ok.. so right now im a music major in college..

but i suck at singing.. i hate it, i hate my voice.. never been a singer.

can you get a music degree without having to do alot of singing? like take aural skills with an instrument?

i dont really know if thats how i should put that.. but yeah, i want to get my degree, i just dont want to sing.
If you're an instrumental major I don't think you should have to do any singing,,,,,I don't have to anyway
I would assume so, for my college course singing is just an instrument you can 'play', where you have to be able to play an instrument to do the course, for performances and such.
maybe if there is choir involved you have to be able to sing a scale, just to make sure your not tone deaf or something:P
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
damn... cause the semester is pretty close to over.. and ive still gone nowhere with singing ability
I had to sing for all of the ear training classes. which really sucked because alot of people in that class were from choir and actually could sing. It was damn embarassing for me. That was the only class that I HAD to sing in though.

Overall, It did help me alot, and im glad that I was made to do it. I would have avoided it otherwise. Sometimes you just have to keep working at it and say **** what anyone else thinks.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I had to sing for all of the ear training classes. which really sucked because alot of people in that class were from choir and actually could sing. It was damn embarassing for me. That was the only class that I HAD to sing in though.

Overall, It did help me alot, and im glad that I was made to do it. I would have avoided it otherwise. Sometimes you just have to keep working at it and say **** what anyone else thinks.

this is kinda exactly what i needed to hear... ive been tellin myself just to buck up and practice until i dont have problems... but damn i suck, and yes everyone else in the class is in choir and has been for some time... so its uber embarrassing
Hmm, I don't think you can get away being a music major here with NO singing... but you certainly don't have to be great.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
As long as you can sing every interval you should be fine. I'm pretty embarrassed about singing, even when nobodies around, so I'd rather humm. Would they accept this?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I was in the same situation when I was working on my degree. While I hate having to sing in general (thank God for chord-melodies) and it was embarrassing to be around a few voice majors in my classes, I eventually got over my poor singing voice and the good singers in my classes were understanding. And while I didn't necessarily enjoy my Aural Skills classes, they helped me greatly.

Muphin, it depends on the teacher. I had a teacher who didn't care if we hummed, but in general, I had to actually sing.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
If your primary instrument is something other than voice, you shouldn't have to do much singing. I do think that there's more than a little self fulfilling prophecy going on, though. I wouldn't necessarily give up on improving your voice, but I would look into switching teachers. Sometimes people get along fine as people but just don't click in the studio, and the right teacher can make all the difference in the world. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a teacher who explains things in a way that makes sense to you and then the proverbial lightbulb goes off and you think oh, so that's what my old teacher was trying to tell me. I left the last school I was at because there was only one voice teacher, and we didn't click in the studio. It was leave or ruin my voice, so I left.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
Quote by queenofthenight
I do think that there's more than a little self fulfilling prophecy going on, though.

haha i say this all the time!

... i still havent buckled down
Quote by hippie_cune
haha i say this all the time!

... i still havent buckled down

So what's stopping you? The more skills you have, the more valuable you are as a musician.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
Quote by queenofthenight
So what's stopping you? The more skills you have, the more valuable you are as a musician.

Quote by hippie_cune
i hate it, i hate my voice.. never been a singer.

plus i ALREADY play:

guitar
banjo
mandolin
jaw harp
harmonica
trumpet
and Piano (im in skool for it know.. i know major and minor scales as well as major/minor/aug/dim chords)

so i think im a pretty accomplished 21 year old musician.. and when i started guitar i had heard of theory, so i really dove deep into that from the beginning