hey i have been playing for a couple of years now and im starting to get into the more heavy stuff (atreyu, thrice, as i lay dying, escape the fate etc) and they all play in drop c tuning, i have played some songs in drop D and that was fine, but when i try to tune down to drop C i cant seem to get the tuning to ever sound right, i think im doing everything right, but it never sounds like it should

Can anyone please help me? what do i need to do to get it sounding right?

thanks
Cameron
umm im pretty sure i have it right, i have been doing cgcfad umm it sort of sounds ok but there is a couple of strings out by like a semitone or so, umm ive been trying for ages to get it right.
do you use a electronic tuner?
Use thicker strings...
Quote by scottishmob

This is a site for musicians and you're all crying about the sad state of rock? Fuck that. I'm going to practice more and take over radio. I advise you all to do the same.
11s-12s.

That or some EB Skinny top heavy bottoms. Work a treat for me, although I'm in C standard-drop A#, but I have a longer scale length than most so you should be fine.
alright cool well i have 10s on now sao i might try some 12s see if that works
thanks all
just checking, i tune the top E string down to a C, then i manuel tune the rest, when i do that what fret should i be pressing on each string?
Quote by which ones pink
^^^To Webbtje: C standard drop A#? You might as well be playing bass.

Anyway yes, thicker strings would help, also check your intonation.

If it's good enough for Arch Enemy, Dream Theater, In Flames, Dethklok, then it's good enough for me

EDIT: ^You tune the E to a C, then press the 7th fret on the C string to give you a G. Use the 5th fret on the G to give you the high C... etc etc.
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 6, 2007,
well for drop c you dont need to go as far as .12s, it could end up destroying your neck if you dont get your truss rod adjusted, id go .11s, .11-.52 will do just fine for drop c, i use that gauge for drop b on my les paul
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Drop C -> Standard

1. Play the 7th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 7th fret A string.
2. Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the 5th fret A string to match the D string open.
3. Play the 5th fret Low E and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E to match the A string open.
4. Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.
5. Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.
6. Play the 5th fret B string and the high e open. retune the high e to match the 5th fret B string.