Do you find it hard to find which fret you're playing on say, a vine of life fret design? If so, does playing on one for a while get you used to it?
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Yeahh.
At first, it's tough, like when i tested one out at a guitar center.
But i soon got used to it, after using it for like 30 minutes, lol.
I like fretless boards that have the inlays on the top side of the board, but I don't really have any problems finding frets on my Iommi (which doesn't have inlays past 12, with 24 frets).
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
I prefer just dots or the inlays on a Les Paul.

I've never played a guitar with the crazy inlays.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
I'm just fine on my inlay-less parker. I'm honestly decent at playing with my eyes shut or looking away from the guitar--It just gets a little hard on large position changes. It's something I learned how to do a while ago, partly intentionally, partially not.
it took me about five minutes to get used to my Ibanez....
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
Well, I can't speak from experience, but I would think it's not TOO different...if you know where you are by feel, you're all good...again, not speaking from experience.
My dad has a classical guitar which has no inlays. I could not get used to it at all so i but something on the top of the fretboard to know where I am at while playing. I would never buy a guitar without inlays.
I think most guitars with no inlay or a fancy one that doesn't actually give you a guide to the fretboard have dots on the side of the fretboard so that when you look down at the guitar you can see where you are.
I can navigate pretty good without inlays, but I prefer them to be there, and if they are goiong to be there, they might as well look nice. That said, I find those fancy inlays to be jsut as easy to navigate as guitars with dots or trapezoids.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
but then again how about no design inlays or dots.... like parker mojos?????
I think i would had a hard time with those but then again you always get reference from the little dots on the edge of the neck but i dont usually pay attention to those...
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
i barely look at the fretboard but i suposse it would be a certain difference with a different inlay
I know where I am by the position my arm is in. I just know which fret I'm at. I guess when you get used to your guitar you should know where you are without looking.
If I look at the fretboard at all then my playing goes to ****...

Though for what it's worth, having any kind of inlays messes me up more than not having any. Even if it's just simple dots or something common, any inlay screws me up. 'Special' inlays mess me up more, but anything is offputting.

There are so many nice guitars I want to buy but they've got set or thru-necks with stupid inlays and I'm not a good enough guitar modder to start trying things like changing the fretboard on one of those God damn you ESP!
doesn't matter for me. it's all muscle memory. i'll look down for some solos but other than that, no need.
Inlays are probably the most important part of a guitar for me [assuming it's not a piece of junk.] Honestly, it's not difficult at all to navigate without inlays. You still have the neck-side markers, which are what I look at anyway [why would you use the actual neck? You'd have to turn your guitar sideways...]
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.