To start off with let me just say i know what pinch harmonics are and how to do them...my question is this:

when you hear recordings of guitarists doing them it always sounds like the guitar really is squealing or shrieking, when i do it it sounds like a harmonic...how do they get that

1) volume
2)sustain

from it?
the fact that they have very very good equipment would be a start, you need as much distortion as possible, from there on its really just perfecting how to do it.
Don't forget in the studio you can take as many takes as necessary to get the perfect sound. Not to mention overdubbing it to get a nice thick sound and adding some effects. You might also want to see what kind of pick-ups your favorite players are using. Also the closer the pick-up is to the string the hotter the sound.

"Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument."
-Steve Vai-

http://www.ultimate-guitar-advice.blogspot.com

www.learn-electric-guitar.com
Vibrato. If you just let it sit, they sound really boring. Give 'em a shake and they come to life.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by johnaxe
Also the closer the pick-up is to the string the hotter the sound.

You have to be careful with this though as if you get it too close you will be losing sustain.

Anyway, try putting some compression in your signal chain; that can add a lot of sustain to your tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
heres how i do it
(((((my equipment...either a schecter synyster custom
or an ibanez grg170dx
line 6 amp...SPIDER II (I REALLY WANT A NEW ONE))))
ANYWAYS....

Step One...If you can get a single coil setting on your guitar...USE IT!!!SWITH TO IT (MAKES IT ALOT EASIER)

Step Two...Get the most distortion you can on your amp and tweak the treble up a littl ehigher then everything else..might help a lil

Step Three...grab your pick try gripping it to where your thumb just goes past the picks tip so that when you pluck the string with your pick it immediately touches your thumb for a spilt second.

Step Four...try holding don 3rd frett of the 3rd or 4th string (i feel those are the easiest to pull the harmonic on ans pluck and vibrato at the same time

just keep trying and trying and trying cuz it takes a lot of people a lot of time to get it down really well
at first u prolly wont get **** but eventualyy you do it and be like oh thats ****ing sweet
btw let me know if your having trouble or if anythings unclear
glad to help a fellow uger
Quote by SyN6661
heres how i do it
(((((my equipment...either a schecter synyster custom
or an ibanez grg170dx
line 6 amp...SPIDER II (I REALLY WANT A NEW ONE))))
ANYWAYS....

Step One...If you can get a single coil setting on your guitar...USE IT!!!SWITH TO IT (MAKES IT ALOT EASIER)

Step Two...Get the most distortion you can on your amp and tweak the treble up a littl ehigher then everything else..might help a lil

Step Three...grab your pick try gripping it to where your thumb just goes past the picks tip so that when you pluck the string with your pick it immediately touches your thumb for a spilt second.

Step Four...try holding don 3rd frett of the 3rd or 4th string (i feel those are the easiest to pull the harmonic on ans pluck and vibrato at the same time

just keep trying and trying and trying cuz it takes a lot of people a lot of time to get it down really well
at first u prolly wont get **** but eventualyy you do it and be like oh thats ****ing sweet

...no. Humbuckers are definitely better for pinch harmonics than single coils.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

really???
damn i got to go try that know....brb..........
eh i find it just a bit more difficult
its a humbucker, but with one of the coils turned off
hey guys...I got some really good tips on building a setup for pinch harmonics...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11073844#post11073844

1) DRIVE!!!!!

A good old fashioned overdrive pedal will work wonders. Metal pedals are great
for pushing the amp into ranges where the harmonics will ring more obviously.
Not much to say here...more power= more sound..more sound= more harmonics.

2) Compressor

Compressors are good because they can raise sound levels or lower sound
levels. A lot of you players out there will have your pinch harmonics sounding
a little faint. A compressor can raise the volume up to the same volume your
regular notes are sounding at. Compression can bring down your top end
just a bit..but it will be worth it....and you probably wont even be playing at
10..so it wont matter too much. Your natural harmonics will start to jump out.

WARNING: Compression may lead to unhappiness. lol...strings that you have
been clipping by accident will now have enough presence to ruin
your day. You will hear more mistakes ..which can make better practice.
Feedback will also change...take time to experiment.

3) Noise gate

With all of that amplification of the Overdrive or distortion and the Compressor...
you will be sure to have some unwanted buzz in the background. Your amp is
gonna be humming like a V8. A noise gate will destroy all of that unwanted
background noise. No matter how good your harmonics sound..that buzz behind
the music will kill any mood..or chase off any crowd. The noise gate acts as a filter.
Any noise created before the noise gate will be not be allowed to pass through.
You have to set the noise gate at a desired level and nothing below that sound
level will come through. If you set it too high..you will have to pick your strings
at a certain amount of force before they will ring out. They can also help you to
cover mistakes such as clipping strings on bends...as we mentioned before.
For example...if you take the pressure you normally use to pluck a string for a note
and set the noise gate at barely below that sound level...the noise gate will not
allow sound to travel through if it was created with less force than it took you to
pluck that string. If you bump a string by accident it wont matter. You can set it to
a point were it will not allow any sound to pass through it unless it is created by
enough force. The pedals are creating the buzz...so you just set it at a level were
as long as you don't touch a string...sound will not pass. Fuzz Busted!!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Nov 7, 2007,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

I thought it didn't make any difference as long as you're using the bridge pup?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
try putting on the bridge pickup or using a wah pedal pressed all the way down. that usually makes it scream i find. i dont really have trouble with making notes scream. i dont use pinch harmonics too much but once in a while i do. i dont know if it means anything at all but are you up stroking or down stroking the note you are trying to do a pinch harmonic on? i find its easier with an up stroke.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try putting on the bridge pickup or using a wah pedal pressed all the way down. that usually makes it scream i find. i dont really have trouble with making notes scream. i dont use pinch harmonics too much but once in a while i do. i dont know if it means anything at all but are you up stroking or down stroking the note you are trying to do a pinch harmonic on? i find its easier with an up stroke.

You do pinches with an up-pick? How do you do that?

I can only do them with a down-pick, I find it much easier to catch the string with my thumb to make it scream, then.

PM if you'd like to collaborate on any rock/hard rock/metal stuff
      Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
      I thought it didn't make any difference as long as you're using the bridge pup?

Humbuckers are still best because of the increased output (at least in my experience). I can do pinch harmonics regardless of pickup type, even on acoustic, humbuckers just help bring it out.

^ I used to be able to alternate pick pinch harmonics. I would catch the harmonic node with the knuckle of my index finger. I'm rather out-of-practice for that now, but yeah.
      Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
      Vibrato. If you just let it sit, they sound really boring. Give 'em a shake and they come to life.

Best post here.

Vibrato is a must. If you can, bend it up AND give it vibrato. Sounds excellent.
      Quote by marmoseti
      Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.