Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 is the official start date of me playing the guitar. I am a 21 year old college student/striving to be pro guitarist.

It might seem like a late start to some, but most of the guitarists or any band members for that matter of bands I listen to are almost all over 30 years old so that makes me feel a lot better. But seriously, screw "age-excusitis", there are people that start way later than me and do just fine, so enough of that nonsense, lol.

Anyways, I have two goals which are kind of interesting and you wouldn't think they would go very well with each other.

1) I want to write, sing, and play Indie type acoustic songs similar in a way to one of my favorite bands--Death Cab For Cutie.

2) I want to either join or create a symphonic/gothic/hardcore/space metal band.

I'm going to use this thread to keep track of my progress on a daily basis to help keep me motivated, inspired, and all of that good stuff, so you guys don't really have to respond to this thread if you don't want to; I will mostly be talking to myself anyways

----------

11/03/2007:

Practiced for two hours.

11/04/2007:

Practiced for two hours.

11/05/2007:

Practiced for two hours.

11/06/2007:

N/A
Last edited by NocturnalOats at Nov 6, 2007,
I think maybe don't go in with the mindset that you want to be a pro, because when you hit a roadblock in your playing and start improving slower than before you might just lose all hope this has happened to a few students of mine...

Enjoy it and have fun
Nah...
Welcome to the world of guitar .

You can start out as most people do; learning the basic open position chords.

If you want to be in any kind of metal band these days, you need some decent technical ability. You could definitely do with starting out on the old chromatics exercises. Go buy a metronome, and if you want, a footstool (the type classical guitarists use). Get cracking with these at 40 - 60bpm, or slower if that feels too fast. Don't go any faster until you can do them in your sleep at those speeds.

|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-----------------|
|---------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------5-4-3-2---------|
|-------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------5-4-3-2-|
|-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------|
|---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------|
|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------|	etc

|-----------------------------------------2-3-4-1-4-5-2-3-----------------|
|---------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------5-2-3-4---------|
|-------------------------4-1-2-3---------------------------------2-3-4-5-|
|-----------------3-4-1-2-------------------------------------------------|
|---------2-3-4-1---------------------------------------------------------|
|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------|	etc