Hey
I am buying a pod x3 (L) and want to get a tube poweramp for a low price (i really done care about wattage, even 5 would do - unless there is a distinct disadvantage).
so i'll be on a tight budget.
(plz sugest something other than the reactor - ill have to get the gear imported)
thanks
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Line 6 POD X3Live : Digitech Rp80 : Tascam US144
Kustom Sound (crappy ass) solid state amp
Old Steel String Acoustic (some local company)
I've been searching for the same thing for my tube-based preamp. Rocktron used to make one, but they discontinued it long ago. They now only market their SS power amp, the Rocktron Velocity 100, for about $229 USD. I actually may end up getting one of those.

But, I may also try the 5-Watt Epiphone Valve Junior head (or actually, that new Blackheart Valve Junior clone from Crate coming out which has both a 3-Watt and 5-Watt switchable output). They're both a tube heads, although I was really looking for about a <$500 USD rack-mount unit. It's cheap. They sound awesome cranked, but neither unit has master volume. But for the money, they're certainly worth a try.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 8, 2007,
That's a shame - the Reactor would probably have been the best option. I've heard clips where people have run effects units through them and they sound pretty good. THAT is how hybrid technology should work (though it does bring an increase in cost).

The cheapest you can get, I guess, would be one of the five-watt amps like LEVEL4 has suggested. However, it will colour your tone a little if you run an effects unit through it. You could also look for a Marshall 20/20, but I think that may be out of your price range. And if you can't find a good enough valve power amp, you could always try a Crate Powerblock, but it is solid state.
Quote by Denthúl
And if you can't find a good enough valve power amp, you could always try a Crate Powerblock, but it is solid state.
If 99% of your sound is being shaped by your preamp or PODxt-type device anyway, an SS power amp is just fine. I'm running my preamp through a POS Crate SS practice combo amp right now (feeding its speaker output instead to a 4x12 cabinet), and it sounds surprisingly transparent.

Again, I don't know why manufacturers discontinue apparently popular products (I guess, they just weren't popular "enough"). The Crate PowerBlock was a fantastic product, but it too is discontinued. A few online outlets appear to be selling Crate PowerBlock "refurbs" for $99, but I currently can't find one in stock.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

eBay is your friend

And sometimes manufacturers don't appear to have a logical reason for discontinuing something. I mean, the Squier '51 was amazingly popular (and a great guitar for pocket money prices) yet that was discontinued...

Edit: Also, if you haven't done, you should hear a POD through an Atomic Reactor. It actually sounds really good when it's turned up. More genuine sounding than things like the Valvestates, Valvetronix etc.
That's almost like asking for a gold bar in trade for an MG10

Over here in the UK, you can usually find them for about £50. Before I got my first valve amp, my plan was just to run my Zoom G2 through one of them into a 2x12 cab. I'm glad I changed my mind, but it still would've been decent for someone who, at the time, played absolutely every style.
Quote by Denthúl
Also, if you haven't done, you should hear a POD through an Atomic Reactor. It actually sounds really good when it's turned up. More genuine sounding than things like the Valvestates, Valvetronix etc.
Wow! Those actually look very, very cool!

Atomic Reactor

Yes, the DC pedals! I think those are AWESOME! I think the PODxt-type units tend to get a bit of unfair bashing around here. I think they do what they do pretty well, and I know for a fact (because I've seen them with my own eyes), major acts (bands that you would totally know) use them on-stage on tour.

If you don't want to spend the money on a tube preamp, look around for a Crate Powerblock. It's a small little SS head, it would work great as a cheap alternative for using your Pod without having to spend the money on a tube poweramp. Something to consider, maybe not the best idea in the world since you're looking for low wattage.
I agree. Any decent SS power amp should do. Used Crate PowerBlocks can be found for about $100 USD on Ebay. The Rocktron Velocity 100 SS power amp sells new for $229 USD, and does what you need in a rack-mount form factor.

Quote by LEVEL4
If 99% of your sound is being shaped by your preamp or PODxt-type device anyway, an SS power amp is just fine. I'm running my preamp through a POS Crate SS practice combo amp right now (feeding its speaker output instead to a 4x12 cabinet), and it sounds surprisingly transparent.

Again, I don't know why manufacturers discontinue apparently popular products (I guess, they just weren't popular "enough"). The Crate PowerBlock was a fantastic product, but it too is discontinued. A few online outlets appear to be selling Crate PowerBlock "refurbs" for $99, but I currently can't find one in stock.

I had one, it wasn't nearly as loud as it should be, even with 103db rated speakers. It's also very muddy, it's only a single channel amp.

It breaks up early, even sing the line in.

If the Crate powerblock 2 ever comes out, I hope they improve on this.

Manufacturers discontinue stuff so they can make a killing with reissues, just think of the JCM800, Ibanez Tubescreamer, and so on.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by LEVEL4
Wow! Those actually look very, very cool!

Atomic Reactor

Yeah the reactors sound awesome compared to everything else iv tried with my pods. They even sound mighty impressive with valve based preamps.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso