What exactly are the benefits of chromatic exercises, and what should I concentrate on when doing them?
Err, helps build right hand and left hand co-ordination (lol?). Start slow and work up, use a metronome.

Here are some examples you could use

1-2-3-4

4-3-2-1

1-3-4-2

1-4-2-3
Benefits:
Learning to pick. You can try different types of picking like alternate and downpicking etc.
Getting your fingers to move faster.
learning to move to different strings faster.
Speeding up your playing.
making your playing more clean.
Been away, am back
lol yes, ever since seeing that video earlier this year I immediately think of Mick whenever I think about chromatics.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Try to concentrate on fretting the note and picking the note at the same time. Also remember to keep your hand relaxed, personally I find that I often feel the need to squeeze my hand when I do chromatics, not good.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by Baasoromyuu
lol yes, ever since seeing that video earlier this year I immediately think of Mick whenever I think about chromatics.

Yep, me too. I think of this line too...

"F*#$ the pinky!"

...Mick isn't exactly what I would want my daughter to date but he is knowledgable lol.

Chris