Hey guys, its been awhile. I'm trying to fix up my bass (starter Yamaha P-bass) and i have a couple of questions

- I defretted the bass a few months ago and put laquer on it. However, I want to try out using roundwounds, so does anyone know the finish/epoxy that Jaco used on his bass?

- Inotation. I tried to intonate my strings, and I manage to get the open and 12th to match, but once I go south on the strings, it get extremely flat (especially on the g-string) How can i remedy this

Im thinking of taking it to a luthier, but does anyone know how much that will cost me?

- Pickups. I brought these blade pickups
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP127-Split-P-Replacement-Pickup-for-Fender-P-Bass?sku=302265
(btw, are there any opinions on these) and I'm wondering how they are oriented for mounting. Should the 2 magnets that are close together repel or attract?

Thanks guys

Ren

EDIT: Can someone give me a rough estimate of how many watts I will need to be heard in a 20 piece band [mostly brass]? Thanks
Last edited by InvaderRen at Nov 6, 2007,
Jaco used Pettit's Poly-Poxy.

I got my fingerboard coated for $50.

However, in modern times, poly-coating instead of epoxy coating is a much better alternative. The poly is tonally identical to epoxy and is much easier to apply which will probably save you money in the end. Check out my blog about it.

As far as how many watts in a brass band, I think you'll need to worry about the number of speakers as much as the watts. You'll need a large radiating surface area of speakers to sound as huge as the brass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
eh, multiple speakers isnt really an option for me, im a broke college kid. I'm just trying to find an upgrade from my 10 watt practice amp

What is used for the poly coat? and whats the link to your blog?

Thanks

EDIT: What is the difference between wiring the pickups in and out of phase? I'm looking for max humbucking
Last edited by InvaderRen at Nov 6, 2007,
Quote by InvaderRen
Hey guys, its been awhile. I'm trying to fix up my bass (starter Yamaha P-bass) and i have a couple of questions

- I defretted the bass a few months ago and put laquer on it. However, I want to try out using roundwounds, so does anyone know the finish/epoxy that Jaco used on his bass?

- Inotation. I tried to intonate my strings, and I manage to get the open and 12th to match, but once I go south on the strings, it get extremely flat (especially on the g-string) How can i remedy this

Are you sure you got the 12th fret harmonic and the 12th fret note identical? If so, just learn to rely less on the visual markers and more on your ear to make it in tune.

Im thinking of taking it to a luthier, but does anyone know how much that will cost me?

Not much at all, it is a simple job for an experience luthier

- Pickups. I brought these blade pickups
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP127-Split-P-Replacement-Pickup-for-Fender-P-Bass?sku=302265
(btw, are there any opinions on these) and I'm wondering how they are oriented for mounting. Should the 2 magnets that are close together repel or attract?

Just use the logos to find out which way up they go.

Thanks guys

Ren

EDIT: Can someone give me a rough estimate of how many watts I will need to be heard in a 20 piece band [mostly brass]? Thanks

Honestly, I'd say 200W at the very least, and that really pushing it. Brass is very loud an deep, and will be competing in your range and easily overpower weaker amps. As much as possible really, but not behringer watts.

There you go.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by InvaderRen
What is used for the poly coat? and whats the link to your blog?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/thefitz/blog/5057/

For a poly coat, just put poly finish on your fingerboard instead of epoxy. You can literally paint it on, instead of having to mix it and so forth (like on epoxy).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
O wait, i think used a finish w/ polyu in it. I noticed [insignificant] wear w/ the flats i have on. Wont the rounds wear it off faster? Should apply another coat or is the damage neglegible

Intonation: I thought it was open to 12th fret. Ill try 12th fret to 12th harmonic when i get some time. Thanks
Damaging the poly/epoxy is not a big deal, as you can just sand/slather on a new layer - however, it's the wood that's a problem when it's damaged. You can't paint on a layer of wood. The whole point of poly/epoxy is for it to wear instead of the wood.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by InvaderRen
O wait, i think used a finish w/ polyu in it. I noticed [insignificant] wear w/ the flats i have on. Wont the rounds wear it off faster? Should apply another coat or is the damage neglegible

Intonation: I thought it was open to 12th fret. Ill try 12th fret to 12th harmonic when i get some time. Thanks

Open to 12th fret are an octave apart, it should be impossible to get the same note.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1