My band has been steadily writing songs since we started last year and we finally think we're getting to the point where we could do some small shows. But before we do, we want to learn some covers. The only problem is that our line up is a little bit strange. We have a lead violin in place of a lead guitar. Now, what are some covers that we could do where the guitar parts wouldn't sound bad when adapted to violin.

(Our style is a large mix of styles mainly coming together around The White Stripes, Oasis and a little bit of modern folk, but we wouldn't be against classic rock covers. And be creative!)
The Devil Went Down to Georgia
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
You could do some Flogging Molly stuff. They have some awesome fiddle work.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Personally, I think it would be awesome to hear Sweet Child 'o Mine played on violin. But that's just me.

Slash's lead style does seem like it could be adapted pretty easily, though.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by Missingno476
Personally, I think it would be awesome to hear Sweet Child 'o Mine played on violin. But that's just me.

Slash's lead style does seem like it could be adapted pretty easily, though.

Actually, I was thinking of doing that one. It's normally a pretty cliche song, but with a Violin, I think it would be really cool.
Be creative - if the song doesn't seem like it would work with violin, try to be creative and figure out a way for it to work. Sometimes the covers that stem from the most unlikely seeming combinations are the ones that end up being the most memorable when done right.

That said, maybe you should go for a Dave Matthews Band song - So Much To Say, perhaps?
White Bird by It's a Beautiful Day. Has some violin lead. Plus me and my bass player worship that song.
A band of my very own:

Pyknic
Quote by FeiRei
You could do some Flogging Molly stuff. They have some awesome fiddle work.

This kid's a genius, listen to him.

Pick up a banjo player and an accordion, and bust out some Black Friday Rule. With extended guitar/violin dueling solos. It'll bring the house down.

I wish our band had a violin player. Or a decent drummer and bassist.
Quote by RickGardiner
The Devil Went Down to Georgia

+1 especially if you do the primus version.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Dazed and Confused, Led Zeppelin. Page used a violin bow on his guitar in the song, and as long as you, I dunno, write a new solo for it, it would be awesome (the solo might be too fast for a violin to handle).

Sunday Bloody Sunday, U2. Good bit of electric violin in the studio version.

Also, I'd imagine most slide guitar songs would work.....
Last edited by Wulver at Nov 9, 2007,
Haha, you've gotta at least try Back in Black. The mental sound and picture of it that I'm getting is amazing. (Plus it's one of those songs most everyone knows and what nots.)
Daaaamn I wish my band had a violin player.

That'd be damn cool.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!