Page 1 of 2
so dig im arguing wiht my freind on msn about whats better a tube or solidstate amp and heres the conversation

Brandon says:
would it be good for our type of music on the peavey windsor
exume to consume says:
hellyeah
Brandon says:
i might just buy the line 6 spider 111 half stack
exume to consume says:
it wouldnt keep up with myamp (5150)
Brandon says:
how do u know
exume to consume says:
how do i know what>?
Brandon says:
it would sound the same man
Brandon says:
tube amps ant the line 6
exume to consume says:
noo it wouldnt TRUST ME
Brandon says:
well im gettin it soo
exume to consume says:
no solidstate can conpare to a tube
Brandon says:
trust me i know my sound man
Brandon says:
im no begginer

damn you line6 for making people believe your better then tubes
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
they do really sounds like tubes....and what is the point in this thread?
POST FINDER
haha, that's quite funny. he'll get his Line6 and either still think it sounds the same/better or will realise he's wasted a load of money
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by mattreid222
they do really sounds like tubes....and what is the point in this thread?

i dont think there was one...maybe if he asked for our opinion it would make the thread slightly relevant
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Let me tell you something, you'll say the Vetta II is pretty amazing. Better is subjective, but its solid state and at least equal to a lot of tube amps I've played.
^we're talking spider
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
NOTHING beats valve/tube amps

its like saying, my 1970's typewriter is better than microsoft word, it just doesnt happen

the only thing that comes close is a cranked up valvetronics
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
the only product IMO that was ever good to come out of line 6 was Guitarport/Toneport
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
the sound like tubes but nott that realistically. get the vox ad100 if you want a good loud amp with really nice sound
Spider 3s are bad. i only hope he can A/B a tube and a line 6. And for a 5150, he would need about 200w or so to keep up i think. and an SS at that volume would be awful.
Quote by SG-Jack
its like saying, my 1970's typewriter is better than microsoft word, it just doesnt happen

I'd take a broken pencil over Microsoft Word...
cons of tube :
Cons:

* Amplifiers are heavier, due to the requirement for a speaker transformer and larger power transformers.
* Valves typically need to be replaced up to once a year to maintain peak performance.
* Valves are noisier (both hiss and microphonic components)
* Amplifiers run hot (and very few include cooling fans!)
* Expensive to buy and maintain
oh def the vetta's are very nice amps i would try to tlak him into it but....he's stuck on the spider2's and 3's because we play death metal and he thinks its the best amp for the genre i told he he could nicely get a b52 at112 combo or the nice peaveywindsor with a bad monkey or ts9, wont listen im still arguing with him, enevr ending fight damnit
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
If you play death metal, tell him the Spider is only good for pop-punk. I'm sure he'll change his mind
Quote by Denthúl
If you play death metal, tell him the Spider is only good for pop-punk. I'm sure he'll change his mind

i lent him myold spid.2 30watt and he thinks its god even though he's been playing for a little over 7 years
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
and now he wants a spider valve, fag, wait are they anygood?
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Quote by HyperBoy2519
the only product IMO that was ever good to come out of line 6 was Guitarport/Toneport

PODs aren't too bad. I wouldn't use one, but they're bearable...
you know line 6 just came out with a Spider Valve which is very good (It's tube)
Last edited by man_po_po at Nov 6, 2007,
Quote by BlackList666
and now he wants a spider valve, fag, wait are they anygood?
from what we have been told be people who have used it, they sound okay, but only okay, and far too much than they charge you for
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by HyperBoy2519

Flextone? Vetta? HD147?
Quote by HyperBoy2519

mm4? dl4? fm4?!?
POST FINDER
Holy jellyfish Batman, my silliness radar's off the scale!

"No SS can ever stand up to tube"

*facepalm*

I know I'd rather have a really good SS amp than a crap valve amp. Which do exist, by the way. I own one.

"NOTHING beats valve/tube amps. the only thing that comes close is a cranked up valvetronics"

*flaming facepalm*

Cranked up valvetronix would sound just as bad as any other cranked up SS amp. That valve in the preamp doesn't stop it. And there are better SS amps than the valvetronix.

I'm waiting for TehJermie to come in and wreak havoc on this thread
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by SG-Jack

Interesting thing, valve amps would technically be that typewriter...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Interesting thing, valve amps would technically be that typewriter...

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by man_po_po
you know line 6 just came out with a Spider Valve which is very good (It's tube)

The Spider Valve is the worst sounding tube amp I have ever heard. I spent a half hour with one in GC, and after that decided I was never going to touch a Line6 product again. They managed to make a tube amp sound digital and over processed
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by Yngwi3

Thing is that it's true.

Valve amps suck, they're ineffective, much more expensive, needs more serving, needs larger , has much worse headroom, has much more colouration and use more expensive transformers and they use really old technology (from the 30's)

That's why they own.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Capua47
cons of tube :
Cons:

* Amplifiers are heavier, due to the requirement for a speaker transformer and larger power transformers.
* Valves typically need to be replaced up to once a year to maintain peak performance.
* Valves are noisier (both hiss and microphonic components)
* Amplifiers run hot (and very few include cooling fans!)
* Expensive to buy and maintain

Power valves should be replaced every TWO years, and preamp valves every FIVE years.

Noise is an overall issue, not just with the amp. It can be you guitar's wiring, pedals, bad grounding somewhere.

Yes they run hot, but most are open back anyways.

Not expensive to maintain. If an SS amp goes bad, it's going to be hell looking for a bad solder trace. If a tube amp goes bad, either change the tubes, or change a 15 cent resistor or capacitor. If it's the transformer and what not, well, it's expensive no matter what kind of amp, tube or SS.

Line 6 is great as a whole, barring the spider series. People still like Marshall, even if the MG's are crap. Orange is a great company, even if they have the Crush series. Peavey's fantastic, even if they have the VK amps.

Stop jumping on the bandwagon and bashing line 6 without ever realizing that some of the greatest tones ever were made with line 6 technology.

I've played a Pritchard amp, and let me tell you, it's might hard to go back to my valve amps. I think the only reason I did was that I have sentimental attachment to my amps, and my wallet.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Gabel
Thing is that it's true.

Valve amps suck, they're ineffective, much more expensive, needs more serving, needs larger , has much worse headroom, has much more colouration and use more expensive transformers and they use really old technology (from the 30's)

That's why they own.

lol, yeah, I mean, why would anyone want a valve amp...

we should all load up on this solid state and modeling fad and sell our amps to buy MG halfstacks!!!

I'm joking, let's not.

But there is a reason people like valves better....
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
both th ekids in my band are like this no mattter what i say to them they are like no line 6 spyder is the greeatest amp made. i told them to try out all these tubees the were like oh i dont like tubes i like line 6. I have evenlet them play my tube amps( my completely marshallized vj which actually sounds a lil better than my 84/40 but doesnt have the volume) and they re like nope i like line 6 look at all the effects it has. i have given up but i really dont wanna have to listen to that crap for the next couple years
its impossible for a solid state amp to be better than a tube amp considering that solid states emulate tube amps. its impossible for them to be better. they can be good (and there are some good ones here and there) but still..
*removed*
Quote by BlackList666
exume to consume says:
no solidstate can conpare to a tube

Brandon says:
trust me i know my sound man
Brandon says:
im no begginer

damn you line6 for making people believe your better then tubes

I'm a tube man myself, but I can't help but disagree with that...
Quote by SG-Jack

Horrible analogy.

1970's typewriters are old technology, while Microsoft word is new. Thus implying that Tubes are crap, and digital is where it's at.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by _Buxton_
its impossible for a solid state amp to be better than a tube amp considering that solid states emulate tube amps. its impossible for them to be better. they can be good (and there are some good ones here and there) but still..

it's not impossible!

just because you put some tubes on a circuit board does not make it automatically better than a possibly better designed board using transistors.

christ.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Rofl.

Yeah, a roland cube 60X sounds like ass while a Fender Champion 5W is just amazing stuff right there.

A couple of outdated chunks of glass make it all the worthwhile, I'm gonna start gigging it right away ;]

It's funny, 90% of you gear junkies out there immediately assume tube > SS simply because it all started with Tube.

True, most tubes are better than their equal SS counterparts. Most. The spider is actually pretty frikkin' good for a loud, reliable SS combo. It handles its' tones really well with the right pedals, especially at lower volumes. I have a 75W practice amp right now ;P Suits me well, although I'm still getting an Epi Valve Jr.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I like tube amps because I have ears. No solid state besides a Roland Jazz Chorus has been able to give me sounds that I've been satisfied with like a Fender Twin Reverb, Boogie Lone Star, or my Boogie Mark IV can. Also, tubes may be less reliable, but you can also change the amps tone by changing brands. It's a small sacrifice for the versatility you get, IMO. Also, Spider amps are garbage. I don't really even like the Flextone. Never played the Vetta, but my natural prejudices would probably keep me from liking that, too.
Hi, I'm Peter
there should be a term for that come to think of it.

ampcist?
tubcist?

not yet...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
FYI, SS are much more reliable amps that run for much longer than a tube ever could. They require much less maintenance and put out a pretty hefty wattage, considering the deficiency transistors naturally have over tubes.

Technically speaking, SS are much more efficient, and cheaper to manufacture amps. TECHNICALLY speaking, SS are better amps than tube.

HOWEVER.

Well over half of all guitarists out there prefer the sound of tubes over transistors. Why? Beats the crap outta me but they do. They produce a much better tone most of the time than their EQUAL COUNTERPARTS utilizing transistors.

HOWEVER.

I can guarantee you. A non modded Epiphone Valve Junior head through a randall 2x12 will NOT hold its' own against a Vetta II through the same cab.

Tubes aren't always better. Tip the scales and SS can outpower and outperform tubes in every which way, but on an even playing field tubes are usually generally more desirable amps.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Page 1 of 2