I actually have no knowledge of anyone writing about this, I'm just assuming someone has- Who has talked about people as individuals creating their own "meaning of life", and in what books? And what would this kind of philosophy be called?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Nope, don't think it's a patented theory.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I think that goes in the lines of 'perception is reality' which I studied in EnglishIII my junior year in hs while reading Heart of Darkness, but I'm not sure if it was just something our teacher came up with or an actual philosophy
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Quote by primusfan
existentialism.

might read sartre or kierkegaard.

I know about existentialism, my ideas are related but different.

I'll elaborate: I've been considering the idea that there is no one meaning in life, but that individuals each have their own meaning of life that they may or may not find/realize in their lifetime.

I haven't gone anywhere with this yet, it's just the result of some thoughts I had. I figured somebody in history must have beaten me to this and I should read their work first.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
objectivism. read ayn rand. that is, if their meanning i decided by their own freewill
hello
Lol, Satanism - Anton LaVey? Maybe. Perhaps a stretch and not exactly a philosophy, but satanism is generally about making meaning out of your own life.
I've found Jesus
might be pragmatism too, america's only original school of philosophy

look into william james
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Quote by Schneiderman
I'll elaborate: I've been considering the idea that there is no one meaning in life, but that individuals each have their own meaning of life that they may or may not find/realize in their lifetime.

existentialism - n. A philosophical movement embracing the view that the suffering individual must create meaning in an unknowable, chaotic, and seemingly empty universe.

unless you are saying each individual has a predetermined unique meaning of life that they may or may not reallize, as opposed to creating their own meaning.
#DTWD
Quote by Contraband
Lol, Satanism - Anton LaVey? Maybe. Perhaps a stretch and not exactly a philosophy, but satanism is generally about making meaning out of your own life.

satanism=objectivism with cheesy theatrics
hello
Sounds a bit like solipsism to me. Not really related to a search for a meaning but more concerned with the individual believing themselves to be the centre of the universe.
Kinda like Axl Rose
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
Definitely sounds like exestenialism. The rejection of the idea that we come into this world with a meaning attached, we have to find our own and embrace life (existence - existentialism, ya see) through it. Very much like exestentialism, and I'll go with Jean-Paul Sartre as i believe i've seen him specifically talk about this.

EDIT: But wait, if you're saying that they DO have a pre-determined meaning, as you seem to indicate in later posts then it is not Exestentialism.

Honestly, this seems like a fairly retarded way of looking at philosophy, I can't really help you.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Nov 6, 2007,
Nigga, there's too many isms:

Existentialism
Nihilism
Existential Atheism

What you're thinking about now is most similar to existentialism, as has already been mentioned.
My God, it's full of stars!
Jism.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Sartre was an idiot.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
yeah, because only idiots get awarded nobel prizes.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by greety
Sartre was an idiot.

+1

He was a hypocrit. You have to practise what you preach and he didn't.

I'd say check out Albert Camus. He never thought of himself as a philosopher, and rejected the label of existentialist, he thought of himself more as a philosphical writer, the likes of Goethe or Dosteovsky.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by greety
Sartre was an idiot.

Yeah, sure he was an idiot. No, he was a smart man. Wether you think he was wrong or not, he was an intelligent man.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
You're talking about Objectivism. Read Atlas Shrugged.

And Satanism is not "Objectivism with cheesy theatrics." Satanism puts faith in mystical, unprovable powers greater than yourself, which breaks one of the main laws of Objectivist Epistemology. People need to stop making that comparison.
look into Transcendentalism- the books might be boring, but just the philosophy it's self.

PUAism- can definitely change your views on life (pick up artist ism)

Hinduism techniques are pretty cool (yoga, vedanta, meditation)

Create your own walk of life
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by SkyValley
You're talking about Objectivism. Read Atlas Shrugged.

And Satanism is not "Objectivism with cheesy theatrics." Satanism puts faith in mystical, unprovable powers greater than yourself, which breaks one of the main laws of Objectivist Epistemology. People need to stop making that comparison.

no he's not. objectivism is too prescriptive to be what he means.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.