My guitar teach gave me a vague idea... (Wood glue, tooth pick. etc.)
But I don't actually know how to go about doing this.

For interest the screw im fixing is this one.

Not the one wear the things attach to it, but the one where you attach the metal bit to the guitar itself.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
umm i took a rubber mallet and pounded a bit of wood into the hole, then redid the screw, but that was on one of the strap holders.
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
Here's my method.
1) I try to fill a bit of the hole with glue straight from the bottle.
2) I take a toothpick/matchstick and push glue all the way to the bottom of the hole.
3) Use the toothpick to fill the rest of the hole with glue.
4) Cram as many toothpicks as possible into the hole.
5) Clean up the excess glue with a damp cloth, and trim the excess wood.
6) Wait a day or two for it to dry.
7) Clean any remaining glue, and trim any remaining wood.
8) Drill a pilot hole.
9) Drill the real hole.
10) Do whatever else needs to be done. This should be straight forward.

The proper method is to drill the hole bigger, put some wood glue into the hole, fill the hole with a dowel, then drill the new hole.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I just use builders bog
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Driklling? sounds dangerous, when you say drill you just mean like, by hand screwdriver right?

And what would am i trimming?
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
I've only had to repair one hole in my guitar, when I ripped the top strap button out of my telecaster. I found a kebab skewer that was the right diameter and was planning on gluing it in place, but it got stuck in the hole anyway so I just snapped it off and put the screw back, didn't even re-drill just let the self tapper do it's work. I took those buttons off and installed straplocks the other day too, everything still holds up fine.

Just glue something extra into the hole, like a match, toothpick dowel etc and treat it like you would the original wood.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Depending on the size of the screw, a match or toothpick should work. I do it this way:

Get the screw out, of course...
Put a toothpick or match into the hole and mark where it needs to be cut off. It can be cut with standard wire cutters, it's not hard.
Dip the end of toothpick or match in wood glue.
Poke it into the hole, put in screw. Don't touch it till the next day so the glue can dry.

And yes, the "proper way" would be drill it larger and fill with hardwood dowel, but that's usually not necessary unless it's really stripped out and wallowed the hole way big. I very rarely use that method, most of the time a toothpick will do fine.

You can also get hardwood dowels at Lowes or Home Depot that will work great, diameters down to 1/8" and I think maybe smaller are available. I keep 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8 handy most of the time.

EDIT: If you do decide to drill it, wrap a bit of masking tape around the drill bit to mark your depth so you don't drill all the way through the guitar. That sucks and is way easier to do than you might think. I usually go for about 1/8" shallower than the screw depth and undersize, so the screw can fit tight.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Nov 7, 2007,
K thanks for the help everyone but one last question.
Wood glue or any kind of liquid glue? Like that elmers stuff you use in grade school?
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
defintily use wood glue... the elmers will not work cause its water soluable... so it has weaker bonding... the wood glue is an oil base most of the time... is a better bond.. so go with any kind of wood glue at like home depot or lowes or your local hardware store.
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Quote by Nocomment
K thanks for the help everyone but one last question.
Wood glue or any kind of liquid glue? Like that elmers stuff you use in grade school?

Look for the words "aliphatic resin" on the bottle of glue. If it says that, you are good to go.

Chris
PVC works fine for all my work. Dad also used it when he was a builder and it always worked perfectly. That said, the holes i have been filling are smaller. If they are larger screws, just regular wood glue will be fine.
www.myspace.com/funkmecrazy
Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Bonham's number one fan

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp