Hi guys, i'm new here (obviously) and decided to join because i want opinions about what kind of guitar to buy...i have been doing some research and its driving me mental..so i finally decided to post...

i want a cheap guitar..because i dont know how long i will last and yea..

anyway i have been looking at the Ibanez Gsz120 and wondering if that is a good choice...it comes with Ibanez TBX15R amp and a Case all for $599NZ ($299US)] discounted from $957

i'm not sure if it comes with cable but any suggestions for what kind of cables..

http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-GSZ120-Electric-Guitar-519966-i1150872.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-TBX15R-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Combo-Amp-480939-i1174163.Music123

good choice??

this is a package by the way..

i want to play songs from Evanescence, RHCP, Green Day, Foo Fighters, LP, Seether and more... but Mainly Evanescence..

will this work for what i want to play??

also when i was reading through this forum i saw this

Quote by Chewbeckah
I'm sure the Ibanez would work great for what you are planning. More specifically, I read that humbucker pickups (Ibanez) perform best in conjunction with songs that emphasize the bass strings. Don't let me influence you too much... just throwing in my 2 cents. I think the more experienced guys & gals here will have more reliable advice for you.

what does it mean?

the other choice is another package which has the AX30 guitar with the same amp above... for $399 discounted from $649

and the other choice Ibanez GRX20 by itself...

which one should i get?? or any other suggestions?
Last edited by sweet-sacrifice at Nov 6, 2007,
That quote about the bass strings, it's saying that the kind of pickups the guitar has will give an extra punch to the lower-toned strings, which is the kind of stuff you'd hear in metal and some punk. It'd be good for you.

My advice is to get a really cheap guitar to learn on, and once you get some experience, try out a lot of different guitars and see what you like.
Quote by GreekRockr9
That quote about the bass strings, it's saying that the kind of pickups the guitar has will give an extra punch to the lower-toned strings, which is the kind of stuff you'd hear in metal and some punk. It'd be good for you.

ok cool, um please define metal and give examples of bands please...

but its ok with the songs i want to learn??

and do u know or anyone know how "light" of the rock music can be played with this guitar examples too

Quote by GreekRockr9

My advice is to get a really cheap guitar to learn on, and once you get some experience, try out a lot of different guitars and see what you like.

cool, everytime i ask someone says to get an expensive guitar cause cheap ones hurt ur fingers or something...
Quote by Armon
I don't know about the guitar but for the amp you might want to look at the Roland Microcube http://www.music123.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-481169-i1175936.Music123
It will get you more different tones than that Ibanez amp and a few effects for about the same price. I think it will keep you interested longer, more stuff to play around with.

ok, i will prob. have to do a trade in..but im not too sure if i will be getting the ibanez amp with it cause last time when i saw the mailer it was a Peavey Practice amp..are they good??
Look used! Go down to the local pawn shop and see what's hanging on the wall!

Barring that, those package deals usually aren't so hot.

IMHO, the Yamaha Pacifica is one of the best beginner guitar deals out there. For another $50, you could get the solid alder (same wood as a Fender Strat) version.

I'd consider that and the Roland Microcube or a Vox DA5 or AD15 to be a much better starter set. As mentioned above, these little amps with their built in effects can be a lot of fun, and keep you playing. They also serve to cover your mistakes rather nicely.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The Pacifica and a Roland Cube or Peavey Transtube would make excellent starter gear.
Quote by slatsmania
Look used! Go down to the local pawn shop and see what's hanging on the wall!

Barring that, those package deals usually aren't so hot.

IMHO, the Yamaha Pacifica is one of the best beginner guitar deals out there. For another $50, you could get the solid alder (same wood as a Fender Strat) version.

I'd consider that and the Roland Microcube or a Vox DA5 or AD15 to be a much better starter set. As mentioned above, these little amps with their built in effects can be a lot of fun, and keep you playing. They also serve to cover your mistakes rather nicely.

ok , i'll have a look into that yamaha one, i got told that ibanez were the best guitars for guitars and especially rock music
^Anyone telling you that ANY company is the "best" for something is usually wrong. Try things out, and see what you like yourself! Right now, you probably don't have any idea what you like, but don't worry. Either The Roland Microcube or the Vox DA5 would be a good amp to start with, and the Yahmaha Pacifica or perhaps this: (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512150X) would be a good guitar. A cheap tuner, and a cable, and you're set.
^^ thanks, but that pacifica is something im starting to like..just reading the reviews. hopefully they are true...

now just a good amp...do the amps come with cable/? or does it come with the guitar or do u have to buy them yourself??? also picks? do u have to buy seperately?? and is there such thing as a good pick?

and anything else i need to finish of this pack?
You have to buy a cord, a little electronic tuner, some picks (medium) and a guitar chord book (or download from the internet.) Also a shoulder strap.
Quote by uldhppi
a little electronic tuner

I love my Korg GA-30 $20 too!

Chris
Quote by uldhppi
You have to buy a cord, a little electronic tuner, some picks (medium) and a guitar chord book (or download from the internet.) Also a shoulder strap.

o well, this sure is going to go over my budget think i might stick with the peavey amp

on the amp which is the distortion effect?

sorry about all these questions but i have no idea
It shouldn't be too bad. My first dive into guitar was this rig...

Marshall MG15DFX (yea, yea, I know, I know) - $99.00
Peavey HP Signature EX - $218.00
Fender Medium Picks - $2.25
Cables - $12.00

Total w/o tax - $331.25

...then, after seeing how bad the MG is, I go and buy this...

Boss OD-20 - $99.00

...then after another 6 months...

Dunlop 95Q Wah - $120.00

To get going, your budget shouldn't be too damaged if you haggle and shop.

Chris
If you're a beginner you should just get a stagg or something similar just to get you started, trust me.
Quote by RCShadow
I

To get going, your budget shouldn't be too damaged if you haggle and shop.

Chris

yeah i saw this

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/04/rpc/rpc.htm

and have been looking for prices...they sell there roland amp for 299 but is discounted to 249 and i have been trying to look for one cheper so i can get a better deal of them...
Quote by sweet-sacrifice
o well, this sure is going to go over my budget think i might stick with the peavey amp

on the amp which is the distortion effect?

sorry about all these questions but i have no idea

Don't cheap out on the amp over the cost of a cable. The Microcube and little Voxes are really nice little starter/practice amps, and will encourage you to play more. You'll get the feel within a couple seconds where the distortion is. It's not hard.

And if you're buying new, haggle with the salesman. You should be able to 10% at any Guitar Center type store and/or have them throw in stuff like a cable for free.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
hey guys i email my local music shop said they didnt have one but will order it for me (pacifica) and $399 for the guitar and $299 for the amp and + other stuff giving me a discount of 10% of everything..but will still be over the $600 mark. if i do get it is it better than actually getting the ibanez gsz120 +amp case and other stuff for $599 -10%.

help? what should i get...
Truth to tell, you need to go and actually hold the guitar(s) in your hands.

o Feel the neck...is it too thick? Thin? Just right?
o Do you like one guitars tone over another?
o Is the action ok?
o Does the guitar feel good to you sitting? Standing?

You will have to live with your decision for a long while, and, truth to tell, might even make you a "bigot" with that particular brand and set up. I wouldn't be in a rush, I would really think some of these things through; read all you can on each and make a sound decision about what YOU want. Guitars are *very* personal things .

Just my .02

Chris
Quote by sweet-sacrifice
hey guys i email my local music shop said they didnt have one but will order it for me (pacifica) and $399 for the guitar and $299 for the amp and + other stuff giving me a discount of 10% of everything..but will still be over the $600 mark. if i do get it is it better than actually getting the ibanez gsz120 +amp case and other stuff for $599 -10%.

help? what should i get...

personally, I think the Pacifica and Microcube would be worth the extra money. I love that little amp, and I'm buying one as soon as I get the money.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by sweet-sacrifice
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-G-310-SG-Electric-Guitar-518280-i1149969.Music123?mode=1&qso=7

what do u think about that one ^^ instead of the pacifica??

also does it matter where guitars are made?? i mean whats the dif. if it were made in the US intead of china? cheaper labor

You hit on a BIG discussion with this subject. This will take your thread to new heights lol. But to answer your question, it does seem to matter where the axe was made. I am sure others will chime in as the day wears on.

I might suggest you do a little searching on UG for this latest subject.

Chris
My son's first guitar was an Epiphone Jr., and I absolutely hated it. The biggest problem with it was that it wouldn't stay in tune for the length of a song. That gets pretty discouraging for a new player struggling to get things right, only to sound like crap even when his hands are in the right places. All I know is that I'd never buy or recommend another cheap Epi.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.