Haven't owned this one, but my experience with recording devices is that you get exactly what you pay for! If you're serious about recording stuff (guitar, bass, vocals, whatever) check out either M-audio stuff, its very widely used and loved.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Cheap preamps...(anything under about $200) will give you poor results.
best thing you can do is buy good gear from the start because as you saw with your friends preamp..the cheap ones will fail over a short period of time.

With you only doing simple recordings at home with audacity you don't need top of the line gear but it is still best to get better than the low end gear.
Well for 30.00 it can't hurt to try it. I imagine it won't be very good, and you're probably better off investing in a higher end pre.
Just to make a note: You should almost ALWAYS upgrade your interface/soundcard before even considering getting new preamps. A new interface over your stock soundcard will make a world of difference - a preamp will definitely beat that of your stock soundcard, but will have no where near the impact of getting a new interface.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's bad. I had the Art Tube for several months and loved it, it sounds excellent and has little noise.

However as thrice suggested, sound card\interface makes a bigger difference. I recently got a Toneport (I don't use microphones anymore) to replace my audigy and not only is the sound better but it also has intelligent signal routing which is very important.

I would suggest getting a good interface and the ART Tube and use both at the same time I am sure you will have great results.

I believe that the Mackie Onyx already has good preamps so I would skip the ART Tube in this case.
^Yeah its definitely not a bad preamp at all - I just think you would be better off spending your money on an interface if you are just starting out.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.