Hello all.I'm new on here and would greatly apprecitate some advice on how to go about adjusting the intonation on my nylon string acoustic guitar.
It's a fairly new guitar, i've changed the strings over a few times, and after doing this yesterday the intonation on the high E string has gone out.Does anyone know how i mgiht go about adjusting this?I know it's probably just going to be a job for a pro but i thought there might be something I could do.The other strings are fine.
I use different tunings which I know can cause these kind of problems but the guitar [and my last one] have been fine up till now.The tunings often creep up fairly high, and i like the hard tension strings as i prefer the sound. Does anyone know if i can have the guitar set up to better cope with different open tunings and harder tension on the kneck?

Theres no truss rod that i can see like there is on steel string guitars so i cant make any adjustments there.I'm hoping theres something simple that can be done.

Please let me know what anyone thinks about this, or if you know anyone good to get advice from in the London area.Thankyou

Tom
Referencing the previous post... have you changed the gauge of the strings you were using? If so, I'd go back to the gauge you had on the guitar before the problems started. A nylon strung guitar doesn't have a truss rod - this is a metal rod that runs through to neck to reinforce it against the tension created by metal strings. This rod could be tweeked to adjust intonation and action but if you don't have one... If you do have one, I'd take the guitar to a local tech for a set up.
Thanks for the swift replys.The strings I'm using are the hard tension D'addario nylon strings.I have used these for ages cause I prefer the sound.It's a bit worrying that my tunings might have started to effect the kneck.I always thought it might but i've got away with it so far.I used to use a capo a lot but i foud the guitar sounded better without.and without realising it my tunings crept up.hmmmmm.......I'll have to seek out a decent guitar tech somewhere and see what they think. Do you think it could be linked to changes in temperature? I left the guitar in a cold room [in the case] and then brought it into a warmer room where its been since i strung it up.

I know humidity can effect the wood.

Thanks for any advice.i've not had to deal with anything like this since i started playing so it'd be good to find someone who knows what they are doing with set-ups and get some advice.

Thanks again

Tom
It seems unlikely that going from cold room to warmer room in the case would affect the guitar as you are describing.

Best of luck -
Floyd
Hello, the classical guitar is not good for different tunings on the treble strings, once the strings have stretched-in the intonation will go bad if you mess with the tuning. You will notice that none (almost) of the standard pieces for classical guitar have an unusual tuning for the treble strings, if you are wanting to make your own music with alternative tuning, you'll either have to use a steel-strung guitar, or change your strings more often. Treble strings wont tolerate being stretched any more than they need to be.

Having said all of that, you may have a bad guitar - what is it?

Madras
the guitars an iberica. I've been changing the strings often anyway, but not until a while after they've fully stretched in. but this is a new problem.I was thinking the bridge may have warped slightly with the added pressure, maybe....my last guitar was fine but that fell and broke quite badly. I'd always used a steel string for this kind of thing in the past but i prefer the sound of my classical and so have been playing with that for a while now.

maybe the capos gonna have to come back out..........
I think I may know what's going on, as you eluded to it a couple times when you mentioned that the tuning "crept up". As a rule, aside from turning the tuners by hand, the only thing that will cause the pitch of any given string to rise would be humidity. A guitar's sound will fluctuate with rises and falls in humidity levels because the wood is swelling/drying out over time. A high humidity guitar will drift sharp everywhere and need constant retuning, but the opposite goes for one that is too dry, it will want to drift flat. This is why it's best to try to keep the guitar at a constant 45% if at all possible.
Back to your original thought on intonation. Is it truely intonation that you are concerned with? Or is it the fact that you can tune the guitar, then after a time, the open E string sounds sharp? These two issues are quite different and would need to be addressed differently as well.
If you determine that the intonation is off by tuning up to concert pitch, then comparing the open string notes to the 12th fretted notes, the only ways to adjust intonation on acoustic guitars is to either angle the bridge saddle forward or back by filing it, or to sand/shim the nut so that it is closer/farther away to/from the bridge. Changing string gauges will effect intonation too.
Some classical guitars do indeed have truss rods, but generally speaking, the majority do not. Besides the fact that the truss rod is not an intonation adjustment if there were one. It does effect intonation, but is a setup step for neck relief prior to intonating, which is one the last steps in a setup.
Hope this information helps you decide which way you need to go with your guitar.
Thanks again for all the responses. i think its going to be a case of adjusting the bridge or the nut, as it's only one string causing problems. When i hit the harmonic on 12th fret then play the note ,the plucked note sounds higher pitched than the harmonic [on nthe high E].Theres slight differences i think in pitch on other strings but this i expect as its tuned the way it is, but that particular sting sounds terrible, even when the whole guitar is in standard tuning.

Thanks again for your advice.