Poll: Can music make people violent?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can music make people violent?
Yes
81 24%
No
259 76%
Voters: 340.
Page 1 of 3
I am doing an aural exam this week for my french class. The subject is: Does hard rock and Heavy metal can bring kids to do act of violence. I am against the idea that it does bring violence. So here I throw the debat to know what UG thinks. So UG, does Music make people become violent?

PS: I need to find some arguments about the subject, I looked trough google and I didn't have all the information I would of like to have, if someone knows about a documentary or something that will help me find some information it would be greatly apreciated to tell me. thanks
Dreaming of freedom is easy to do
You have to fight and win but never lose.
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden
No, I think its more of an angry person might be more likely to listen to angry music than angry music makes nice people go crazy.
I havn't killed anyone yet.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
No. It is an outlet for anger.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
For the most part, no.

However, I said yes. Black metal, death metal, etc. is often associated with burning churches and digging up bodies and the like, and I think it could definitely drive someone to such behavior. It already has many times.

EDIT: Argument. Hasn't anyone seen Metalocalypse?

So many Dethklok fans commit acts of violence for Dethklok. Thousands of fans killed themselves as a birthday present to Murderface.

Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by kriscornella2@g
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden

siged
No, violent music lets people express their emotions instead of going out and actually killing people or something.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Violence is associated with heavy metal because the lyrical content. When in reality, most people listen to metal to relax and vent their frustrations, not focus on them.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
no such thing as evil/violent music. only evil/violent people. so no heavy metal doesnt bring anything except kick-ass music. its only music people.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
i agree
when i listen to metal, im actyually more peaceful, i let my anger out through the music , instead of physical violence.

fall out boy, ill kill someone.
yea ppl just stereotype us so that they can try to scare us into change which just makes me more mad or less likely to talk to them
Quote by kriscornella2@g

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

FREE WARPED TOUR TICKETS!!!
zune. i <3 my turd brown 30 gig.
No. It is all based on the type of person listening to the music. If they're a violent person to begin with then yeah. Metal is associated with violence because of the lyrics and attitude but I listen to metal and I am not a violent person at all.
yea i saw them at warped in STL ....IT WAS AMAZING..they opened with Welcome home, best song ever
Quote by kriscornella2@g

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

I wander what music Hitler listened to? Just use him as your main argument. Hitler didnt listen to Heavy metal, and he still attempted genocide.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Music does have an effect on your emotions, that's something you can't argue. However, it has slightly different effects on different people. Heavy metal music does have a strong tie to anger. If the music causes the anger, or they listen to the music because they're angry... idk, probably varies from person to person. You cant deny that mosh pits aren't violent tho.
he prolly listened to polka lol
Quote by kriscornella2@g

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

lololololololol do you guys remember the 80s when people thought AC/DC were satanic and caused violence? I seriously thought the world was over heavy metal and violence.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Sonicxlover
For the most part, no.

However, I said yes. Black metal, death metal, etc. is often associated with burning churches and digging up bodies and the like, and I think it could definitely drive someone to such behavior. It already has many times.

EDIT: Argument. Hasn't anyone seen Metalocalypse?

So many Dethklok fans commit acts of violence for Dethklok. Thousands of fans killed themselves as a birthday present to Murderface.

Well most of the people that were burning churches and murdering in the 90s were members of black metal bands, not fans.
To a certain extent. I voted "Yes" because it can bring someone to violence, if they're stupid enough. It all depends on the person.

It doesn't bring me to violence at all. All I listen to is nothing but death/black metal, and I'm not violent at all. In fact, nobody at my school really knows that I'm into hardcore metal.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
People who blame it on music are just plain stupid.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

well most of my metal head friends are teh most calm, intellectual peole i have ever met, so idk....depends on the person
Quote by kriscornella2@g

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

same , they opened with welcome home i was lIKE OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PINCH HARMONICS OUT MY ASS!
im gonna go play that song , thanks coheed.
It CAN make people violent if they are stupid. But 95% can control it, some idiot marilyn manson fans call themselves 'Tr00 MeTaL 2 teH CoRexZ' and go around shooting people which gives metal a bad name.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
Depends on the person, I believe. I seriously doubt music alone is enough to drive a person to insanity. However, if a person is at some level of mental instability to began with, I believe violence can arise due to any music.

People who really connect to music are just allowing it to manipulate and exaggerate their emotions, and that's really shown by the media when it comes to the "less reputable" genres of music. We constantly see stories of people shooting up a school, and the the focus tends to fall on the fact that the killer listened to Manson.

But are these killers even sane before they're even exposed to this music? Probably not. Looking over the rather long list of school shootings on Wikipedia, for example, you'll likely notice that most killers have some sort of history of depression or mental illness. The chances of a person wanting to kill based on unrealistic lyrics such as, "grabbing the nearest head and fucking the eye sockets" are... well, slim, I'd say.

Simply, it's all based on the listener. As many people have already done, I can say I'm not violent or depressed at all, and I listen to nothing but metal. Hell, I even meditate to metal sometimes, and it does nothing but calm me down. It's really an outlet, more than anything else.

+++ I voted yes on the poll because as I said, I think music can cause violence... just not in a "Deicide? I think I'll worship Satan and make soup with baby blood!" sort of sense...
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Last edited by Pan-Tallica at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by piginacanoe212
LONG LIVE COHEED! i saw them live last weekend at VOODOO FEST!

WOOT!
THEIR NEW ALBUM IS THE ****!

+ a googleplex (go ahead, google a googleplex)

also my guitar teacher had an interesting theory on this, stating that lyrics have apsolutly no effect on the listener, rather, the actual notes/ chords do

certain darker chords can affect your mood towards negative, while light and springly things (such as 9th) can bring u up

im sure im not giving his theory the justice it deserves it makes much more sense when he explains it
nt1440 I would love to hear your teacher talk about it, if you could ask him again what he thinks on the subject it may refresh your memory and you would be able to write it here.
Dreaming of freedom is easy to do
You have to fight and win but never lose.
^ (@nt1440) That makes total sense. A lot of metal lyrics aren't easily understandable, anyways. It makes sense that people who listen to metal, arguably one of the most technical genres of music, would focus on instrumental aspects of a song over vocal aspects.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
violence in people has nothing to do with music and everything to do with upbringing. honestly, not that many metal bands have violent lyrics.
Quote by Eminored
I'd start a World War too if I listened to enough polka.

Polka... music that turns people into diabolical brain smashers!! KILL KILL DIE DIE!!!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
No, this question has been asked many times, and although there's no way to prove you're right or wrong, I personally think metal doesn't make you any more violent. If you're a violent person, you'll end up doing something violent, whether you listen to Cannibal Corpse or Radiohead or My Chemical Romance. Whenever someone who commits an act of violence listens to heavy metal, people usually just use it as a place to lay the blame. I listen to heavy metal, mainly the extremes of it, and I'm one of the nicest, most nonviolent people you'll meet.

Although, on the other hand, I've never heard of a Radiohead fan shooting up a school...
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
not at all, metal music is always being used as a scape goat because of its different sound and image. Personally, I think the society is whats to be blamed.
bcuz itz metel to vialantli kil ppl aftar lissenang 2 hevy metels
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I think it can, I remember playing Rage in my maths class once and the class started getting really restless and violent. It was slightly frightening.
Page 1 of 3