hey guys, i just started playing guitar a few weeks ago and can read tab pretty well, but a friend who just started with me is reading this book teaching him to read actual music..... is there any advantage of reading music over tab??? I've heard of soo many guitarists who never learned to read music but played by ear/tab??

has anyone here never learned to read music/any advantages?
i am learning from a classical book at present.

i know lots of guitarists have made it big without learning to sight read but its got to help! if you can turn up somewhere and play what is put in front of you without prior knowledge it has to be an advantage...

ultimately its your choice.
I suppose it would help for if you tried to play another instrument
Quote by Pinky19
My guitar is so ugly, it makes me wanna punch a baby.
If you ever want to do anything professionally in music, you need to be able to read music.

Even if you don't, I recommend you do. It helps you see things differently, enables you to play stuff that wasn't even written for guitar, enables you to communicate with musicians on other instruments, ...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I think actually knowing how notes and chords etc all correspond with each other can also benefit you're playing and your understanding of how the instrument works as well as all listed above, especially pro-musician
its really helpfull and a really good idea if you can be bothered with it, if you plan on becoming a session musician then you really do need to learn it
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
I've always played by tab/ear, but i wish i had learned to read proper music. I'm too lazy to learn now, since i can read tab.

Quote by otniel01
heard of soo many guitarists who never learned to read music but played by ear/tab??

Most of those guitarists who actually made it anywhere were very talented musicians and could understand complex musical theory without learning to read music because of their unusual gift. No offense, but i doubt you're the next Hendrix, so learn to read if you ever wanna do anything pro.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
^ Well it's not so much that, i don't believe in talent, just hard work - but basically back in the day the internet wasn't invented and you'd have to pay money to get tabs or sheet music in most cases and so what many people had to do to learn their fave tunes on the radio was just listen to it, which means they developed more key skills early on, where as we, kids of the 90's, just get spoon fed free tabs and lose the use of our ears]

EDIT: Just to say, i'm also a self made victim of this, i believe that my last years use of guitar pro has actually really decreased how much i depend upon my ears and so i've become worse for it, as aslong as the note on the guitar sounds vaguely like the one produced by the software then i'd be happy, which means i dont have a bit of paper and the cd/mp3 and listen for myself

I think i shall have to rectify this problem by getting rid of it (it was a free copy anyway)
Last edited by philipisabeast at Nov 6, 2007,
Quote by philipisabeast
^ Well it's not so much that, i don't believe in talent, just hard work - but basically back in the day the internet wasn't invented and you'd have to pay money to get tabs or sheet music in most cases and so what many people had to do to learn their fave tunes on the radio was just listen to it, which means they developed more key skills early on, where as we, kids of the 90's, just get spoon fed free tabs and lose the use of our ears]

EDIT: Just to say, i'm also a self made victim of this, i believe that my last years use of guitar pro has actually really decreased how much i depend upon my ears and so i've become worse for it, as aslong as the note on the guitar sounds vaguely like the one produced by the software then i'd be happy, which means i dont have a bit of paper and the cd/mp3 and listen for myself

I think i shall have to rectify this problem by getting rid of it (it was a free copy anyway)

Then how the hell do you explain that little kid jamming with Buddy Guy coherently. Young musicians like him with prodigal talents don't spend the first 4 years of their life learning how to read and play music, do they? When they're old enough they get the basic premise of music theory and play. With people so young, that's talent, not hard work.

And I'm sure there are loads of guitarists that worked harder than Hendrix but never had the natural talent and flair to become a great musician.
are there any free sites that teach you how to read notes??? im currently saving for guitar lessons and have heard theres better free stuff than those books
^ Okay saying talent at learning fast and being naturally inventive was wrong, however there's of course a factor of actually having to be shown methods or ways of playing, and there's deffinately people who can naturally pick it up very quickly, but by the same coin, people who have been totally un-musical by nature have become succesful and famous, such as Vai who said himself that 90% of what he does he wasn't naturally talented with but worked hard to master it, the guy was saying that if he wasn't mega talented then the only way of being succesful would be to study theory super hard, as if people with a flair would not, although that depends upon whether you take one side or the other in what he said
Quote by philipisabeast
^ Okay saying talent at learning fast and being naturally inventive was wrong, however there's of course a factor of actually having to be shown methods or ways of playing, and there's deffinately people who can naturally pick it up very quickly, but by the same coin, people who have been totally un-musical by nature have become succesful and famous, such as Vai who said himself that 90% of what he does he wasn't naturally talented with but worked hard to master it, the guy was saying that if he wasn't mega talented then the only way of being succesful would be to study theory super hard, as if people with a flair would not, although that depends upon whether you take one side or the other in what he said

Well, first off, I'm sure Vai was simply having a sense of humility, and not bragging or being arrogant about his playing. There is no denying that he has plenty of natural talent. Also, I think you need to differentiate between talent and the ability to learn fast. Learning fast can come to lots of people, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're brilliantly talented guitarists. You can cram a boatload of theory into your head very quickly, if you have the mind for it. But it takes talent and a natural sense of musicianship to use all that theory to the max.
i agree with humpador, but i will just add ma wee view that with hard work comes talent, u may not be talented to start with but that doesnt mean u cant become talented, vai is an extremely talented player cos he practised 10 hours a day which is hard work
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Well you don't know whether you're talented until you play, so saying you can become talented over time is wide of the mark, IMO. Some people might be ridiculously talented, and end up not working hard at all, and still be a success. There are others that work hard with little talent and again still be a success. But there are those who have such talent and dedication, and become a big success.

I can read music, I played the saxophone before the guitar only problem is... I don't know where all the notes are on the guitar so I have to learn it by tab, and it works out quite well!
You do however need to know the basic notation about rythm, 1/4th notes, 1/8th and all... Or you could do all by ear and tab but that's quite hard for some difficult rythm parts.
Yes.. You do need to be able to read music.. Using it is a different question and depends on what you what to do. Think of it this way. Music is a foreign language, guitar especially (tabs, etc) however; using written notation is a common way of "communication" to all musicians.
At the very least, you have to know what notes mean in terms of beats, rests, etc. you also NEED to know time signatures, and what it means. I think you can get by not being the most fluent in the actual note, but it helps to at least know it and be able to recall it, even if you need to stare at the page for a few minutes.
Yes, even though I suck at it. Learn it. I didn't work on it enough and I suck at it and I've been playing six years.

Definitely learn it newbie
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS