I'm working on building a small studio in a spare room of my house, because my brother just moved out. My amps however, are, so to say mediocre. Basically, I'm borrowing a friends Crate FXT120 that has a distortion channel that refuses to work, and running it through a pedal set to bypass and plugging in a pair of computer speakers. Ghetto, but creative enough to work I guess, and he's a pretty big pot head, who's always to be busy getting high to play guitar, so he's letting me use his Jackson (I'm not sure of the model and everything. I know it's dinky, and it doesn't have a tremolo on it.), but I'm unhappy without the lack of the ability to do crazy divebombs, my brother let me use his guitar when he was still here. Basically, I've decided on a Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, and, I'm having a terrible time choosing an amp. All I know I want is a kind of Master of Puppets low crunch, while keeping that high squeal, with a little bit of modernized bite. I play a wide range of music, but mainly it's thrash metal, and I can go up to a grand on my amp.
does it have to be a halfstack? in my opinion, i think you could get a better combo for the money.
a grand being $ or £?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
A grand in USD. I'd much rather have a half stack, because I have one band in the works, I'm trying out for Jazz Band at school next year, I constantly get called into help other bands with gigs and sound checks at house shows, a lot of times they need good equipment to use, and it'd be nice to have it just in case.
Quote by idahoimmortal
A grand in USD. I'd much rather have a half stack, because I have one band in the works, I'm trying out for Jazz Band at school next year, I constantly get called into help other bands with gigs and sound checks at house shows, a lot of times they need good equipment to use, and it'd be nice to have it just in case.

yeah but i think youd be fine with a combo still. a halfstack really isnt very good for home use, and you could probably be better off with a 30 or 50 watt tube if you ask me.
I'd say go for a Carvin MTS,,,that'll leave you with about 300, and with that you can find a decent 2x12 if you dig around.
a half stack doesnt equate to good in most cases. a top of the line 4x12 runs a few hundred more than your budget. hate to jump on the boat, but for your budget you could get a great combo amp. will be heavy as shit though.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Used Peavey 6505 combo.

You do not need a half stack.

you do not need to play the guitar either. calm down.
Is a 30 or 50 watt good for gigging at all though? I've never bought a guitar amp, and I know nothing about tube amps at all, I'm a bassist usually, but I've been playing a lot more guitar recently, I like it a lot more.

EDIT: The thousand dollar budget is just because I'm really impatient... I can save money for a while. I'm liking the idea of a half stack just because that gets you offers to play with other bands a lot more, it'll last me for a while, and I can get one of those sound proofing cabinets for the amp and then crank it up and get a really nice recording sound.
Last edited by idahoimmortal at Nov 6, 2007,
30 or 50 tube watts is extremely loud. The only benefit of having a half stack is it looks cooler. A good combo will fulfill all of your needs. I have never tried a 5150, but have heard good things about its metal capabilities. Many people disagree, but I think the B-52 AT series sound great. Try it out, I think you will be pleased.
Quote by idahoimmortal
Is a 30 or 50 watt good for gigging at all though? I've never bought a guitar amp, and I know nothing about tube amps at all, I'm a bassist usually, but I've been playing a lot more guitar recently, I like it a lot more.

EDIT: The thousand dollar budget is just because I'm really impatient... I can save money for a while. I'm liking the idea of a half stack just because that gets you offers to play with other bands a lot more, it'll last me for a while, and I can get one of those sound proofing cabinets for the amp and then crank it up and get a really nice recording sound.

1. having a halfstack shouldnt be the reason why a band would ask you to play with them...

2. a half stack won't last much longer than a stack, if it does which i doubt.

a 50 watt tube combo should be enough for gigging, it depends on the size of the place your going to be, the number of people, and the volume at which the others are playing... but for most small to medium gigs, a 50 watt tube should be enough if not more than enough.
Quote by TehJermie
you do not need to play the guitar either. calm down.

I'm perfectly calm, thanks

I'm just emphasising the point that a half stack ends up being more trouble than it's worth, and simply unnecessary.
Quote by Don_Humpador
I'm perfectly calm, thanks

I'm just emphasising the point that a half stack ends up being more trouble than it's worth, and simply unnecessary.

thats only your opinion. and you know what they say about opinions.
You don't need a half stack unless you're playing at Donnington or something where you'll need to hit the fans who are a mile away.

A tube combo is fine, I would say 30+ watts
Alright, I think I'm looking at something from the Mesa/Boogie line, reviews are getting me interested, does anyone know where I can price their equipment? It's not on musiciansfriend.com
Quote by Don_Humpador
Used Peavey 6505 combo.

You do not need a half stack.

Ever tried carrying a 5150/6505 combo? I have, and my back was sore for a week. That's one combo you DO NOT want to lug around. A better alternative would be a 6505 head + 2x12 cab. Get the head biased warmer and it'll sound as good as the combo.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by idahoimmortal
Alright, I think I'm looking at something from the Mesa/Boogie line, reviews are getting me interested, does anyone know where I can price their equipment? It's not on musiciansfriend.com

Go to their website, find the dealer closest to you, and call them. Maybe call a couple others, too, just to get a cross section of prices.

I buy all my amps used, and would suggest you check eBay and your local Craig's List for Mesas, too. It's a good brand for you. Killer gain, and most models have very nice "jazz band" cleans. You could find something like a Mark IV on your budget and be set for life.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Hey! If the guy WANTS a half-stack, that's what he WANTS! Okay, I know you guys are gonna sh*t all over me for bringing this up again, but I thought it'd be fun to spec the cheapest half-stack that could still sound decent. Go ahead. Flame away about how the MG412 sucks, but I still stand by my 6-hour, side-by-side, MG412 vs. 1960AV comparison. It ain't THAT bad!

Metal-on-a-Budget, Rack-Mount Half-Stacks:

System A:

• Damage Control Solid Metal dual-12AX7 tube pedal $200
• dbx 131 single-channel graphic equalizer (+/- 12dB boost/cut) $125
• Rocktron Velocity 100 (40-Watts @ 8Ω solid-state power amp $229
• Marshall MG412 4x12 cabinet $279
• Total: $833 USD before tax and shipping.

System B:

• Engl E530 dual-12AX7 tube preamp $510
• Rocktron Velocity 100 (40-Watts @ 8Ω solid-state power amp $229
• Total: $1,018 USD before tax and shipping.

System C:

• Mesa 20/20 all-tube power amp $500 [used]
• Total: $1,289 USD before tax and shipping.

System D: (my 1/4-stack rack system):

• TC Electronic G•Major multi-effects unit $369
• dbx 1215 dual-channel 15-band graphic equalizer (+/- 15dB boost/cut) $249
• Crown D45 (25W stereo @ 8Ω; 70W bridged-mono @ 8Ω solid-state power amp $0 [$400 MAP]
• Korg DTR-1000 rack-mount digital tuner $170
• Marshall MC212 2x12 cabinet $329
• Total: $1,627 USD before tax and shipping [$2,027 if Crown D45 purchased retail].

System E: (my 1/2-stack, non-rack system):

• Peavey 6505 B-stock $799
• Alesis Midiverb 2 $0
• Total: $1,078 USD before tax and shipping.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 10, 2007,
He said he wanted a half stack because he'd like to have good equipment to use. He's also never bought an amp before. So it's probably better to buy a combo for him. If someone asks you which MG he wants to buy, are you not gonna tell him to buy something else instead?
Quote by Fama
He said he wanted a half stack because he'd like to have good equipment to use. He's also never bought an amp before. So it's probably better to buy a combo for him. If someone asks you which MG he wants to buy, are you not gonna tell him to buy something else instead?
If someone asked me if they should buy an MG amp, of course, I would steer him elsewhere. But everytime someone asks about a half-stack, they always seem to get a plethora of replies telling them, "Buy a combo." That's not what they asked. I personally don't like combos. IMO, heads and cabinets are far more flexible, and far more "upgradeable."
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto