I can get a 2003 MIM Fender Fat Strat, with a retro hard carrying case, a couple of cords, a buffing cloth, and a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal for 280.

Or I can get a 70s Reissue MIM Fender Strat with a hard case for 300.

I want to play blues, classic rock. Mainly Clapton and a little bit of the Beatles (mainly Let it Be)

Which should i go for?

I know the 280 sounds better, but i dont know much about the 70s reissue.

Also, I have a budget of about 400, so what is a good amp i could buy for less than 100? I just need a small one I can play in my room, I dont want to play in a band or anything, just one so I can hear it myself.
Two things,

Firstly, The MIM strats are good but I'd opt for a new one, not a 2003 one. This is because the newer versions have an improved tremolo block for increased sustain.

Secondly, don't skimp on an amp, your amp is 70% of your sound. I'd recommend the Vox AD30VT, its £130 and an extremely good first amp and it suits a variety of music.

Hope this helped
First off, it can be really good amp for less than 100. If it's just for practice, I'd suggest a small tube amp, or if you want to go more inexpensive, the Crate X15R might be a decent choice. That's my practice amp and it sounds pretty good to me.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
yer, microcubes rule!
cost me only £80
.. but to the threadstarter, and on topic:
im sorry but i know nothing about the 70's reissue.
although i do remember hearing something about older=better.
but the might be BS
and it doesnt really sound like you need a distortion pedal... but oh well

so basically..
free bump

or you can go to your local guitar shop and try out both guitars on the same amp.
find your favourite feel and tone.
Go with the 2003 MIM for 280. I'm not sure what cords are (strings?) but the boss ds-1 is money. As far as amps go, i'd suggest a line6 spiderIII 15 watt. Excellent range of tones, I can get anywhere from incubus cleans, to blues scream, to high gain van halen sounds from that. Good size and volume for in your room practicing too, only 100 bucks.

70's re-issue, she-shmissue, save up for a real 70's strat once you're ready for another guitar.
Gear nut
would i be able to get sounds like the guy in the youtube video with just an amp and the boss distortion? also, what does the humbucker sound like? would it fit my style of classic rock and blues?
Quote by nikeshp
would i be able to get sounds like the guy in the youtube video with just an amp and the boss distortion? also, what does the humbucker sound like? would it fit my style of classic rock and blues?

I'd say humbuckers are needed if you want a a thick and fat tone, needed for heavy rock as single coils are just too thin. Yes you should easily be able to get that tone with a standard strat with a bridge single coil and a decent amp like the VoxAD30VT. The distoriton pedal won't be needed with that amp.
Well I am buying the guitar used, and it has a humbucker already, so would i be able to get that tone with a humbucker and a Line 6 Spider III 15 Watt and a distortion pedal?

Or would it be easier to get that tone with a Line 6 Spider III 15 Watt and the 70s reissue?

Would a roland microcube or a 15 watt roland be better to get that tone than a line 6 spider III 15 watt?
Personally, I don't like roland cubes. Spiders are alright, but you will get bored of it pretty soon.

My vote goes to vox ad15vt or ad30vt. Used ones can be a bit cheaper. Vox DA5 is also worth considering as well.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

i'll have to wait til i get home to see the youtube link (im at work and that site is blocked) but if its classic rock, bluesy sound you're looking for the spider can do that.. one of the 4 preset tones the spider comes with is actually whole lotta love. And the humbucker in the fat strat would further help you achieve those sounds.

also, another thing you may wanna consider, if you don't have a pedal, you'll have a hard time switching between cleans and distortion in mid-song.
Gear nut
If i get the 280 fat strat, then it comes with a boss distortion pedal, so that should not really be a problem, and i dont know much about the chords, the guy just says there are 2 six foot chords and a 1 foot connector chord.
go for the new MIM strat and an epiphone valve junior combo. 5 watts of proper tube power for your classic clapton stuff. yardbirds/bluesbreakers/cream although he often used a les paul in the early days i think the darker sound of the VJ will compensate for this. also its quiet enough that your neighbours wont call the fuzz (unless you put it up to 11)...
Quote by nikeshp
If i get the 280 fat strat, then it comes with a boss distortion pedal, so that should not really be a problem, and i dont know much about the chords, the guy just says there are 2 six foot chords and a 1 foot connector chord.

oh lol.. im dumb. yeah you'll need more than 1 cable to connect the pedal.

i have a valve junior stack and love it, the combo might be more than 100 tho, the stack was near 200.

VJ in this case is valve junior.
Gear nut
yeah, i think im going to go with the 280 2001 MIM Fat Strat, the Boss DS-1 Pedal, and the epiphone junior valve (stack or combo, whichever i can find cheaper used). thanks for the help.

would i be able to play let it be you think? that is my main goal as an aspiring guitarist. will it sound good with my equipment?
that sounds like a good setup. (i'd suggest the junior valve over the spider, i own both but like the valve much more, once you go tube you never go back) Put enough time and effort into it and you'll be able to play anything you want, also, don't be so concerned with sounding identical. make your own trademark sound and style and play let it be that way, its more gratifying. good luck and keep at the guitaring.
Gear nut
I would get the 2003 one because it comes with more for less.

As for an amp. I would get a Line 6 Spider III 15W. It was my second amp and its pretty good. I would probably get a footswitch for it too.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
i decided on a epiphone valve junior amp and the 280 dollar guitar. i feel that that would be the best combination to play blues and stuff on.
Quote by nikeshp
whats a vj?

a vlowjob...

just kidding, its a Valve Junior, by Epiphone, its a small tube amp.
nothing i think, they both have only 1 12 in em, should be the same speaker too
Gear nut