hello, well i already have an ESP LTD EC-500S... and, i like it for the most part, its pretty comfortable to play, but...theres just something about it i cant exactly pinpoint that i dont like about it, and it may be because im sorta new that i dont got somethin set up right, but no matter what i do with it, just doesnt seem right for me, and maybe i was a bit more naive when i bought it in the first place. Question is, im thinkin bout trading up, and ive always wanted to get a gibson lp, but not spend 2k or w/e on it. If i can get a good deal with trade on a les paul studio, do you think itd be a worth while deal? I like to mess around just as a hobby and play rock, metal, some blues, now and then, tho im still workin on learnin the diff sheit, lol. So i guess, is the LP studio better then the EC500, enough so that itd be worth tradin mine in + cash im sure, to get one. Btw, if it matters, i have a peavey vk100 with 4-12 celestion g12t75s cab.
Its all about what you feel comfortable playing. For example I don't like Les Pauls because of the way the neck is carved, I prefer fenders. However I like the SG because the neck is on an angle to the body, makes it more comfortable to play rhythm. Go to a local store (preferably not Guitar Center, they're usually idiots) and just try a bunch out, find a salesperson who is also a player, they can very quickly identify the kind of guitar you are looking for. good luck!
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
you need to go to a store and see what feels the best.......i personally like fenders and schecters........it's all preference
ah, yea this ESP for me, i have "bigger fingers" i mean im not huge or soemthin, lol, just dont have danty lil fingers, and i haev a hell of a time gettin up into frets 17+ on this guitar, which is one of the things i dont like about it and also the neck feels real fat, and the corners of fretboard seem "sharp" i guess....i wasnt sure if diff ones would be easier...but your right id needa go to a store, and i was kinda thinkin bout goin to guitar center only because they got some sale this weekend, see if i could get a deal on it, but ur right, im a n00b and even i can see half of em dont know wtf theyre talkin bout. i got a local store where the guys seem real knowledgeable, but seems liek they are a lot stiffer on their prices, probably b/c they are 1 store, not a chain like GC.
its all about feel, i like epis and schecters for the most part. i also have mine set up so the strings are just about on the frets with out them buzzing. low action is a BIG thing for me.
Try a Gibson LP. If you dont like it, you wont like the Epi either. In which case, try a few non-les paul shaped guitars, just play around till you find the right one.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I have big hands as well, get something with a WIDE neck. I like fender C-necks because I can easily wrap my thumb over the top to play chords (one things big hands help with!)
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by shinedown98
ah, yea this ESP for me, i have "bigger fingers" i mean im not huge or soemthin, lol, just dont have danty lil fingers, and i haev a hell of a time gettin up into frets 17+ on this guitar, which is one of the things i dont like about it and also the neck feels real fat, and the corners of fretboard seem "sharp" i guess....i wasnt sure if diff ones would be easier...but your right id needa go to a store, and i was kinda thinkin bout goin to guitar center only because they got some sale this weekend, see if i could get a deal on it, but ur right, im a n00b and even i can see half of em dont know wtf theyre talkin bout. i got a local store where the guys seem real knowledgeable, but seems liek they are a lot stiffer on their prices, probably b/c they are 1 store, not a chain like GC.

i think u want to look for a guitar with extra jumbo frets. they should be a good size. and im serious. jumbo frets are for like children...

I say this since I have small fingers and jumbo frets and I can play sweet child o mine with the small frets. sad.
yea i need need bass guitar size frets for these fat digits....ahha jk, yea i mean i guess i just needa find a way to play the smaller ones better i guess...