I need a Gibson SG for cheap (I've tried the Epiphones... ew...) . I know there are a whole bunch (like 6 different ones for under 1000 usd), but can't decide. I mostly play heavier rock/metal, but I'll probably switch out the p-ups on whatever one I get so that doesn't make a huge difference.

Faded SG

3 Pickup SG

P-90 SG

Yeah, so those are the ones I was looking at... any input? Like which I should get.

EDIT: I could go more expensive (like up to this ), but then I wouldn't be able to get new pickups or anything.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Last edited by OThugSd at Nov 6, 2007,
Get the SG Special and keep the pickups, you'll be perfectly happy for a very long time.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Gibson SG Faded Specials aren't worth it, IMO.

If you're set on Gibson, go Standard, or nothing.

Otherwise, Epiphone Elitists are really kickin' Gibson's ass right now.
Also, I don't think the G-400 is a bad guitar at all. My G-400, with some mods and a pickup change, kicks most Gibson SG Faded Specials' asses. Seriously.

Also, I wouldn't get the 3 pickup model. More string pull = less sustain...and the middle pickup isn't that useful.
I'd get a used Gibson SG standard.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

hmm im suprised you dont like the Epi G-400, with a pickup swap and reworked wiring it is a gibson SG standard, but out of those i like the faded, ive honestly never played a bad one, but our shop sets them up better than say guitar center i suppose, but the special is also an amazing guitar as well, the p90s give it a more organic tone and its pretty cool, id try them both out and see what you prefer
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
A G-400 with new pick-ups is pretty nice. The neck joint is different though, slightly better access but more neck heavy. I'd suggest playing a bunch of G-400s before you buy a Gibson. If you get a Gibson, the Faded is the one of your choices most suited to harder stuff, mind you Gibson Specials and Epiphones both require playing a bunch and picking a winner.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by staticoverdub
um... if you're getting new pups, the only difference between those is the # of pups they're routed for.

and imo, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Classic-Electric-Guitar-with-P90-Pickups?sku=517127

OMG that's like £400 in the UK...

I don't think you can even get them here now...

and if we could it'd be like £650 - £750 ($1300 - $1500)

You Americans don't know how lucky you are. Be grateful for it!!!

Oh, by the way, the SG Classic is a great guitar
if you wanna play metal you should go for a ESP LTD Viper400...... it has EMG pups (yay!) and mahogany body (YAY!!!!) and its......its.....it.....eeehhh.....ITS A ESP (****ING YAY!!!!!)

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Quote by TheBloodstained
if you wanna play metal you should go for a ESP LTD Viper400...... it has EMG pups (yay!) and mahogany body (YAY!!!!) and its......its.....it.....eeehhh.....ITS A ESP (****ING YAY!!!!!)

agreed. EMGs... its cheap. it looks kinda like a SG.. it sounds great ESPecially for metal. haha u see what I did there. yeah. ESP vipers owns epiphone SGs

its a sexy ****ing beast!!!!!!

if i still had been playing in my punk band I might would have considered buying one for myself

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
i'd say avoid the cheaper gibsons. High end epiphone > Low end gibson. the quality control on these lower end gibsons is known to be bad, and the ones i played at music live just didn't compare to the likes of the Epi G-400 to be honest. they felt cheap and shoddy, but cost £700...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
dude im ****ing loving that sex machine u call an ltd viper lol! i was gonna get myself one but i realized i had absolutely no money lol so now im trying to get a g400 lol

sweet guitar though dude! look very metal and sexy
I actually really liked the Faded SG. Maybe I got really lucky and found a good one or maybe it's the fact that I use it for slide, but I'm happy with it.
i wanted to have the esp ltd viper400 too ,but i hadn't got that much money.so i bought the epiphone sg400 and i have to say it sounds amazing!
the shop assistent told me to buy an epiphone sg400 instead of a cheap gibson.