REST of us, science = evidence while religion = faith. Evidence =/= faith.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

...there the opposite of each other.....

religion states things and explains them by saying you must have faith and believe

and science states things and backs them up with hard evidence, and proof

thats like asking are penis's and vagina's the same
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
Well... I guess it could be, I mean, Science involves SOLID CONCRETE proof.

Religion is based on faith.

So that's the main contradiction, you dig?
Quote by captainjackass
Doesn't Science explain what we think (or thought) was unexplainable? I mean, sure, we have "proof", but back then they thought they had proof too...

What science cannot explain, it admits so and uses theories instead of dogma or absolutes, which religion tends to use. These theories can be contradictory and multiple, but as research gets better, more and more disappear from deduction.

Science sets out to explain nature in abstract terms. It doesn't attempt to extract meaning or motivate others with fact to believe in certain ways...only to inquire further into the subject matter.
No. Religion is usually characterized by a set of beliefs about an afterlife or morals. Science has neither.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Oh my Science!

Do I win?

No.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
No.

ScienceDamn!
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
religion is a set of beliefs

science is study of truths

so no. unless you want to contradict yourself
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by SteveHouse
Science only equates to religion in philosophy, when you can't know anything based on inductive thinking.

For the REST of us, science = evidence while religion = faith. Evidence =/= faith.

Popper said that using deductive reasoning (through falsifying the null hypothesis) is true science.

Sure we have to assume that our perceptions are accurate for science to be accurate, but deductive argument is valid logic and therefore puts science at least one step higher than religion in terms of what we "know" philosophically.
i can choose not to believe certain aspects of science. if there is one thing i know about science, it's that it is constantly being proven wrong.
Actually getting some intelligent answers... wow.

There was some time back though a study of a dieing man in Taiwan. They weighed him before he died, and right after he died. They took everything into account and found that he was lighter. Not saying it proves religion, but it is possible there is a soul, or something like it. Maybe a slight chance of not just completely going out of existance when you die
we wouldn't have a lot of science without religion. it must be sad being on one side or the other and thinking they are at odds with each other.

Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish. - JPII

edit: to the guy above me, i don't buy that 21 grams stuff. a soul is noncorporeal. there could be a connection, but i doubt the soul weighs 21 grams.
#DTWD
i believe religion is ruining our world........................
I see science solving answers and curing people

and i see religion giving people hope that ends up being no good

mabye im totally wrong.... mabye im completely right, who knows?????
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
Quote by SteveHouse

This is pretty much the only post in the thread worth reading. The rest (okay, most of them) is just stupid **** spewed out by pseudo-intellectual teenies looking to make themselves seem smarter than they actually are.

edit:
Primusfan is obviously exempt for the fact that he isn't anti-religious/LOLHARDxC0rEATHEIST.
Last edited by Archaon at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by captainjackass

There was some time back though a study of a dieing man in Taiwan. They weighed him before he died, and right after he died. They took everything into account and found that he was lighter. Not saying it proves religion, but it is possible there is a soul, or something like it. Maybe a slight chance of not just completely going out of existance when you die

if there is such thing as a soul, it wouldn't weigh anything, that's exactly the point, its independent of the body
Quote by primusfan
we wouldn't have a lot of science without religion. it must be sad being on one side or the other and think they are at odds with each other.

Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish. - JPII

Wow! whats that from? Im doing an argumentative thesis on that subject about how the two can coexist.
Quote by captainjackass

Last thing you do when you die is empty your bowels...
Quote by captainjackass

i've heard of that before...apparently when everyone dies, they lose a couple of grams of weight just after they die, and scientists can't figure out why this happens or where that lost weight goes.

one's soul escaping, perhaps?
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Quote by Våd Hamster

^sex?
Quote by NokturnalRedEyz

/Reference

Lol.
Quote by Archaon
This is pretty much the only post in the thread worth reading. The rest (okay, most of them) is just stupid **** spewed out by pseudo-intellectual teenies looking to make themselves seem smarter than they actually are.
edit:
Primusfan is obviously exempt for the fact that he isn't anti-religious/LOLHARDxC0rEATHEIST.

Lolz, sorry for asking a question. How dare I think of something other than teh guitar and teh b00bz

Primusfan's answer +1
no. theres no need to elaborate, either.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by NokturnalRedEyz

that's already taken into account, and its a certain number (weight) thats the same for everyone, regardless of age/weight etc
Quote by nebraskan
Quote by metaldud536
Quote by Våd Hamster

^sex?
Quote by NutZz?
that's already taken into account, and its a certain number (weight) thats the same for everyone, regardless of age/weight etc

maybe it's the last breath of air in ones body? Just a guess.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
/Reference

Lol.

no reference, I just know from my old job at a mortuary, I had to clean a lot of ****
Quote by NokturnalRedEyz
no reference, I just know from my old job at a mortuary, I had to clean a lot of ****

What a shitty job.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Wow! whats that from? Im doing an argumentative thesis on that subject about how the two can coexist.

they coexist because any real religious person believes that their faith is true. with that presupposition, science cannot be at odds with it. scientific discovery can only help to clear up misconceptions within religion. when that happens atheists cry "copout they're changing their beliefs" but from a religious standpoint it makes sense. it's not changing it's clarifying what's true to better understand the ultimate truth.
#DTWD
Page 1 of 2