View poll results: Which guitar
Gibson SG 61 Reissue
18 35%
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 50's Neck
18 35%
Ibanez JS1200
15 29%
Voters: 51.
I am trying to decide between these three guitars, and was wondering what others suggested.

~Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded '50s Neck
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-50s-Neck?sku=517523

~Gibson SG '61 Reissue
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-61-Reissue-Electric-Guitar?sku=517210

~Ibanez JS1200
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-JS1200-Joe-Satriani-Signature-Guitar?sku=519419

I am open to suggestions, but am pretty set on one of these three, just can't decide which. Also, How do some of the cheaper(epiphone) Les Pauls and SGs compare to the more expensive models? I play anywhere from Frank Zappa to Guns n' Roses to Satriani. I use a Boss GT-8, and play through a ValveKing 212
Last edited by ikeman868 at Nov 6, 2007,
well the gibs are completly differant to the ibanez. try out one of the gibsons and the ibanez, if you perfer the gibson, try out the other gibson and see witch one you prepare. or if you prefer the ibanez, get it lol.

But if it was my cash, even though i play metal i'd take the les paul. I love the feel and the tone of them.
Last edited by [I Buy Peace] at Nov 6, 2007,
I have an SG standard and Love ot the. If u play Zappa and GNR id get the SG. It should do Satriani OK to. The Les Paul has not upperfret access so it might not be the best choice. The satriani is also a great shredding guitar but idk how chords sound on it. Overall SG all the way.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
well i would go with the les paul. i dont have a gibson les paul so i dont know how much that opinion means but i do have a epiphone les paul custom and i think it plays better and even sounds better than some gibsons ive played at guitar center. I definatly think that if you have the money though you should go with gibson les paul.
SG 61 reissue, most definitely. I've been lusting since one ever since I got my Special Faded. You may also want to try the les paul, though. Some people can't stand the upper fret access, others don't mind it at all, and some people don't like the SG's tone compared the LP. Anyway, bonus points if you get one of the limited edition SG's with the ebony or classic white finishes!
Quote by Fuzzbox91
I have an SG standard and Love ot the. If u play Zappa and GNR id get the SG. It should do Satriani OK to. The Les Paul has not upperfret access so it might not be the best choice. The satriani is also a great shredding guitar but idk how chords sound on it. Overall SG all the way.

a LP has the same fret access as an sg honestly, plus they both have 22 frets (which might be an annoyance while playing some satch.) do u really want a trem TS? if it's not worth the hassle to you i'd suggest the paul
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I have a whammy pedal set up on my GT-8, so I don't have to have that, the only thing i was concerned with the les paul was the weight of it
Quote by ikeman868
I have a whammy pedal set up on my GT-8, so I don't have to have that, the only thing i was concerned with the les paul was the weight of it

the only way to know if you like the weight or not it to actually play one and see for yourself. i personaly prefer the weight of a LP and cant stand the "lightweight" guitars (ibanez, fender ect..). the only problem i can see with the weight of a les paul is how your back would feel after standing with one for an hour or so. but if this guitar is for home practice only i don't think that would be a problem.

however, if you do decide to go for either an SG or LP might i suggest an ESP eclipse or viper to save you some cash you could later put towards a better amp
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
The JS is such an awesome guitar...
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
sgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsg.

SG > Les Paul > Signature models.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
the Les Paul.
Advantages: Great tone, nice sustain, and it looks cool. lol
Disadvantages: Its heavy, sticky neck at first.

But thats just me.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
yeah but the js isnt over priced (coughjemcough)
and it plays like butter

its VERY versatile too
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Les Pauls also have poor upper fret access and an unbalanced body.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
and most les pauls have painted necks, which i think imo are horrible for moving around quickly
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
those guitars all feel and sound very, very different from one another. everything from necks to weight to tone. thus you probably haven't tried them out/haven't tried them out extensively. i highly highly highly suggest you spend a couple of hours doing so before dropping $1500 on a guitar.
The les paul
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL
well played sir, well played
If Canadia wasn't a real place then where would Canadians come from?

T_T
I plan on making a trip to Guitar Center in the near future to try them all out. I wouldn't buy a guitar with out trying it out first
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Standard Plus(Honey Burst finish)
Fernandes Retrorocket Elite
Boss GT-8
ValveKing 212
uhhhh. Satch's guitar is good and all but Id take the SG. even though you would have much more flexibility with the ibanez. I really dont want a Gibson Les Paul since IMO they are overrated and dont sound good for my play style. I do want the slash or zakk wylde signature though. preferably because they have good pickups and the slash one is just great and the ZW has the paint...
Quote by Ishiga
SG > Les Paul > Signature models.

The LP IS a sig model, quite possibly the most sucessful sig model ever
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
The SG would IMO be the best. Personally I wasn't to fond of the shape of the neck, it was quite flat, which I guess would be good for shredding though.
the '61 reissue most definitely i want a white one oh so badly
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Nov 7, 2007,
those are totally different guitars... if you don't have some kind of preference you need to play them all a bit more...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shredhead22
a LP has the same fret access as an sg honestly, plus they both have 22 frets (which might be an annoyance while playing some satch.) do u really want a trem TS? if it's not worth the hassle to you i'd suggest the paul

The JS has 22 frets and he seems to get by on that. the SG has much better fret acess. Yes they both have the same amount of frets but u can reach the SGs much faster becase you dont have to worry about a 2 inch thick block of wood getting in ur way when u progress to higher frets. I have an LP and and an SG.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)