Hey all, I was wondering if there is some kind of a musical piece that is total silence ?
I mean like..you press play, and when someone comes into the room, you cant hear them until you turn it off (the music) ..
So is there anything that does it ? Like mute sound ?
So.. the music doesn't make a sound, but you can't hear someone talking over it? WTF?!
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Mario^
Hey all, I was wondering if there is some kind of a musical piece that is total silence ?
I mean like..you press play, and when someone comes into the room, you cant hear them until you turn it off (the music) ..
So is there anything that does it ? Like mute sound ?

no.
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
Quote by kaptink
A composer played about 3 minutes of silence with an orchestra once.

You mean 4 minutes and 33 seconds by John Cage?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
yeah there's this really cool thing on ebay where you press play and it sucks all of the air out of the room, creating a vacuum. and there you have it, complete silence. of course you can't breathe.... and if someone opens the door it kinda doesn't work...
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
you mean like silence that blocks every sound out?

noise cancelling headphones.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Yes there is. It's called 3 minutes 54 i believe (or something like that)....awesome live!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Couldnt you get an input of the ambient sound in the room via a mike, then reverse the frequency and play that cancelling the noise like noise cancelling headphones work? That would be pretty random... It would be easier to learn to be a mime and pretend.
The greatest thing about it was someone later copied his idea...that son of a bitch got sued!!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Footzyrama
The greatest thing about it was someone later copied his idea...that son of a bitch got sued!!

Oh crap, I'm pretty sure I wrote some silence earlier... UHOH! I'm too pretty to go to prison!
What the hell are you trying to say? If I knew what you were talking about i would of helped you, but i seriously don't understand it. Explain it again.
Actually, there is something that does exactly that. Directional sound ****.

I saw on some show they pointed it at a guy and he was suddenly all like "WTF? I'm deaf!!!!!"

Can't remember what the hell it's called, but such a thing exists.
it's called the white noise. my biology teacher had one. it's supposed to cancel out annoying sounds like pencils scratching and flies buzzing. doesn't really work though
My Guitars:
One
Two
Quote by The Needles
All the kids in the coffee houses
try to act like they know what loud is
all they know is an electric beat
if you're rockin to this, you'll be rockin with me!
Anyone mentioning John Cage clearly can not read.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I want one.

I could point it at me and disappear.. at least, in my own head.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
Music with no sound that blocks sound = ****, don't divide by zero you idiot.

seriously, this is a weird question.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by *Juno*

EPIC!

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

If you played two things that were exactly 180 degrees out of phase with each other in terms of frequency, the noise would cancel out I think.
there is in the book 'sex, drugs and sausage rolls.' thats one hell of an awesome book!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I believe that physics will tell you this answer

no
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Quote by Ichimaru
You mean 4 minutes and 33 seconds by John Cage?

Exactly! I was reading the first few posts of people saying no and thinking of that piece.
Listen to my songs, but only if you are prepared for the greatest experience of your life .
I saw this thing ages ago on TV and it showed a machine that generated silence, but you had to have your head in between these 2 metal rods that emitted some kind of anti-soundwaves.

And it was a huge machine, so the idea of having like, a CD that does this is stupid.

And +1 to MedicreDemon
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour

But heaven knows I'm miserable now

I was looking for a job and then I found a job

But heaven knows I'm miserable now
Quote by Whats the story
I believe that physics will tell you this answer

no

Actually physics would tell you: If you have two waves that are perfectly out of phase and of the same amplitude, they would nullify each other. So it can probably be done and probably has been done. You would need a reciever though, you wouldn't be able to just play pre-recorded sound.