hey next year spring im gonna be moving into my colleges campus, woo hoo finally don't have to commute anymore. Right now i have an amazing custom fretless jazz bass, but i don't want to risk it getting stolen or losing it up in college. so i want to buy a rather cheap bass for practicing up in college. What im looking for is a good funk bass with a thin neck. Also it would be nice if it were easy to upgrade. i don't really want to spend more than 300 if thats possible.

thanks
A Squier P-Bass would do the trick, I'm thinking. Cheap, and not too bad quality for it's price. Fairly standard for upgrades I think too.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Since you have a nice bass already, I'm assuming you have an amp available, so you can spend the full 300 on a bass.

If that's the case, go for a Squier Vintage Modified J-Bass. Probably the best bass in that price range. It plays, and feels, like a Fender MIM and is very easy to upgrade. You can turn the thing into a bass three times it's worth if you put the effort in.
I had thousands of dollars of equipment pass through my residence room on campus and nobody ever bothered it. Nobody's going to take your stuff, and if you're really antsy, lock your door!

Anyway, if you get the fretless Squier, you can make sure your fretless chops stay strong.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I had thousands of dollars of equipment pass through my residence room on campus and nobody ever bothered it. Nobody's going to take your stuff, and if you're really antsy, lock your door!

Anyway, if you get the fretless Squier, you can make sure your fretless chops stay strong.

same here, granted most of it was PA equipment that only a power lifter could have stolen lol.
I'd go for the squier too, though it might be cheaper to get a standard one from a pawn and the neck from eBay....there were tons of them there last time I checked. Of course eBay is kind of a gamble..
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by thefitz

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Residency? You made an infomercial for the values of commuting!
squier vintage modified jazz
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Residency? You made an infomercial for the values of commuting!

Yeah, I was there and was safe, but that didn't mean I liked it. Let's just say that was the start of the Fitz you know and love/hate today.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..