Hey, I'm Jack, you may know me from around the board.

I'm planning to start a mod to a rubbish flying v I bought off ebay a few months ago. I can't bear to look at it for much longer because of the state its in. It cost, in total £56.

What I want is some suggestions as to what i should do to it, yes, it's in a more than sorry state, but hey, thats why i'm doing this! Example: What should i do with the 'double locking' vibrato? Not forgetting the sky high action. So yeah, just tell me what i should do to it (except throw it in to a bonfire, out the window, or anything of that genre). I know a fair bit on repairs, the other guitar player in my band's dad built a valve amp, so i can always call on him, if i have to. I also forgot to mension the fact that i tryed to send it back, but the customer service was so poor, i gave up. just DONT let yourself or any friends buy one of these guitars, they truly blow. I was hoping to get the refund money and put it toward an epiphone les paul junior.

Here are some pics.

KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Umm... How can we save a guitar corpse?
Umm... Obvious ones would be replacing the trem, pickups etc., although tbh with the amoutn of cash you'll be spending on that, I'll vote on using it for firewood and putting that cash towards a far better overall guitar.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Put another spring in the back and/or increase the spring tension, that should return the bridge to normal.

If you want to lock it in place (I suggest locking the bridge in place) simply put a piece of fitting wood in the cavity of the tremolo and then increase the tension until the bridge rests on the wood.

So fixing that trem up to a playable standard is relatively free considering all you need is a piece of wood and/or a new spring.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
get a new trem, new pickups, new tuners, or maybe use the body as a template to build a good body and save the neck and use it. I like the body itself, but replace all the parts and maybe give it a new paint job.
that mofo is only good for some bottleneckin'. the action is ridiculous!

playing slide on a guitar like that almost seems like a paradox, but perhaps sand it down to a natural finish and put some low output pickups in it.

of course this only applies if you ahve any interest in blues music or slide guitar.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Thanks for the replys people.

Although i need a cheap-ish way out!

I may save it for when i get a job (i'm only 15) and paint it van halen style, get a budget floyd rose, and a p94 (humbucker sized p-90?) and a decent (but not too expensize) humbucker.

I also forgot to mension you cant tune the damn thing, put any sting up to its standard tuning and after a minute, without even playing it, it'll drop down about 2 tones, sorry if this isnt making sence but my tea's on the table!
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Quote by SG-Jack
I also forgot to mension you cant tune the damn thing, put any sting up to its standard tuning and after a minute, without even playing it, it'll drop down about 2 tones, sorry if this isnt making sence but my tea's on the table!

That's just crazy. Are you sure the strings are stretched? No way any guitar, no matter how crappy should do that repeatedly.

..maybe you just bought a pricy piece of firewood?
i'm an expert restringer, and of course i streched them :P

and yes, i do think its a pricey of firewood.
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Maybe the wood just needs to.. uhmm.. settle? Are there any areas that aren't painted? Pickup cavity?
Are the neck screws all snugly tightened up?

Hmm, can't think of anything else.
don't know, dont think so, and yes
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Well, I'm sure it'll make a lovely bonfire, if that's of any comfort to you..
Well we've missed Bonfire night, anyways... Umm... Screw on sharp bits of steel & use it for an anti-burglar weapon?
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Add another spring to the trem and then block it - the trem on a £56 guitar is never going to be any good! I reckon that's the main cause of your high action, though a neck shim might be necessary too. After that, give it a proper setup and then do what whatever the hell takes your fancy.

If you feel like modding just for modding's sake.....scalloping the frets is a pretty simple procedure and it might turn out that you actually prefer it! Also have a go at a refinish if you've got the time and patience to strip that poly finish.
The reason the action is so high is because the tremolo is not parallel to the body. You'll have to add more tension to the bridge to bring it back to parallel. You'll need to either tighten the springs by turning the two screws in the back cavity, or add another spring.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
dont think i havent thought of that

i've tighted the screws all the way in, they wont go any further!

and where can i get a spring?
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Thanks for all the replys people!

I may result to getting a new guitar...
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
^yes sensible thing to do i think, just don't buy another £56 one!
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp