I am installing an EMG 81 and EMG 60 in a Jackson guitar with 1 volume and a 3 way selector.

Each pickup has a white wire going to the volume control and a red wire connecting to the red wire from the battery.

Now I have a black wire and a white wire from the output jack which I am not sure where to put.
I have a few guitars I am changing pickups on and was hoping to do it myself or at least try!
The instructions are very clear when it comes to EMGs. And there should be 3 wires to the output jack on EMGs. And black is usually ground and white is signal to the amp. But EMGs come with a stereo jack to make the battery connect.
Yes, there are 3 wires from the output jack.

1 black going to the battery
1 white
1 black

Do I just ground the black one and hook the white to the selector (pin1, pin2, pin3).
not clear how you have this wired. Since you only have one vol, the EMG's white(hot) leads should be going to the switch first, so you can select which pup is active. The wires may go to the pot first, but it should be only the braid(ground) that gets soldered to the bottom of the vol pot. From the switch, it should go to your normal volume pot connectors. From the vol pot, the common ground and hot lead go to the input jack. The extra connector on the input jack(stereo TRS) is for the battery ground. It completes the battery circuit to ground when you plug in a cord, so it allows the preamp to be powered on.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I followed the directions that came with the pickups. The first diagram from http://www.emgpickups.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMG-Hseries.pdf

I connected the 2 white wires from the pickups: soldered braid to the top of volume pot and connected both ends to the first connector. Is this wrong?

My selector is different to that in the diagram. It has 3 connectors in a line at the top and one (probably earth) at the opposite side.

At the moment, the volume will turn up and down the pickups but they are not "active" with a battery connected. There is a slight sound coming from them, with the battery disconnected or connected.
What Jackson are you putting these in? What kind of toggle does it have? Is it a Gibson style or is the fender type 'blade' switch?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Right, I don't think you've soldered the toggle switch right; you need to connect the wires from the pickups to different contacts so that the switch will work at all but apart from that I think Erock503 has it right.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I am going to de solder the white pickup wires from the connectors on the volume now and take them to the left and right on the selector. Then take another 2 wires from the same connectors on the selector to the volume first 2 connectors.
Nononono, when you've soldered the connectors from the pickups to the switch you need to take one wire from the switch's out to the volume pot in.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Ok, so now I have the 2 white pickup wires going to left and right connectors on the selector switch.

I am left with 2 free connectors on the volume and 1 free middle connector on the selector switch.

Do I now take a wire from the middle connector on the selector switch to the first connector on the volume?
EMG sent me a diagram for my guitar and I wired it up. When I connect a battery however, it does not power the pickups? The pickups are working fine passively.
Now I'm lost, if I were you I'd take it to a tech now 'cos I'm completely stumped.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
can you post the diagram you used? Make sure the little batter connector clip is giving a good connection, move it around a little while you're playing and see if the sound kicks in. Make sure you wired it to the correct ground on the stereo input jack.

From your description, the middle position on your switch, would be the output from the switch. That goes to the right prong on the pot(looking from bottom), and the left side should be connected to the ground at the input jack, and also bent back and connected to the bottom of the pot. The middle is then your hot lead, and goes to the input jack.

The lowest prong where you solder the wires on the input jack should be hot, the next highest should be the battery ground, and lowest should be the common ground from the volume pot.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Nov 6, 2007,
if it's wired exactly like that it should be working. Make sure your battery is good, and the 9V clip is functioning correctly. Make sure you wired the input jack correctly too. Did you use the one they supplied? It should be relatively easy to figure out if it's only the battery not working.
amp clips
amp vids
Yes, I used the volume pot and pre-wired output jack supplied with the EMG's.

I tried different new battery's.

I used some of the old wires, which are thicker then the EMG ones.
hmm, don't know then, stumped myself. The wires shouldn't make a difference as long as the connections are good. Did you check out the little battery clip? I've had 2 of them that were bad right out of the box. With the guitar on and plugged in, move the battery a little, and see if they power up.
amp clips
amp vids
I have just learned that if I de-solder the braid on the 2 white wires which were attached to the top of the volume pot and then connect the battery the wrong way around on the battery clip, the pickups work !!

So when I solder the braid back to the volume, and turn the battery the right way, it does not work.
With the help of EMG support, I got em working perfectly now. Problem was with the signal not going through the switch properly. They sound very good I must say.

Thanks to Erock503 and everyone who replied here