Im entered into a musician/singer competition, and can't find a song to play.
Last year I went with Canon Rock, which went down fairly well. Im looking for something along the same lines - doesnt have any vocal track(or very little vocals,as I won't be singing), and sounds impressive to a general audience - excluding guitarists.

If its something with tabs/backing track available, I'd give life and limb for some info on it.

I'll need to learn it within the next 10 days, so nothing extremely complex - big sweeping movements are a no-no.

All I've been thinking on so far is impelliterri's 17th century chicken pickin', but it falls on being a very short track, and may not sound great to a non-guitarist audience.

Any help at all would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Try Andy McKee - Drifting... I Learnt That In Under 3 Days

Type It Into Youtube And You'll Find Different Tutorials On It

it Looks Hard... But Really It's A Piece Of Pie
Feelin' SUPERdamnfabulous
2nd the classical gas
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Those two are great - really like the first one.
I was looking for something more along the lines of canon rock though - lots of distortion, very happy tone etc. Failing that though,I think I'll go with drifting
Quote by Acidx
Those two are great - really like the first one.
I was looking for something more along the lines of canon rock though - lots of distortion, very happy tone etc. Failing that though,I think I'll go with drifting

Jordan - Buckethead.

The Guitar Hero II version is pretty decent and not too hard.

The only hard part IMO is the break-down, which is a sweep, so it's up to you to decide.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Jordan - Buckethead.

The Guitar Hero II version is pretty decent and not too hard.

The only hard part IMO is the break-down, which is a sweep, so it's up to you to decide.

But then everyone will go: "lulz, that song is easy, I can play that on the expert setting"
For the Love of God - Steve Vai

Cause We've Ended as Lovers - Jeff Beck

Bloom - Eric Johnson

The Rain Song - Led Zeppelin (just cut out the vocals)
Ocean.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by superfabulous
Try Andy McKee - Drifting... I Learnt That In Under 3 Days

Type It Into Youtube And You'll Find Different Tutorials On It

it Looks Hard... But Really It's A Piece Of Pie

Are you serious!? That song is easy? wow, I never knew, it looks so difficult. Im too scared to try and learn it. im not good without a pick anyway. (even with a pick im not good )

Yeah but if you can learn that, then you'll win the competition hands down, its such a beautiful song.
I dunno, but I think that Summer Song (Satriani) or Cliffs of Dover (Johnson) have pretty good appeal to non-guitarists.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by Galvanise69

if you want some nice songs to play, no just running up and down the neck one hundred times repetitivley, than id reccomend one of these two songs by any of these artists

Have you ever heard the song? Because I respect that not all people like Malmsteen, but I don't really see what's repetitive about that song. There is less repetition in Far Beyond the Sun than in most rock songs I've heard.

Anyway, I don't think the TS will be able to learn that song in 10 days.

I agree with Tender Surrender as a suggestion, though. That ought to win over the crowd.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Ocean.
Seconded, if its the studio version. It looks and sounds alot harder than what it really is.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I agree than Yngwie is maybe not the best thing to do. Impressive for guitarists yes, but for non-guitarists maybe not. Plus there's the fact that in the version I've heard there's two guitar tracks I'm pretty sure, plus keyboard, plus drums, so maybe not. And the fact that it's insanely shredful and would take a while to learn.

Maybe Hybrids Of Steel by Arch Enemy? Instrumental, shred, although it does have two guitar parts, so maybe not. Hmm, dunno if I have any more ideas sorry. If I think of anything I'll let you know.
sig goes here
It's cool man, I just think Yngwie catches a little more flak than he deserves to. His older records were good IMO, but it's an acquired taste, and I used to despise him myself (although that was before I had actually listened to much of his music. I was lame). I can't stand listening to him for hours though. In the long run, I agree that he gets repetitive. But then again, every guitar player has a "trick bag" of limited size, so licks and ideas tend to get repeated.

Anyways, it's a good point that not everyone in your audience will be a guitar player, and they'll be impressed by other things than sheer shredding. When you cross a certain point, most people will just hear "fast playing", and to many that is unpleasing.

Edit: By the way TS, another suggestion is "Eugene's Trick Bag" from the movie Crossroads, performed by Steve Vai. It's an arrangement of Paganini's 5th Caprice for solo guitar, so if you want something in the vein of Canon Rock that might be an idea. It's not as "happy" sounding as Canon Rock, though.

Edit 2: It's not the "Crossroads" movie with Britney Spears in it.
Last edited by kyrreca at Nov 8, 2007,
midnight - joe satriani
the crossroads solo, some sweeps, but with enough work theyre doable
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
i did purple haze for a talent show a while back and won, i just skipped straight through the pauses, like where he says "scuse me while i kiss the sky" but I picked it cuz i knew what kinda audience it would probably be, there wasn't anybody familiar with guitar there, and there were a lot of old people (it was for a library). and all the other acts sucked except for one guy who was singing and he got second.