So I live in Australia, I play mostly Punk, Pop Punk and some Screamo.
I am getting quite a number of gigs at the moment, and I desperately need to upgrade from my Fender Frontman 25R *cries*. I would preferably like to get a half stack, solely because I really don't want to have to save up again to eventually get a larger amplifier. So it looks like tube ftw, judging by what i've heard about SS half stacks.

Although I have said this, I am completely open to suggestions on any amplifiers as long as they can be found on these websites.

www.guitar.com.au

www.billyhydemusic.com.au

www.allansmusic.com.au

The maximum I am looking to spend is around $2500 AUD, but if I would be better off with an amplifier of a greater price, i might be able to borrow some more cash from my every so rich granny... so yeah.

I look forward to getting some responses.

*Edit I play on a Fender Hiway 1 Telecaster Through an MI Audio Crunchbox www.miaudio.com if it makes any difference*
Last edited by AndyExpandy at Nov 6, 2007,
Quote by False_God
Marshall Jcm 900 combo.

50 watts. Thats all you need.

Was that a joke? Read his post, if he can only go to one of those 3 stores, then suggest something that can be found there in his price range, or why not ask if he can go used, or say "if you can go used, get this amplifier for this reason"

I'm assuming you live on the gold coast? Or are you just wanting to purchase online for some reason?

I think you should go for a JCM900 head, and something like a Marshall 1922 or 1936 cabinet. It'll give you the sound your looking for, enough volume and its easier than lugging a 4x12 around.

OR, a Randall MTS head, again with a 1922 or 1936.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Last edited by Cofflecakes at Nov 6, 2007,
Nah I live in brisbane, so its only about an hour to the coast.

Worth the drive for the selection however.

JCM 900 would be nice, but as a suggestion, how much of a difference in quality is it from the DSL50/100?.
**** marshall, i swear that the people on these forums are being paid by marshall to continuously ive them free plugs for their gear.

jcms are just good for turning it up to 11, balls to the wall playing loud. its pretty much quantity over quality.

i have my preference but there are SOOO many brands out there that u can possibly find any tone that you desire. one thing i do recommend is combos, especially around the 50watt mark. there are no need for half stacks or 1000943043.31watts. if ur NEEDing to get loud enough to go to a half stack, u most likely will be micing everything up, therefore meaning u can mic up the amp.
First off, as said, you don't need a stack, you'll never need to upgrade from a 25 watt tube combo (just mic it if it's not loud enough).

Also, +1 on the marshall thing.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Hadeed
**** marshall, i swear that the people on these forums are being paid by marshall to continuously ive them free plugs for their gear.

jcms are just good for turning it up to 11, balls to the wall playing loud. its pretty much quantity over quality.

i have my preference but there are SOOO many brands out there that u can possibly find any tone that you desire. one thing i do recommend is combos, especially around the 50watt mark. there are no need for half stacks or 1000943043.31watts. if ur NEEDing to get loud enough to go to a half stack, u most likely will be micing everything up, therefore meaning u can mic up the amp.

Are you sure now? We give a fair amount of blunt head traumas for the MG's, AVTs, and DSL's.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Cofflecakes
Was that a joke? Read his post, if he can only go to one of those 3 stores, then suggest something that can be found there in his price range, or why not ask if he can go used, or say "if you can go used, get this amplifier for this reason"

I'm assuming you live on the gold coast? Or are you just wanting to purchase online for some reason?

I think you should go for a JCM900 head, and something like a Marshall 1922 or 1936 cabinet. It'll give you the sound your looking for, enough volume and its easier than lugging a 4x12 around.

OR, a Randall MTS head, again with a 1922 or 1936.

The 1936 sounds better than the 1922, and also the 1922 is actually a few centimetres smaller (width-wise) than a lot of heads. Still, it sounds good enough, but for the difference in price (at least, in the UK) the 1936 is better.
thats very true, you don't need a halfstack. But thats what he prefers, so I'll do my best to recommend something in his price range good for his music.

Ideally, I'd suggest a Mesa of some kind, such as a Dual Rectifier or Road King, but they are way out of the price range.

The DSL50/100 have a more modern sound IMO. Try em both, it depends what your prefer really. They're both good quality, but different sounds.

Are you okay with going used, or you want to buy new?

And yep, I think the 1936 is better too, but if the difference between him getting the amp he wants is between him going a 1936 or a 1922, the 22 is still a pretty decent cab for the price.
Quote by kyrreca
At the moment, I'm thinking of going with a DSL50 and the 22 cab, just because I want to keep it as cheap as I can without sacrificing too much tone quality. But somebody please stop me if i'm making a bad decision.

OR

What are peoples opinions on a Randall RH50T Tube head? and a decent cab to go with it?
^The Dsl50 a nice amp if you can tweak it. and that cabs not so bad. Celestion GT12-75's decent speaker. But imo for the extra what ever the 36 would be better.

Quote by Cofflecakes

Ok,

No, it wasnt a joke.

Imo, its better to buy used instead of paying rediculous prices for equipment. But thats my opinion.

If you want to pay 2500AUD for an amp you could get for 2000AUD that does the same job fair enough. At the end of the day its the same amp.

TS- Would you be willing to buy used? You would get a much better quality amp like.
if u really wanted a half stack, i'd recommend getting an orange tiny terror. i saw them last week for around 850ish from guitar world in nerang and musician's pro shop in southport. then u have more to spend on a 'good' cab. keep in mind that just cus its more expensive doesn't mean its better.

i went to billy hyde checking out their tube combos. they were pushing vox and another brand named genz benz. the vox (30watt tube) was awesome as well as the genz benz... but i think genz benz is some brand they're trying to push into the market.

like i said, go check out the brands around the coast and brissy, allan's music in queen street usually is overpriced so at the 'smaller' stores u probably can get a good deal if u can get the amp at the same place.

p.s.
i'm from the gold coast so if u need a hand i'd be glad to help u around the gold stores.
I really want a half stack, but i would like to go as cheap as possible without sacrificing TOO much quality in the amplifier. Lets take the orange and JCM900s out of the picture and take the price down a bit.

Still Swaying towards the DSL50 untill someone tells me otherwise but now with the 36, because its not that much more expensive.

So apologies for misleading anyone in any of my previous posts.
I agree man, used is generally better, but for some people buying used isn't an option. My last purchase HAD to be through billy hyde, because I only got store credit, they wouldn't give me cash. My 1st DSL, I had And the JCM900 combos can be found for below $1300/ I let one slip the other day on ebay for $834

I don't think there is much better for what your probably going to pay ($1500ish)

Although, if you get the DSL, you can afford a 1960A cabinet. Theres your halfstack!
Quote by kyrreca
Last edited by Cofflecakes at Nov 6, 2007,
theres the vox AC50 CPH around $1600 retail...
if u wanted to match with a vox cab u can find a 4*12inch $700
Is the AC50 good for those types of music?

I've wanted an AC30 for ages, but that head price looks pretty good!
Quote by kyrreca
I was about to ask the same question

I play bands such as
Silverstein
Sum 41
Blink 182
Yellowcard
Frenzal Rhomb
Underoath
Breaking Benjamin

Just for an insight.
ive tried the combo vox AC30 CC2X, very nice. i was told they go @ $2500.

about music types... to me buying an amp is similar to singing. you don't really have a choice on how your voice is or its range, thats what your born with. either u can go against it and ruin your voice or work with what you have. over time it obviously does change but its still apart of yourself

same with amps. i feel as though theres a set 'tone' that your drawn to. you will find that eventually as time goes by with ur guitar playing experience. i'm not a big fan on people going for an amp for a certain 'style'. just go to what is drawn to you, what you like.

like harry potter and his want... you shouldnt choose, it should choose u...

enough of me babbling on about philosophical laa dee daa... any other relevant questions?
wicked. I got great sounds for the first 4 bands with my DSL50, but I never tried the others.

For those kind of sounds, a Randall RH50T could work too
Quote by kyrreca
Yep, I have a question.. How hard was your pop music exam?
Quote by kyrreca
Cofflecakes, dont you think you might want to make your own thread and stop hijacking this one?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by AndyExpandy
I was about to ask the same question

I play bands such as
Silverstein
Sum 41
Blink 182
Yellowcard
Frenzal Rhomb
Underoath
Breaking Benjamin

Just for an insight.

ooh... lol, with that quick list 2 things came to mind... mesa and marshall. depends what blink, sum, and yellowcard tone ur after (earlier they were fairly bright) but all together ur after a mid-darkish tone. so yeah... i dont mean to sound rude but with the amount of distortion your after... i'd say the quality will go out the window... (i began playing punk pop rock just so i'm not picking on u).

cheapest would be ur marshall, but no tsl... u can get away with a dsl... doesnt matter about 2000,900,800, 154504.42 model bla bla cus of what i stated about quality.

Quote by Cofflecakes
Yep, I have a question.. How hard was your pop music exam?

i didnt have an exam, i applied for bach of music at several other unis but i didnt wanna have to travel 1hour each way to do the course. bach of music have exams, bach of pop music just had an interview/audition.

i just sat, answered a fair few questions, played maybe 2min sections of 2-3 songs... i went for guitar but stated i could sing... but i didnt sing cus i'm not to a point where i felt it would help my audition :P

why do u ask?
Vox definately have an excellent reputation for making guitar amplifiers. They're cleans are epic. Not too sure about their distortion, but my pedal has some radcore crunch to it.

Would it be better than the marshall?
All but 1 of my posts has been relevant to the thread, so your in the same boat as me.

I wanted to do music performance of some kind, but my sight reading isn't up to scratch., so I was looking at pop.

I love the sound of a clean vox amp, but I'm not a fan of the AC30s overdriven sounds. Do you really want to keep using a pedal though, or get an amp that can do the sound on its own?
Quote by kyrreca
Quote by AndyExpandy
Vox definately have an excellent reputation for making guitar amplifiers. They're cleans are epic. Not too sure about their distortion, but my pedal has some radcore crunch to it.

Would it be better than the marshall?

indeed they do... distortions/overdrives i honestly dont care too much about because i prefer pedals (fuzzes/muffs/overdrive-boosts) i feel as though i have more control over it. i HEAR a lot of people talking about marshall distortions/ODs... i can only assume they're at least decent if so many people talk about them.

if i were u, i'd look into the amps full capabilities in those topics if ur wanting to go for something that has distortions. otherwise be a weirdo like me and buy pedals.
Looking at prices i'd say that the Marshall DSL 50 and the Vox AC50 are the amps i'm going for. So now it's probably up to me to get out there and play them.
right you are sir!

Be sure to use your guitar, and let us know how things go!
Quote by kyrreca
yeah, give us a heads up on your thoughts later on.

Quote by False_God
I found the Ac50 plain and utter ****!

thats nice