Well ive read up and theres apparently..

economy picking
sweep.. or was it sweet... picking
alternate picking.

Seems like just pickin down every time works fastest for me, but what should I practice so i do it the right way.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
scales. Practice going up and down scales alternating your picking.

and it's sweep picking...but it is pretty sweet if you can do it!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
thanks guys! is alternate picking up minor pentatonic\chromatics for like half hour everyday gonna help? i think itll help dexterity and my overall lead skills that way i know t he scales as well too.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
Alternate picking minor pentatonic/chromatics for half an hour every day will definitely help. Make sure you do it with a metronome, so you can keep in time and record your progress. Start at a comfortable speed, then when you feel ready, nudge the metronome up a few bpm. It may seem slow, but in a few of months you look back and realise that you've increased your speed dramatically.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
well i did stuff like that. i can tell u this (i am self taught btw): sweeping, start slow go faster. learn the A Minor arpeggio, and just repeat that , slow > fast > little slower > faster etc. i basically play guitar whenever i have spare time, but i progress fast because i am a fast learner when it comes to stuff i like :P

for alternate, dont expect it to just come to u. it took me shorter to economy pick (i started gutiar in march of this year), but im still mastering my alternate stuff. keep practicing everyday, but always leave room to learn songs u like to make it funner ^^
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Black Dog by Led Zeppelin is a great song to practice economy picking. The first time you play it you may have to think about going up or down. But soon it will come naturally. Also, I feel it's easier and more fun to learn economy picking while learning a song instead of just playing scales.
Alternate picking is like breathing for playing guitar. Its not an either/or
situation. You can't really be good at economy picking unless you're also
good alternate picking, but the reverse is not true. That's because economy
picking conditions only occur in specific situations, whereas alternate is good for
anything.
alternate picking always, some may disagree, but imo alternate has way better tone than economy. i can sacrifice a few NPS.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon