they discontinued the RGT220a Prestige, my favorite ibanez ever and my next purchase. It's just not fair I wanted one sooo bad, I'm not confident in eBay either.
^ive never found one decent functional RGT on it. its always some crappy ripoff or just a 1570 or something, and whenever i check its never different.
It's not the end of the world, I probably have two or three guitars that are discontinued that I bought without knowing the fact that they were discontinued...and I didn't have to go on ebay either...
Look in shops man.. they might still have them in stock. Same with online stores.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by which ones pink
^That's true, stores usually closeout a discontinued item, so if you're lucky you could get it for cheap.

Exactly. In fact, I would be jumping for joy.
It's not like retailers have to scrap their entire stock of a particular model if the manufacturer decides to stop making it.

Edit: Also, where did you read they stopped making it? It's still on the website.
Yeah man, just because they discontinued the model doesn't mean that you still can't find one. I've seen discontinued models of different gear at Guitar Center, as well as like musiciansfriend and music123
Sucks for you. I was about to buy the discontinued LTD H400 from Thomann, they had like 2 or 3 left for €500 instead of the listed €750. But then, they disappeared from the site.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Yeah when was it discontinued, where did you hear that. From what i can see it hasnt been.
Manchester United
Quote by Shabalaba
Yeah when was it discontinued, where did you hear that. From what i can see it hasnt been.

This one, the mahogany version, has been discontinued.

The ash version is still available though and these aren't exactly limited edition guitars, so finding one second hand shouldn't be much of a problem.

Also, chances are that many stores still have some of these in stock.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
That mahogany one must of been discontinued for ages.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind

I'm still finding it new in shops.

For instance, I believe the Guitar Asylum, Long Island, NY is among the many stores that still have these in stock.
Quote by Absent Mind

yeah, that ones gone for a while, but the ash version says discontinued in almost every online store.

EDIT: oh **** i think i may have misunderstood places like music123 and zzounds, maybe they just dont carry them anymore. god i hope so.
Last edited by MiasmA at Nov 6, 2007,
just go to used gear on guitar center, its awsome they have everything like on ebay but u can count on it, and its usually cheap, and y dont u trust ebay it rocks
Quote by pbuddyj
just go to used gear on guitar center, its awsome they have everything like on ebay but u can count on it, and its usually cheap, and y dont u trust ebay it rocks

like i said, i dont trust it with guitars. I'll refuse to buy any guitar with evena scratch in it most of the time if its used, but anything except guitars its the best site on earth .
the fact they they've discontinued a bunch of cool models and the fact quality control is down the hole makes me shy away from Ibanez now.

If i WAS gunna stick with Ibanez, the RGT220 would have been the guitar for me to get. Especially the burnt finish one.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
the fact they they've discontinued a bunch of cool models and the fact quality control is down the hole makes me shy away from Ibanez now.

If i WAS gunna stick with Ibanez, the RGT220 would have been the guitar for me to get. Especially the burnt finish one.

well no other company has better craftsmanship, tone, neck feel, or anything of that sort. Not to mention my 2570 is the reincarnation of christ. so The step up is the only option. Unless you know of any other decent company?
Quote by MiasmA
well no other company has better craftsmanship, tone, neck feel, or anything of that sort. Not to mention my 2570 is the reincarnation of christ. so The step up is the only option. Unless you know of any other decent company?

The problem is that unless you go custom, or order from small companies like Vigier and Suhr, you're always going to encouter the same problem: issues with quality control, overpriced and not enough originality or new developments.

Off all major companies, I find Ibanez to be among the nicer ones. Usually their quality control is quite good and, granted, there hasn't been much fundamental change in their line up for a while, but then again, most big companies tend to be on the safe side when it comes to new ideas.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The problem is that unless you go custom, or order from small companies like Vigier and Suhr, you're always going to encouter the same problem: issues with quality control, overpriced and not enough originality or new developments.

Off all major companies, I find Ibanez to be among the nicer ones. Usually their quality control is quite good and, granted, there hasn't been much fundamental change in their line up for a while, but then again, most big companies tend to be on the safe side when it comes to new ideas.

I'm thinking of going custom because im at that point, even if I'm only 16, where I am good enough to basically do this for a living, and want exactly what i want in a guitar for myself. So if anyones got good recommendations for other "ibanez" like brands, tell me.
Last edited by MiasmA at Nov 6, 2007,
Quote by MiasmA
I'm thinking of going custom because im at that point, even if I'm only 16, where I am good enough to basically do this for a living, and want exactly what i want in a guitar for myself. So if anyones got good recommendations for other "ibanez" like brands, tell me.

Well, personally I have a Vigier on order and I've heard some really good things about Suhr, but these guitars don't come cheap.

I guess you could look at Carvin, although their necks look pretty big, as opposed to the thing Ibanez profile.

You also have brands like GMV, Ran, KxK, Ormsby and Blackmachine which may be worth a look and companies like Jackson and ESP have a custom shop, too.

If you want a really high end Ibanez (close to custom shop quality) get a J. Custom; although they might be hard to find depending on where you live.

Also, check if there is a luthier in your area.

Keep in mind though, that while all the above make incredible instruments, they will cost you a lot more than an Ibanez RGT.
I've tried lots of guitars (and own a bunch ), so far I've found that Alembic
guitars are jaw-dropping, cut-above-the-rest, amazing, best of the best guitars.
Until youve actually played one, you don't know how good a (solid body) guitar
can get.

There's lots of great guitars but Alembics created a whole nother top category for me.

Expect to pay a lot for one though....
Quote by edg
guitars are jaw-dropping, cut-above-the-rest, amazing, best of the best guitars.
can get.

There's lots of great guitars but Alembics created a whole nother top category for me.

ho...ly... **** man. you got some of the nicest gear ive seen anyone have on UG. but i think alembics look amazing.

also, is the RGT wizard on your 320 just as thin as bolt on wizard 1's?
Quote by MiasmA

Shessh buddy, sorry for having an opinion on a company that I myself happen to use (i own an RG too). Prestige is the only thing Ibanez makes that has overall good quality and feel. Try the other, non-prestige models. It's a crapshoot in the quality department. Sometimes you have good ones, other times they're just plain horrible. It's all luck with the non-prestige models.

And decent companies? Where to begin: ESP, Caparison, Jackson, Schecter, Gibson, Fender, Ernie Ball/Music Man, Paul Reed Smith...There are probably tons more, but I haven't played them yet.
Quote by edg
can get.

Damn man, you got some nice stuff.

I noticed you had a THD (Flexi?) head and a Parker Mojo...how are those? I know Kurt Ballou from Converge uses the Flexi head (not that i listen to converge too often, but their guitar tones have some nice crunchiness to them), how does it sound? Is it pretty flexible as far as sounds go, it being one channel?

And how is the Mojo? A shop near me has an older mahogony Mojo in stock, used in pretty good condition, and i was thinking of having a go at it.
It's the Bivalve -- 30 watts. I think it's an awesome amp. You can put whatever
tubes you want in it which is a super plus. But I like it fine with the original tubes.
Very responsive amp. Very basic amp goodness.

The Mojo Fly ... eh. Not one of my favorites. Not a bad guitar. I suggest you try
one and test it with lots of pulloffs on the high E string. If you find you're pulling
the string right over the edge a lot -- better get used to it. I always have to be
extra careful with that one....
Quote by MiasmA
im at that point, even if I'm only 16, where I am good enough to basically do this for a living
I wouldn't count on that if I were you.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by edg
It's the Bivalve -- 30 watts. I think it's an awesome amp. You can put whatever
tubes you want in it which is a super plus. But I like it fine with the original tubes.
Very responsive amp. Very basic amp goodness.

The Mojo Fly ... eh. Not one of my favorites. Not a bad guitar. I suggest you try
one and test it with lots of pulloffs on the high E string. If you find you're pulling
the string right over the edge a lot -- better get used to it. I always have to be
extra careful with that one....

Nice. And the thing with the fly: are the fret ends cut short or at an angle? it seems weird.
Quote by MiasmA
I'm thinking of going custom because im at that point, even if I'm only 16, where I am good enough to basically do this for a living.

Hell, a person playing for 2 months could be good enough to play guitar for a living if all they had to do was play a few power chords.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Nice. And the thing with the fly: are the fret ends cut short or at an angle? it seems weird.

No. The frets are nice stainless steel. It's just the neck dimensions -- the ultra
thin neck and not much clearance to the edge and its very easy to pull the string
right off.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I'm still finding it new in shops.

For instance, I believe the Guitar Asylum, Long Island, NY is among the many stores that still have these in stock.

Guitars can stay in shops for a long time.

The other week I saw one of the 20th RG550DY in a local store. I was about to die for it. Those things have been sold out for 6 months at least.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Guitars can stay in shops for a long time.

The other week I saw one of the 20th RG550DY in a local store. I was about to die for it. Those things have been sold out for 6 months at least.

I know.

I bought the 20th reissue at Matt Umanov, who still had two left (at the end of the summer) before I bought the DY.