I've got an HSS strat that I got for dirt cheap and was wondering if it was even worth putting money into.

The guitar itself is great, it's very easy to play, and even though I'm a beginner it's been fairly simple to learn on and comfortable to play. My only issue is the pickups.

They're nice pickups, but only for a 100 dollar guitar. Would it be worth it to drop 50 bucks into a new set of pickups (nothing really good of course) or should I just save up my money for a better guitar in a year or so?
It's always worth it to mod your guitar into something you prefer more. They look to be 3-piece Alder bodies... same as MIM Strats. Not saying the same QC is there, but with some modding I'm sure it would be a very nice guitar.
http://www.rondomusic.com/product795.html

That's the guitar btw, just different colors. How are the pickguard assemblies from guitar fetish? Would this be an upgrade at all, or should I find two separate singles I like and one humbucker?

And I'm not worried about doing the actual work, I have plenty of experience with soldering and schematics.
Well the thing is if you want to upgrade it to be a truly better guitar you'd also have to get a new neck (sxs generally have pretty bad fret jobs) and new tuners (that hold tone better). May have to replace the bridge or at least the saddles if they are breaking too many strings. Really, the only thing worth keeping is the body (it's made of alder, though crap, but so are MIM fenders) and the pickguard (unless you want to replace that).

Work out how much that costs and then decide if you want to go that route or get a MIA fender or something (going this route will probably get you a better guitar than an MIM but a bit lesser than an MIA).

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Personally, I wouldn't buy one of their low-end pre-wired. They aren't bad, but not a real significant upgrade. I would buy a bucker and a set of their strat pups.
Quote by xifr
Well the thing is if you want to upgrade it to be a truly better guitar you'd also have to get a new neck (sxs generally have pretty bad fret jobs) and new tuners (that hold tone better). May have to replace the bridge or at least the saddles if they are breaking too many strings. Really, the only thing worth keeping is the body (it's made of alder, though crap, but so are MIM fenders) and the pickguard (unless you want to replace that).

Work out how much that costs and then decide if you want to go that route or get a MIA fender or something (going this route will probably get you a better guitar than an MIM but a bit lesser than an MIA).

I'm not too worried about getting an amazing guitar, like I said, this is my first and I'm still very much a beginner. Half of my interest is just getting the best sound out of my cheap little guitar for the least amount of money and the other half is a desire to learn to work on them. The tuners aren't terrible, but I know I'll want to replace them eventually, same with the bridge. For now I just want to add a little sound and give myself a learning experience.

I suppose I'll look into two singles and a nice sounding humbucker. I'm looking to spend under 100 dollars for this, so guitar fetish seems to be the best option, unless there are some good alternatives. Cost isn't an issue, I just want to keep myself to a budget and not enter the realm of just buying a better guitar instead.
Well then focus on your playing. I can guarantee that you'll get a far better result by improving your playing than improving your gear.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Well then focus on your playing. I can guarantee that you'll get a far better result by improving your playing than improving your gear.

No question about that, practice is my number 1 priority here, I just like tinkering with things