well, I've learned a couple of scales, and I'm kinda confused, how do I use these in making excellent solos? I'm not a very good self teacher and all, also when I play the scales they dont sound as nice as the videos, Does it take a longer time to make licks with the scales then I thought? (a couple of weeks).

Do I need to just practice for months on these before I can start making it sound bluesy and all?

also, when I pick, I tend to rest my hand on the tremelo, and it messes me up and makes me slow,
Last edited by Deadmen at Nov 5, 2007,
Move it around the fretboard (not from like fret 2 to 16 or something tho ha), use bends, vibrato, hammer ons/pull offs, etc...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
basically all you need to know is the standard five shapes/patterns of the scale, imagine it on your guitar and then when you play try to stay within the notes marked by the shape, improvise in any way you want, skip a few notes, maybe a string or two, do a few hammer ons and pull offs, maybe a bend or a vibrato here and there and then you're good to go

this website has about every chord and scale imaginable for a beginner (except natural minor) that you can use for FREE www.looknohands.com
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
actually, that URL only leads to the cover page, the actual website's URL from which you can go to all the other pages is http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse

the easy guitar room gives you chords, the advanced one gives you scales
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
thanks dude, I looked at the minor pentaonic and if confused me really bad though, it didn't look like the tab for it.
Last edited by Deadmen at Nov 5, 2007,
How much have you tried playing over backing tracks or with other people? Playing sclaes on their own almost never sounds like music, you need a backing of some sort to give it context; look on www.guitarbt.com under jam tracks, go for some of the blues ones, that should give you a good starting point.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The scale itself is just to teach the mechanics of where your fingers go so that you don't need to think about it while playing. I think the problem is that making music out of a scale is not a technical process, it's a creative one. So there isn't really this "it will take 2 weeks, or take 6 months" concept behind it, nor is it really something that can be taught per se. If you don't have any musical background it may take you longer to start getting it and it's something that just needs to be worked on.

I think the best thing to do is just listen to blues music and solo's and try to replicate what they do, and experiment. Get some backing music and try and really get into the music rather then just working through the mechanics of it.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Quote by krims0n
The scale itself is just to teach the mechanics of where your fingers go so that you don't need to think about it while playing. I think the problem is that making music out of a scale is not a technical process, it's a creative one. So there isn't really this "it will take 2 weeks, or take 6 months" concept behind it, nor is it really something that can be taught per se. If you don't have any musical background it may take you longer to start getting it and it's something that just needs to be worked on.

+1

Amen!

Chris
if you want it to sound blusey then you need to learn the blues scale, not the pentatonic (although the blues scale is just the pentatonic with 2 extra notes)

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Quote by Giant Tool
if you want it to sound blusey then you need to learn the blues scale, not the pentatonic (although the blues scale is just the pentatonic with 2 extra notes)

Actually the generally accepted blues scale has one extra note (flat 5) but it's more than possible to sound bluesy using any scale; 'bluesy' is a way a phrasing, not note selection.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.